HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:06 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
If you have a chance to drive down Carlton, you should. Really get a feel for how immense (and dense) this project is. That plaza is going to feel overwhelming, in a good way. Can't wait for Sutton Place to go ahead, it's going to be an awesome experience on Carlton, if they get towers 3 and 4 right.
My hope is that the square sorta spills into the Sutton place project a bit kinda along the arc formed by tower 2.

Maybe something like this:

Very rough but you get the idea of integrating the lines from the current build.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:15 PM
What could go wrong?

....new page, updated photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:21 PM
There is always a way

Reclaiming your place as the official image bumper? ^^

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:56 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^Stayed up all night.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Quietly, the residential tower is starting to pick up some speed. That's a solid 3 floors in the last month. My guess is it will almost be the same height as the office building when it tops out. It will be close. Very exciting nonetheless to see how much progress is taking place!
It was my understanding that tower 2 will or might have some residential, not exclusively or entirely. I thought there will be a mixed usage with a fair size of it for office space as well, perhaps as market demands going forward?
I am guessing residential @ tower 2 would be rentals with Sutton Place condos as tower 4?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 5:06 PM

There will be boutique office and residential apartments in tower 2. I think the first 3 floors or something are the office part.

Sutton Place was to have condos and the hotel.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 5:54 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
It was my understanding that tower 2 will or might have some residential, not exclusively or entirely. I thought there will be a mixed usage with a fair size of it for office space as well, perhaps as market demands going forward?
I am guessing residential @ tower 2 would be rentals with Sutton Place condos as tower 4?
The first 4 floors of Tower 2 commercial/office space. The remaining floors are residential.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The first 4 floors of Tower 2 commercial/office space. The remaining floors are residential.
Interesting, that's definitely news to me.

I'm still not bullish on our downtown office market but if they fill this without cannibalizing the downtown market I'll be ecstatic!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 12:15 AM

Is creating a hellish wind tunnel on Graham and Hargraves part of the plan to drive people into the square? I never noticed on the renderings that there's zero setback on those towers.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 1:10 PM

TNSE can do no wrong. It's the wind's fault.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 2:13 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Is creating a hellish wind tunnel on Graham and Hargraves part of the plan to drive people into the square? I never noticed on the renderings that there's zero setback on those towers.
Obviously it had to be approved by someone. When I first saw the plans that did in fact occur to me that it would be a wind funnel but I thought that the engineers and architects knew better and that I was probably just misinformed... turns out the logic is sound.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 2:17 PM

Meh. Downtown Winnipeg is a giant wind tunnel at the best of times, I doubt TNS will make any appreciable difference. When I used to live at 15 Kennedy, it often felt like there was a stiff cold breeze blasting down Kennedy all winter long.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
TNSE can do no wrong. It's the wind's fault.
well true
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Meh. Downtown Winnipeg is a giant wind tunnel at the best of times, I doubt TNS will make any appreciable difference. When I used to live at 15 Kennedy, it often felt like there was a stiff cold breeze blasting down Kennedy all winter long.
Setbacks can certainly be useful for streetscaping and creating interactive space between project and road, but that was never the agenda for TNSE... it was alllll about sucking people into a vortex of mixed use density. It makes sense to minimize setbacks here because you simply cannot squeeze this ambition into the site otherwise.

Setbacks are often the bane and guillotine of ambitious projects, so I'm not upset about this one.

As for the wind... well, whatever, minor problem IMO

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 10:05 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Reclaiming your place as the official image bumper? ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^Stayed up all night.
It's about time.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 7:42 PM

You are probably damned if you do and damned if you don't. Broadview Manor has setback CRUs and that was described as not good by that UofW article on parkades.
The set back came in handy today with the thunderstorm.

I still would like to see a project built using a whole city block so that there are no compromises.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 7:45 PM

Pouring concrete in the rain over the last hour or two.

Also can see the ramp is taking shape along Carlton under the podium.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 8:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Any worse than Portage & Main?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Interesting, that's definitely news to me.

I'm still not bullish on our downtown office market but if they fill this without cannibalizing the downtown market I'll be ecstatic!
With Sterling Bldg. and Medical Arts Office towers converting to residential, It will help a bit for new office market. Plus it does grow some each year. In a couple of years I can see some proposal for some major office tower for early 2020 's

Last edited by BAKGUY; Aug 4, 2017 at 9:58 PM. Reason: Edit

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 9:40 PM

Also, I think people are downplaying the impact Bell's fibre network will have on the tech industry here. Winnipeg is already being recognized as top-tier market for tech companies, due to a really great community and low cost-of-business. This could have a massive domino effect where we see a lot of tech companies setting up shop here.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Also, I think people are downplaying the impact Bell's fibre network will have on the tech industry here. Winnipeg is already being recognized as top-tier market for tech companies, due to a really great community and low cost-of-business. This could have a massive domino effect where we see a lot of tech companies setting up shop here.
I am optimistic as well. Hoping it translates to decent paying jobs )which of late we have lost plenty of) and the increased demand for more office space.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Aug 5, 2017 at 12:33 AM. Reason: edit

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan