HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 3:43 AM

Just looking in from an outsider's perspective here and I have no inkling of either the incumbent mayor's political affiliation or performance.

Nevertheless, I was surprised that both Liberal Sen. Sharon Carstairs as well as former mayor Bill Norrie (an old PC'er) were attending the announcement of Judy Wasylycia-Leis in her mayoral bid. What's the reason behind that?

From my perspective, Wasylycia-Leis has always come across as too old, miserable, and too left-wing.

Come on Winnipegers you guys can do better than that to represent the face of Winnipeg to the world. Where is the youthful and dynamic candidate to represent the new, growing and dynamic Winnipeg?!

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 4:16 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Where is the youthful and dynamic candidate to represent the new, growing and dynamic Winnipeg?!
It moved to Toronto.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It moved to Toronto.
Haha, nice!

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Just looking in from an outsider's perspective here and I have no inkling of either the incumbent mayor's political affiliation or performance.

Nevertheless, I was surprised that both Liberal Sen. Sharon Carstairs as well as former mayor Bill Norrie (an old PC'er) were attending the announcement of Judy Wasylycia-Leis in her mayoral bid. What's the reason behind that?

From my perspective, Wasylycia-Leis has always come across as too old, miserable, and too left-wing.

Come on Winnipegers you guys can do better than that to represent the face of Winnipeg to the world. Where is the youthful and dynamic candidate to represent the new, growing and dynamic Winnipeg?!
The reason JWL has PCers, Libs and NDPers behind her is that Katz is Just That Bad. Watch for him to show up on Shindico's payroll in the future.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 12:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
The TIF is 3 months old. All the projects recently announced are 3-4 years in the making. The TIF has had no influence on these projects (with the exception of the Avenue Building).
The TIF is what made these projects finally proceed; even the developers say that...

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 1:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The reason JWL has PCers, Libs and NDPers behind her is that Katz is Just That Bad. Watch for him to show up on Shindico's payroll in the future.
I hate to sounds so negative, but I have to agree. Katz has been a horrible mayor. I had such high hopes for him in 2004.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 5:53 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
He's not great, or un-slimey, but seriously, you'd have to be a North End cat lady or a thuggish union boss to be remotely excited about Judy W-L right now. For level-headed citizens, this is going to be a decision between the lesser of two evils.

I have lived in Judy W-L's ward for five years; I know where my vote will go.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
I have lived in Judy W-L's ward for five years; I know where my vote will go.
Just curious, what has she done at the federal level that has negatively impacted your ward?

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Just curious, what has she done at the federal level that has negatively impacted your ward?
For balance...

Just curious, what has she done at the federal level that has negatively impacted your ward and what has she done at the federal level that has positively impacted your ward?

For simplicity...

Just curious, what has she done period at the federal level that has positively impacted your ward?

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 4:26 AM

Council sure will look different if Harry decides not to run, in addition to the death of Clement and O'Shaughnessy and Thomas not running.

From the WFP Online:

WINNIPEG — Longtime Mynarski Coun. Harry Lazarenko suffered an aneurysm late Monday afternoon, leaving him hospitalized.
Friends said Monday night that doctors at Health Sciences Centre are monitoring Lazarenko, who was in stable condition.
"Harry’s family requests privacy during this difficult time," a statement issued on behalf of his family said. "We are all praying for a speedy recovery and believe that Harry’s perseverance, passion, and strength will assist him in overcoming this challenge."
Lazarenko, who has been the North End councillor for more than 27 years, said recently he planned to run for re-election this fall, barring any health problems.
Council is still coping with the recent death of Charleswood Coun. Bill Clement, who died last week.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 6:56 AM

terrible and sad

but...

fresh blood in city hall. not the way i would have preferred the change, but fresh blood none the less. i'm looking forward to at least the next 5 years in winnipeg, tons of change going down.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 7:14 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

holy crap :o

so with whats his name who passed away harrys close death experiance and pactican talking about going after a federal seat? we could see 3 new faces garinteed?

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 9:26 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

New entry in mayoral race
By: Bartley Kives

14/05/2010 2:18 PM | Comments: 8
Print E–mail Share ThisReport Error WINNIPEG -- A 23-year-old appliance salesman is the second person to register for the 2010 mayoral race in Winnipeg.

Avery Petrowski, a resident of the inner-city neighbourhood of West Broadway, filed his registration papers on Monday.

He joins former NDP MP Judy Wasylycia-Leis as challengers against Mayor Sam Katz, who has yet to register his campaign.

"Like a lot of people in this city, I like to complain," said Petrowski, who has never run for office before. "It’s time to stop complaining and start doing something."

Mayoral candidates must register before they can raise or spend money on their campaigns.

The actual nominations for mayor do not take place until September.

The civic election is on Oct. 27.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 9:27 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

It's good to know he's taking it seriously, maybe he should have changed his facebook profile prior to filing his nomination papers.

Say hello to our next mayor..(I wish I was making this up)

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 10:30 PM
Starring as himself

Only time will tell if he can add to his core support among Winnipeg's Viking and biker communities.

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 5:37 AM
I am a typical

He'd probably be better at it than anyone else though. Life is funny like that.

Most under-30 mayors I can think of are crazy far-right religious nut jobs in the US Midwest.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 4:02 AM
surely you agree with me

^he's got my vote...the viking population has been underrepresented for some time now.

i cant believe that my choice is going to be between katz and JWL....katz is a buffoon who is in way over his head, but if that is my option?....that guy above is actually starting to look attractive.

i know its too much to ask to have someone good (dave angus, jim august, gail asper...dare i say it...glen murray)....but i would even vote for someone who is just normal.

i would have voted for wyatt or vandal even.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 4:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

whats wrong with judy? were at a forground of a very big political shift at city hall...

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 4:34 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
whats wrong with judy? were at a forground of a very big political shift at city hall...
History isn't on your side on this one 1ajs.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 5:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

katz is a corupt idiot this other goof is a hoser

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan