HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 1:21 PM

^Yeah that could hit a snag. I imagine local residents will be protesting anything that would be proposed there if it involves parking. I don't blame them, either. While I think the cities downtown parking regulations are very, very dumb, things are a little different down in the village, especially considering how constricted everything is down there.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 3:31 PM

The new Milestones Grill and Bar is coming along good too. Windows, stonework, and building signage has been installed. This is the first Milestones east of Ontario I think. Surprised there isn't one in Halifax yet.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...f0dd3095a63520

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 1:55 PM

Subway @ Mun

Subway is opening at Mun.

http://imgur.com/3u0MXXn

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 6:04 PM

Oops, I should have mentioned that. I've known this for quite a while and it's never clicked to post it here. Finally, an alternative to dumb Mr. Sub

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 5:39 PM

What's the deal with the Georgestown Eatery? Was this controversial for some reason when city hall approved it?

I follow NL politics and often search '#NLPoli' on Twitter. The Eatery's account seems to be run by someone who thinks they're hilarious with an extremely odd sense of humor, and the posts often get tagged with #NLPoli for some reason. Anyway, it certainly makes the place stand out in my mind, so maybe it's effective marketing...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 5:42 PM

Noticed an application to establish a "Winging It" restaurant at 25 Hebron Way.

Also, drove by Ropewalk Lane today and the new KFC next to Tims's is progressing quickly with all of the main exterior walls constructed and in place.

The Boston Pizza on Water Street looks like it's gonna be a major Reno of the existing building. The building is currently stripped to the bare steel. You can even see all the interior stairwells with the exterior walls gone.

The new Starbucks is moving ahead too at the former KFC on Topsail Rd next to DQ.

Lots of food service work happening in town.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 5:01 PM

Here's a shot of the new Boston Pizza on Water Street, across the street from the convention centre expansion.
This building use to be the old Simpson Sears store for those of you old enough to remember. There's been various other businesses occupying the space over the years also. Nice to see it finally get renovated.

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...76&oe=54676F69

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 5:06 PM

Here's a shot of the new KFC on Ropewalk Lane. It's progressing very quickly, this is only a weeks worth of progress. I guess they are anxious to get KFC up and running again around St. John's and metro. We likes our greasy chicken.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...584ef99836a03e

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 5:08 PM

Speaking of KFC, this is the former KFC on Topsail Road next to DQ. It's gonna become a Starbucks soon. They are currently gutting the building and removing the centrepiece tower portion.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...3fc62d02ea32a7

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Speaking of KFC, this is the former KFC on Topsail Road next to DQ. It's gonna become a Starbucks soon. They are currently gutting the building and removing the centrepiece tower portion.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...3fc62d02ea32a7
Yup they've got a sign up now saying "Starbucks coming soon".

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 10:37 PM

Not sure what it's called, but the plaza on Commonwealth Avenue where Around the World and Dougie's used to be is undergoing an extensive retrofit and seems to be attracting new businesses.

Panago Pizza just put up their sign and looks to be opening soon. I also heard quite a while ago that Second Cup is opening there but have yet to see any other evidence of that. Our Pleasure looks light it might already be open there too (may have been there all along - not sure). Anyway, I think that's our first Panago in the province.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 11:03 PM

Checked out Panago's website. Quite a selection of pizzas on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Not sure what it's called, but the plaza on Commonwealth Avenue where Around the World and Dougie's used to be is undergoing an extensive retrofit and seems to be attracting new businesses.

Panago Pizza just put up their sign and looks to be opening soon. I also heard quite a while ago that Second Cup is opening there but have yet to see any other evidence of that. Our Pleasure looks light it might already be open there too (may have been there all along - not sure). Anyway, I think that's our first Panago in the province.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post

I think Panago was opened in the Village Mall for awhile, but closed.

It's a lot like Greco and Dominos.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 7:26 PM

There was a pizza place in the village food court recently but it wasn't called panago though. The name escapes me right now.

QUOTE=CaspinK;6715173]I think Panago was opened in the Village Mall for awhile, but closed.

It's a lot like Greco and Dominos.[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 7:33 PM

The Smitty's in the Courtyard Marriott downtown has closed.

I've heard the people behind Yellowbelly have something to do with the new restaurant going into that location. I think it is opening soon (within two weeks).

Marriott site listing 'new restaurant coming soon.'

Also the new restaurant opening up between Second Cup and Wink downtown on Water St has some of the people who use to work at Atlantica. Probably will be higher end dining.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:04 AM

That's too bad that smittys has closed. I liked that place. I wonder why it closed. Surely they had a prosperous business being inside a hotel. Or did the hotel want something different and didn't renew their lease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspinK View Post
The Smitty's in the Courtyard Marriott downtown has closed.

I've heard the people behind Yellowbelly have something to do with the new restaurant going into that location. I think it is opening soon (within two weeks).

Marriott site listing 'new restaurant coming soon.'

Also the new restaurant opening up between Second Cup and Wink downtown on Water St has some of the people who use to work at Atlantica. Probably will be higher end dining.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:18 PM

I went to that Smitty's a while ago and it was closed for renovations. They never mentioned it would be closed permanently.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 3:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Ahh ok. Yeah Ropewalk Lane is a pretty scuzzy area at the moment. It really needs to be fixed up. If only they would do something with that vacant and derelict old supermarket building and fix up the bowling alley. Its a bit of an eyesore for sure.
Meh I actually like that its got that old school stjohn's vibe.

It's the last remnants of the newfoundland sk**t.

the irony of the old historic downtown is that many of the people whos family have lived there for centuries have been pushed out.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 3:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I said it before. I heard that they had some aggressive expansion plans for the metro area. I'd say that this is just the beginning.
Starbucks runs under the premise of territorial dominance. All those cozy coffee shop down town are about to be wiped out.

Stjohn's is very unique for having so many semi independent downtown. Will be money it'll be closer to eaton square than anything in short amount of time.

Granted the old downtown was nothing stellar regardless.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Starbucks runs under the premise of territorial dominance. All those cozy coffee shop down town are about to be wiped out.
I wouldn't necessarily think that. I think the people who are going to Starbucks and the people who are going to Coffee & Company are distinct different types. The way I see everything working out is Starbucks taking over uptown, but with the independent coffee shops still dominant downtown. The current Starbucks downtown location hasn't hurt other downtown business.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's