HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Not sure what it's called, but the plaza on Commonwealth Avenue where Around the World and Dougie's used to be is undergoing an extensive retrofit and seems to be attracting new businesses.

Panago Pizza just put up their sign and looks to be opening soon. I also heard quite a while ago that Second Cup is opening there but have yet to see any other evidence of that. Our Pleasure looks light it might already be open there too (may have been there all along - not sure). Anyway, I think that's our first Panago in the province.
The section where Around the World used to be has been torn down in the past few days opening it up to the back parking lot.

Also, in this week's "The Pearl", it mentions approval to demolish the old garage at Irving and replace it with a "Drive Thru Coffee Establishment"

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 5:54 PM

I heard they had big plans for the Irving gas station on Commonwealth. Probably another Starbucks. Seems like they are popping up everywhere these days. I guess it's inevitable they should appear in Mt Pearl at some point. Figured they would have taken over the old Rogers Video by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tch1005 View Post
The section where Around the World used to be has been torn down in the past few days opening it up to the back parking lot.

Also, in this week's "The Pearl", it mentions approval to demolish the old garage at Irving and replace it with a "Drive Thru Coffee Establishment"

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 2:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I wouldn't necessarily think that. I think the people who are going to Starbucks and the people who are going to Coffee & Company are distinct different types. The way I see everything working out is Starbucks taking over uptown, but with the independent coffee shops still dominant downtown. The current Starbucks downtown location hasn't hurt other downtown business.
I agree the current location isn't a competitor, but I think there will be more down town that will semi directly compete with those shops.

It's not that they offer the same direct service.

It's their ability to offer similar services (wifi, room to sit etc) that will cause any fragile shops to be forced out.

It' won't wipe them all out immediately but it will gradually over time push out any fragile business in it's peripheral.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspinK View Post
The Smitty's in the Courtyard Marriott downtown has closed.

I've heard the people behind Yellowbelly have something to do with the new restaurant going into that location. I think it is opening soon (within two weeks).

Marriott site listing 'new restaurant coming soon.'
I walked by YellowBelly this morning and they have a sign up advertising the new restaurant for the Marriot. It is called The Fishbowl.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 10:35 AM

And I just discovered that Cora's has closed its Atlantic Place location. Surely it wasnt due to lack of business. It was always lined off out the door there.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 10:43 AM

Starbucks are now opened at their location on Torbay Rd and Hebron Way next door to Harveys.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
And I just discovered that Cora's has closed its Atlantic Place location. Surely it wasnt due to lack of business. It was always lined off out the door there.
That's weird??? Every time I've gone to Atlantic place it looked very busy. Hmm.... would it be that rent in AP was getting too expensive so they moved out?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 1:03 PM

^yeah, there has to be something more than meets the eye there. That Cora's was always packed. Too bad it's closed, I really wanted to go there during the summer, just so you can eat breakfast and stare out at the water. sighhhh

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 1:15 PM

Quote:
^yeah, there has to be something more than meets the eye there. That Cora's was always packed. Too bad it's closed, I really wanted to go there during the summer, just so you can eat breakfast and stare out at the water. sighhhh
I know they were packed on the weekends but were they as busy during the week?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 2:19 PM

Was chatting with some people who work at Atlantic Place and they said Cora's were indeed busy on weekends but nobody was going there during the week days. So I guess that's why they closed up shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I know they were packed on the weekends but were they as busy during the week?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 4:28 PM

I imagine it's hard to fill any restaurant at 10am on a weekday, got money to be makin'

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 1:22 PM

Milestones Job Fair

Saw this last night on the Milestones FB page. Opening must be really close.

Milestones in St. John's Newfoundland is having a job fair

WE ARE HIRING FOR ALL POSITIONS - FULL TIME AND PART TIME

Kitchen positions (with experience) up to $18 per hour

The job fair will take place at
The Hampton Inn & Suites,
411 Stavanger Drive, St. John's, NL, A1A 0A1
on the following dates:

Bring your resumes interviews will take place on the spot!

If you are not able to attend in person please send your resume to ron.burke@milestonesnl.com

Dates and times as follows:

October 17, 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
October 18, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
October 19, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

Location : Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton, 411 Stavanger Drive, St. John's, Newfoundland

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 2:42 PM

Especially in downtown St. John's.

Quote:
I imagine it's hard to fill any restaurant at 10am on a weekday, got money to be makin'

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't really think about that; it makes sense once you factor in that piece. However, I do know the location on Kenmount does well pretty much everyday of the week. Maybe they're looking to re-locate somewhere else in the city????

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 4:40 PM

Ever since it was built, Atlantic Place has been where food services go to die, even Tim Horton’s bailed from the food court that used to be there 20 years ago. So far Starbucks seems to be hanging in there but a few other spots have changed hands in the past few years.

I guess it is difficult to make a go of it based primarily on the employees in the building, many of whom I’m sure will “brown bag” it most of the time.

Cora’s is a nice location, with the view and the patio, hopefully someone can reinvent it and make a go of it. One thing that perhaps could be explored is direct access from the outside without having to go through the main building. I’m not sure what access to the building is like in the evenings and on weekends but for any good restaurant you have to have extended hours. It didn’t help Cora’s that they were a breakfast and lunch type of eatery with a limited menu.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspinK View Post
The Smitty's in the Courtyard Marriott downtown has closed.

I've heard the people behind Yellowbelly have something to do with the new restaurant going into that location. I think it is opening soon (within two weeks).

Marriott site listing 'new restaurant coming soon.'

Also the new restaurant opening up between Second Cup and Wink downtown on Water St has some of the people who use to work at Atlantica. Probably will be higher end dining.
I'm glad to hear this as Smitty's is a terrible chain in my opinion, bad food and service to boot

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
Ever since it was built, Atlantic Place has been where food services go to die, even Tim Horton’s bailed from the food court that used to be there 20 years ago. So far Starbucks seems to be hanging in there but a few other spots have changed hands in the past few years.

I guess it is difficult to make a go of it based primarily on the employees in the building, many of whom I’m sure will “brown bag” it most of the time.

Cora’s is a nice location, with the view and the patio, hopefully someone can reinvent it and make a go of it. One thing that perhaps could be explored is direct access from the outside without having to go through the main building. I’m not sure what access to the building is like in the evenings and on weekends but for any good restaurant you have to have extended hours. It didn’t help Cora’s that they were a breakfast and lunch type of eatery with a limited menu.
It seems like nothing can make it in Atlantic Place.. What is in there now? I know Booster Juice closed there too a while back which was surprising as their overhead must be low and I know when I worked downtown it seemed like a very busy place.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChills View Post
It seems like nothing can make it in Atlantic Place.. What is in there now? I know Booster Juice closed there too a while back which was surprising as their overhead must be low and I know when I worked downtown it seemed like a very busy place.
Fog City diner was there and also failed. It was replaced by a grease pit (Ellsworths) that sells wings, chips and the like.

Mr. Sub is still there and seems to be going strong. Kimchi & Sushi is there, which is really good, and another place (can't remember the name) that sells pizza and some chinese dishes I do believe.

Along with Booster Juice and Starbucks, that is all that is there now.

On a side note, there is another Wing'n It going down on Hebron Way. It will be in that ugly red, aluminum clad building.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 4:58 PM

Quote:
....On a side note, there is another Wing'n It going down on Hebron Way. It will be in that ugly red, aluminum clad building.
Suprised to see it in that building, I thought for sure it would be in the back half of the Starbucks building. I guess that wasn't big enough. The only thing missing in that area now to generate a bit of dining business is a Cineplex !

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Fog City diner was there and also failed. It was replaced by a grease pit (Ellsworths) that sells wings, chips and the like.

Mr. Sub is still there and seems to be going strong. Kimchi & Sushi is there, which is really good, and another place (can't remember the name) that sells pizza and some chinese dishes I do believe.

Along with Booster Juice and Starbucks, that is all that is there now.

On a side note, there is another Wing'n It going down on Hebron Way. It will be in that ugly red, aluminum clad building.
Yeah Booster Juice closed, and then re-opened. I've never, ever seen the pizza place open (though I know it must be open). Not sure how Ellsworth is going to fare; do office folk really want fast food wings for lunch?

Kimchi and Sushi is probably the best food going down there, I hope they're super busy during the week, because it's so good and affordable. I'd hate to see them shut down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's