HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 4:23 PM

esquire don't bother arguing with these bafoons

the government had huge input and influence on how the public space was going to be developed and used theyshould help fund a portion of it.. not to mention its a public space on a lot being built by a private corporation.. you morons this space is going to generate millions in taxes as opposed to 800,000 dollars the surface lot was generating..

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 4:25 PM

you guys r bafoonssss 400 million dollar project and you guys complain that government needs to fund some of the landscaping and sky walk systems that are only going to better service you and other tax paying ppl

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
My only concern is that these very large projects asking for tens of millions in TIF money will turn government and the public against TIF. The Province in particular hates the optics of these announcements handing huge money to big developers, even if it a good investment. The downtown residential grant program did so much good and got dozens of smaller projects built. These are the key to building neighbourhood downtown and stimulating growth...for a tiny fraction of the cost. If we don't get another program because of the optics of megaprojects killed TIF, that would be a real shame.

If I was in charge the TIF would cap out and be focused on small projects. It would be far more impactful.
THIS!

Not to sound cynical, but this is a small component of my rants in the political thread (or whenever anything veers off into the political)... This city has a hard time imagining anything getting done without tax dollars while simultaneously always pushing back when tax dollars aid a large private project... the old "putting money in the pockets of developers" mindset creeping up... when success happens in Winnipeg, its often decried.

As a result, the government is apprehensive in helping larger developers, movers and shakers because of a potential voters backlash, whether to programs like the TIF or in the next elections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't see why it is preferable to provide TIF incentives to smaller developers only... if the Hofers want to renovate another 6 storey Exchange District building, then why should they get preferential TIF treatment while Artis or Longboat get shut out because they want to build 40+ storey buildings? To my mind we're either OK with TIFs or we're not.

I think the argument for doing away with them altogether is a lot stronger than changing up the TIF program to favour smaller developers just because they're smaller.
You're absolutely correct. But envy creeps up if it appears that "fortunate, well-heeled developers" like TN get a helping hand. The Hofer projects do not make news on the same scale, whereas any larger projects has all those people who watch too much TV crying out for gotham-like corruption. They ask "where's my handout" without understanding a) the massive risk taken on, b) the massive civic/social benefit of these projects, and c) the numbers gotta work... these projects wouldn't have gone ahead without the funding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
So the city with no money wants to pump $20M into this project in the guise of “amenities”, $3M to the bum's plaza, $17 M for connections and skywalk connections. How about NO!

Like I said before, nothing can be built downtown without the stink of tax dollars!
Quote:
Hey someone noticed!

So earlier in the week we hear Bowman and city council crying poor because we shot the wad with the snow clearing budget (city had to spend money to clear basically the one snowfall we had in the winter of 16-17) but miraculously there is $20M to funnel into the TNSE project. Either the city has money or it doesn't, Bowman and council come across looking like complete idiots if they approve this!
Quote:
I'd be really impressed if TNSE didn't feel the need to take a dime of tax dollars for this project!

Not taking a dime would really stand out because it would be the first project built downtown in 50 years without the stink of govt. money attached to it!
Quote:
Just how close is our downtown to being in a stage where everything built doesn't need govt. funding, are we there yet, are we close, will it ever be the case?
You and I agree on a number of things, and I share your sentiment in PRINCIPLE...

but as I have said (I'm still waiting on a "Hey someone noticed moment" myself haha!), construction costs are too high here, which is a mostly private sector matter. If our costs were as low as Vancouver's, we would need less government funding in these projects.

That said, when the civic benefit is measurably great, and when the developers jump through umpteen hoops to satisfy the city, some level of assistance is not unreasonable. After all, they're doing something the city cannot.

Still, this program was designed to be tax neutral in the end, and for the time being, was already budgeted in. Any money the city was out of was counted after it was allotted, fairly, to these types of projects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
esquire don't bother arguing with these bafoons

the government had huge input and influence on how the public space was going to be developed and used theyshould help fund a portion of it.. not to mention its a public space on a lot being built by a private corporation.. you morons this space is going to generate millions in taxes as opposed to 800,000 dollars the surface lot was generating..
You're not entirely incorrect but the "public space" you mention is actually on private land. Nonetheless, it serves a civic/social purpose as well.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 6:12 PM
What could go wrong?

Same as always - bump to keep the updating photo on the current page...

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
you guys r bafoonssss 400 million dollar project and you guys complain that government needs to fund some of the landscaping and sky walk systems that are only going to better service you and other tax paying ppl
I'm building a 400 thousand dollar house. Where's my 20,000 dollars for landscaping and such? You can walk across the lawn any time you like as there will be a public path to the front door. Perhaps you are delivering mail or want to ask me if I believe in the Jets. Rest assured that at night I will tell you to get lost.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
I'm building a 400 thousand dollar house. Where's my 20,000 dollars for landscaping and such? You can walk across the lawn any time you like as there will be a public path to the front door. Perhaps you are delivering mail or want to ask me if I believe in the Jets. Rest assured that at night I will tell you to get lost.

horrible comparison horrible

ya let me go hangout in your backyard and use your pool to.. I cant go loiter around on your front lawn..

your property isn't a public meeting space.. come on man

get out of here you trolling buffoon.. and many businesses get tax credit or incentives from govt agencies for projects all over the city.. and guy you think ikea or the forks was built without tax money. get out of here you bafoon and the forks turned out to be one of the best public spaces and investments the city ever made

surface lots sitting empty creating no tax revenue to multimillion dollar projects contributing to cities overall perception and worth.. not to mention attracting more business and people and events to the city...

god I cant stand the fools that come on this site and spew ridiculous nonsensical bs especially when projects like these are a fucking blessing considering there has been almost no private money invested in the downtown area in so bloodsucking long

Last edited by lilwayne; Mar 15, 2017 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Quote:
horrible comparison horrible

ya let me go hangout in your backyard and use your pool to.. I cant go loiter around on your front lawn..

your property isn't a public meeting space.. come on man

get out of here you trolling buffoon.. and many businesses get tax credit or incentives from govt agencies for projects all over the city.. and guy you think ikea or the forks was built without tax money. get out of here you bafoon and the forks turned out to be one of the best public spaces and investments the city ever made
You guys are both right... but the city's grant of 3.2M is kinda huge.

That said, well, I don't care, lol.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
You guys are both right... but the city's grant of 3.2M is kinda huge.

That said, well, I don't care, lol.
I just want transparency on what is going to be included in this public space,, how the money is going to be used.. because from the reendering the space looks pretty plain

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 9:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hey guys chill out

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 9:46 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

and my two cents on this

true north has a long standing record of delivering on what they do and if u were government wouldn't u work with that and continue to foster a buisness relationship? the investment we have made at the provincial and civic lvls paid off long time ago for mts center only makes sens we have a public space lets have a say and chip in.

and yes we do need to focus on smaller projects more now but can we first get the stupid parking garage issue fixed in the east exchange city of winnipeg....

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Same as always - bump to keep the updating photo on the current page...

DEAR GOD! What have they done to that beautiful parking lot!!!???

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 1:45 AM
BANNED

Liquor store planned for True North Square is 'not a liquor store,' but a food hall

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/m...tore-1.4027039

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Liquor store planned for True North Square is 'not a liquor store,' but a food hall

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/m...tore-1.4027039
Imagine that. True North acutally has a plan and wasn't just going to have 5,000 bottles of Crown Royal and Smirnoff out on the shelves at once.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 4:41 AM

This really is a relief to hear. I mean, seriously, a liquor mart? Are you deliberately trying to ruin this project, or is it just that you have the foresight of a goldfish? One of the most important lessons learned from portage place was to never underestimate the power and effect of bums. A liquor mart would make the area a magnet for all sorts of shady business. It would quickly establish TNS as prime territory for alcohol-oriented panhandling, with all of the cash packed pedestrian shoppers occupying the area. You could create a larger net benefit for the city if you converted the square into a homeless shelter instead. I'm glad to see that TNSE at least appears to have the sufficient wisdom to realize these outcomes. But we'll know for sure if the do in a few years.

Apologies to any homeless people reading this if I might have offended you.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 4:44 AM

Was at Eataly (NYC Flatiron) two nights ago. Excellent concept - combo high end groceries with various restaurants and food counters. We had supper at the pasta and pizza area and my wife and son had dessert at the Nutella bar (I had dessert at the Birreria on the roof). The key to success is quality. Some of the pasta was the best ever, equal to or better than the best I have had in Italy.

A big question though - Eataly is totally focused on bringing the cuisine of Italy to North America. What, if anything, will the True North concept focus on or will it be a fusion thing?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 4:44 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres a liqure mart in city place.......

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 4:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolselyMan View Post
This really is a relief to hear. I mean, seriously, a liquor mart? Are you deliberately trying to ruin this project, or is it just that you have the foresight of a goldfish? One of the most important lessons learned from portage place was to never underestimate the power and effect of bums. A liquor mart would make the area a magnet for all sorts of shady business. It would quickly establish TNS as prime territory for alcohol-oriented panhandling, with all of the cash packed pedestrian shoppers occupying the area. You could create a larger net benefit for the city if you converted the square into a homeless shelter instead. I'm glad to see that TNSE at least appears to have the sufficient wisdom to realize these outcomes. But we'll know for sure if the do in a few years.

Apologies to any homeless people reading this if I might have offended you.
It's a good thing the previous govt. raised the minimum prices on cheap sherry to solve the homeless drinking problems downtown!

Seriously I can only imagine what that square will look like, something like the current Air Canada building homeless shelter park!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
theres a liqure mart in city place.......
Yes but how will you reopen cityplace to the street with a liquor store in the way?

--

I'm all for the money. It's going into public areas. It's an amenity for citizens. Would the development have happened without it? Probably - but we also probably wouldn't have gotten the plaza or skywalks, at least to the extent they're planned.

I was in Edmonton last night and stayed right by Rogers Place. Jaw-dropping arena aside, it is f*cking incredible what's going on around there right now. Amazing streetscaping, plazas, new developments.. it's bustling at that end of town. And they put a TON of public money, and I think it's all worth it.

If we're going by the logic we shouldn't invest in public amenities on private property - why should the city have built a bus loop at Polo Park? Only CF benefits from that. The Delta skywalk connection? Scrap it, useless. RRC Princess campus? Shoulda just torn the buildings down and built another building on Route 90.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
and my two cents on this

true north has a long standing record of delivering on what they do and if u were government wouldn't u work with that and continue to foster a buisness relationship? the investment we have made at the provincial and civic lvls paid off long time ago for mts center only makes sens we have a public space lets have a say and chip in.

and yes we do need to focus on smaller projects more now but can we first get the stupid parking garage issue fixed in the east exchange city of winnipeg....
I associate True North with Birchwood Auto and they have a habit of gouging the shit out of customers.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 2:09 PM

Quote:
It's a good thing the previous govt. raised the minimum prices on cheap sherry to solve the homeless drinking problems downtown!

Seriously I can only imagine what that square will look like, something like the current Air Canada building homeless shelter park!
Why? The MB Hydro plaza is right across the street and it's not anywhere near as bad as Air Canada. Same goes for the Japanese gardens 1 block to the south. That issue is mostly limited to Portage and TNS will have ground floor retail opening up to the space, and presumably security down there. It won't be similar at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan