HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 5:46 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

It does get below -40 here on occasion, if you lived here you'd know that bigmouth. I have not seen 50 but 45 several times

Aircraft and aeroengine performance is greatly affected by high temperatures to the point where it cannot take off with two people.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 6:10 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Our house value increased 86.5%. The average city wide increase was 78%.
CRAP.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 6:19 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
It does get below -40 here on occasion, if you lived here you'd know that bigmouth. I have not seen 50 but 45 several times
The highest temperature ever recorded at Winnipeg's airport is 40.6°C.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 7:46 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
CRAP.

check out this webpage.

You probably already know it exists, but if not it will have your current and previous assessments when you search your property.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

check out this webpage.

You probably already know it exists, but if not it will have your current and previous assessments when you search your property.
I know my assessment went up but what i am worrying about now is that letter that you got saying your taxes are going up! I haven't got one of those yet.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 9:25 PM
the first stamp is free

^ well now I am worried that I am the only person in Winnipeg whose taxes are going up...

I mean I guess that's good for everyone else, but if I'm getting screwed, I'm taking the rest of you down with me!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 11:58 PM

Could it have been humidex days? How many days at -40? Maybe quit picking fights and nit-picking...

My question still stands. How many days a year will the proposed police helicopter be grounded due to weather temperature extremes?

Let's not guess upon what aircraft the WPS will be acquiring. Let's get some facts and then maybe we'll know if the downtime will be any more significant than a few days per year.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 12:41 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

a friend of mine who owns a 1 story building on main st is seeing his tax's allmost double hes not happy

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 12:45 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

somewhere i have photos of it at 44c and -40c in my back window thermomiter...

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 3:50 AM
The Loyal Opposition

And doesn't it get colder the higher above ground you get?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 4:01 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
And doesn't it get colder the higher above ground you get?
Sometimes it gets warmer when there is a temperature inversion. I have seen a difference of 15C from the ground to 5000'.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 4:05 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
My question still stands. How many days a year will the proposed police helicopter be grounded due to weather temperature extremes?
No way to really know Grumpy. I think temperature isn't as much of an issue as visibility. We have good weather for flying on the prairies - more clear days than the rest of the country. Which is why the military does most of their flight training here.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 8:03 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
Let's not guess upon what aircraft the WPS will be acquiring.
It's not a guess. They pretty much out and out said on CJOB that it was their preferred candidate. It's probably 99.5% certain that it's a EC120B.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 4:22 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The 206 would be a better choice IMO, given that it is the most popular model around (lots of parts and maintenance knowledge) and is made in Canada. I can see the EC120 as a selection though given it is quieter and has a fenstron (sp?) tail rotor which is a lot safer.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 4:40 PM
the first stamp is free

My apologies for derailing this thread into a discussion about police helicopters...

but to add my 2 cents, do you guys really think this equipment is necessary for Winnipeg? I am not really sold on the idea personally. I would rather the millions of dollars this costs annually to be put into boots on the street, more community level police in trouble areas, etc.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 5:02 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I do. Foot chases and pursuits swallow up police resources at an alarming rate and an eye in the sky would be worth 50 boots on the ground.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 5:17 PM
BANNED

I'm not completely sold on the need for a police helicopter, although I have seen first hand it's benefits, while visiting a family member in Calgary a robbery occurred nearby, a police helicopter had the immediate area lit up within minutes and caught the perps immediately. Not saying this wouldn't have happened without a helicopter but the "shock and awe effect" was neat.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 5:21 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Should we start a new thread on this subject and get the mods to move the posts?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 11:46 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i am sold on the helicoper idea.... after spending the last 9 months listening to the online scanner the ampunt of times they have lost people is in the 100's least once a day if not more someone gets away with somthing cause the cops have to abort

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 10:52 PM
BANNED

An article for those in this forum who think paying more taxes is a good thing, probably the same one`s who have never payed property taxes!

Tax-bill jump riles homeowner
Payment to rise 31 per cent in new year

By: Carol Sanders

A family of five got a nasty shock from Winnipeg's city hall this festive season. Starting in the new year, their monthly Tax Installment Payment Plan (TIPP) bill is going up 31 per cent.

"They sent us a letter a week or so ago -- our TIPP went from $169 to $221," said Ken Thoroski, who lives in St. Vital.

"I thought there might be some kind of mistake."

The city says it's no mistake -- the increase is for their own good.

"Given the recent increase in assessed value for many homes in the city, the assessment and taxation department is anticipating an increase in taxes for some homeowners," a 311 operator told Thoroski in an email.

While any increase in property taxes won't be decided until spring when city council sets the municipal budget, the TIPP program isn't waiting.

"In order to diminish the impact of a possible tax increase, the department is estimating your possible 2010 taxes and setting your monthly TIPP payment accordingly" starting Jan. 1. Once the mill rate is set in the spring, the department will know exactly what Thoroski's taxes will be for 2010 and adjust his monthly TIPP up or down as necessary, the city said.

"It's wrong," Thoroski said. "They're hitting you as hard as they can up front."

The TIPP program allows property and business owners to make consecutive monthly payments for taxes rather than a single annual payment.

It starts on Jan. 1 of each year and payments are made on the first banking day of each month by automatic withdrawal from an account with chequing privileges at a financial institution.

Thoroski said upping his TIPP payment by so much before the new rate is set isn't much of a privilege.

"You're going to pay for 12 months and they hit you hard up front so they're way ahead and pay you back later," Thoroski said.

"It's putting more money in their coffers," continued the married father of three.

No one is forced to be on the TIPP program, which was designed to help people budget their property and school taxes, said the city's head of assessment and taxation.

"If they have a real concern with how they're being requested to make payments when taxes aren't due, then send us a letter asking us to remove them from TIPP," Nelson Karpa said. The city will then send the tax bill in the spring and the family can pay it at the end of June when the full amount is due, he said.

Still, the increase in property taxes riles Thoroski, who says the city won't address his complaints about the sidewalk flooding on his street and noisy, over-lit service stations near his home.

Karpa said an increase in property taxes follows the 2008 reassessment, in which the market value of some homes in Winnipeg increased by as much as 100 per cent from five years earlier.

"There was a pretty dramatic increase in the value of real estate," Karpa said. The average property value increased 67 per cent, he said.

"We simply report on what the market has done."

Homeowners whose assessment increase is above the city average will likely see their property taxes increase.

The market value of Thoroski's home increased 78 per cent from 2003 to 2008, according to the city's property assessment website.

If city council succeeds in freezing property taxes again, homeowners with assessment increases below 67 per cent could see their property taxes drop.

carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan