HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 7:39 PM

^ So you're saying tearing the barriers down would bring more people to the corner?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There are never any panhandlers on that corner because the barriers keep foot traffic away...
I've seen panhandlers there....

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The barriers also keep panhandlers away, the photo showed a barrier free P & M and barrier free the panhandlers would move in seconds after!

Off topic but with all the money spent to beautify and re-energize downtown do panhandlers on every street corner not totally detract from what the city and business are trying to do, the mess of the so-called homeless encampment at the foot of the Disraeli and other homeless squalor throughout the downtown is a huge negative for Winnipeg, seriously the impression those visiting Winnipeg must get when the city looks third world!~
Vancouver homeless encampments put Winnipeg’s to shame! There are panhandlers in every major city in the world! What are you going on about!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 9:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Vancouver homeless encampments put Winnipeg’s to shame! There are panhandlers in every major city in the world! What are you going on about!
It's rrskylar, half of the debbie-downer duo and king of gloom. What else would you expect?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 7:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
What cities have panhandlers standing at every controlled intersection?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 1:17 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Idk, but Winnipeg isn't one of them

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:01 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
The barriers also keep panhandlers away, the photo showed a barrier free P & M and barrier free the panhandlers would move in seconds after!

Off topic but with all the money spent to beautify and re-energize downtown do panhandlers on every street corner not totally detract from what the city and business are trying to do, the mess of the so-called homeless encampment at the foot of the Disraeli and other homeless squalor throughout the downtown is a huge negative for Winnipeg, seriously the impression those visiting Winnipeg must get when the city looks third world!~
lol you need to get out more man. Hell even place like Nanaimo have a bigger problem than Winnipeg. Last time I was in Hamilton I was shocked how many people were out on the streets. But also I'm guessing you're not one to vote for progressive politicians who might actually do something to help those people so what do you want? Arrest them all for being homeless and ship them off to the gulag?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver...
All cities with metro populations much larger than Winnipeg. How about cities like Quebec city, Hamilton or other cities with similar populations? Do we see the same amount of pan handlers, tent camps and violent crime in those places?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
lol you need to get out more man. Hell even place like Nanaimo have a bigger problem than Winnipeg. Last time I was in Hamilton I was shocked how many people were out on the streets. But also I'm guessing you're not one to vote for progressive politicians who might actually do something to help those people so what do you want? Arrest them all for being homeless and ship them off to the gulag?
Homelessness is a huge problem everywhere. It didn't take me much searching to find video of tent cities in places like Vancouver and Edmonton that would shock most people in Winnipeg. I agree that some original, progressive policies will be needed to address this issue.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
All cities with metro populations much larger than Winnipeg. How about cities like Quebec city, Hamilton or other cities with similar populations? Do we see the same amount of pan handlers, tent camps and violent crime in those places?
Yup.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:57 PM

Meth is the main driver of this explosion of homelessness in Winnipeg. If you're on meth, you don't get to stay in the shelters. Shelters have rules, meth users don't like rules.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:13 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Yup.
Quebec City? Really?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:21 PM

Homelessness and panhandling are everywhere.

Specific to Winnipeg, I usually see the same people at the same locations. I expect to see the guy with the cane shaking his hat at me on Disraeli at Main every time I go by.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:24 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:

Specific to Winnipeg, I usually see the same people at the same locations. I expect to see the guy with the cane shaking his hat at me on Disraeli at Main every time I go by.

But doesn't it appear to be getting worse (more plentiful), everywhere?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:26 PM

In Winnipeg or everywhere meaning the world? Seems like it goes in cycles. I haven't seen many panhandlers out in the burbs recently. But have like I mentioned see the same people in the downtown all the time. If people would stop giving money, the problem would go away. Go away meaning people would stop panhandling and have to do something else. Maybe rely on government programs or something. This is the issue we need tor resolve. The problem of homelessness would not go away of course.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Saw a homeless guy on interviewed on TV who was living at the squatter camp in the park on the NW corner of Disraeli, said he makes $40 a day panhandling, enough for food and his girlfriends cigarettes, guy looked able bodied for work but with his and his girls combined welfare and tax free panhandling "earnings" why bother right!

In a society where just about everything is provided for those who don't feel the need to look after themselves or contribute to society maybe the social safety net is too good and becomes a disincentive to be productive!

PS Purchased a large box of granola bars that I hand out to those who approach my vehicle, some politely say no thanks others grudgingly accept.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:37 PM

I'll give out food if I have it. Never money.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Nanaimo has always been a shithole, those who can't cut it on Vancouver Island end up living there.

I've travelled through dozens of European cities and never saw the numbers of panhandlers that you see here, I sincerely doubt the social safety net in most European countries is any better than it is here.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Nanaimo has always been a shithole, those who can't cut it on Vancouver Island end up living there.

I've travelled through dozens of European cities and never saw the numbers of panhandlers that you see here, I sincerely doubt the social safety net in most European countries is any better than it is here.
Do you even think before you touch your keyboard? Homeless population counts are very difficult to get and can often vary, but to say that you "never saw the numbers of panhandlers that you see here" which directly implies that we have a homeless population problem and European cities do not, is demonstrably false.

This infographic suggests that the homeless population in many western European countries is not insignificant. Moreover, when you traveled to European cities, did you do so intentionally looking to tour their decrepit and rundown neighborhoods or did you travel there to explore well-known and prosperous regions, sights, and destinations? It all comes down to where you go.

What you see in your day to day life in Winnipeg is not comparable to the sample bias of visiting touristy destinations in large European cities. One could easily argue that a European tourist who flew to Winnipeg and took a taxi around to visit all of our famous local destinations would leave with a similar sentiment about their own hometown. If you came to Manitoba, stayed at the Fort Garry and used a taxi to see the airport, Museum for Human Rights, The Forks, Assiniboine forest and park, the Zoo, Exchange district, Winnipeg Art Gallery, Birds Hill Park, and Grand Beach, you would likely return home thinking that Winnipeg was a clean and tidy modern city with above-average green space (especially to European standards). Of course we as citizens know that there are issues here - including homelessness - but these issues are not unique to any urban area in the western world.

As for numbers of homeless in Winnipeg, a recent homeless census surveyed around 1,400 people, while another google search suggests 3,000 to 14,000 - a massive range. The point is that any city is going to have homeless people and that Winnipeg isn't above-average in this regard but it's still an issue we should work towards addressing. However, comparing your tourist visits which are likely limited to major European sites is not comparable to what you see every day in Winnipeg or any city one would live in for that matter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan