HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Palace of the Soviets in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Moscow Skyscraper Diagram

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 12:21 AM

Only soviets could invent some shit like that

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 10:28 AM

It looks reasonable but the statue, it is bearable by the dome???

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 1:34 AM
Charismatic Stallion

This would have been bad-ass no doubt, but Soviet build quality was absolutely terrible, so it would not surprise me if they build the first ten stories, with some accidentally having 6 foot floors, and other with 20 feet, and upon realizing that the foundation they built was no where near strong enough or deep enough, they would have to top out there.

I'm sure Stalin considered how crap everything the Soviets made was before committing to this which led to its death.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
This would have been bad-ass no doubt, but Soviet build quality was absolutely terrible, so it would not surprise me if they build the first ten stories, with some accidentally having 6 foot floors, and other with 20 feet, and upon realizing that the foundation they built was no where near strong enough or deep enough, they would have to top out there.

I'm sure Stalin considered how crap everything the Soviets made was before committing to this which led to its death.

Poor brainwashed american.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 2:55 AM
Dryer lint inspector

how would have this been structurally feasible? there would be virtually nothing supporting the structure above the dome. if it were built, would have lenin's statute have remained in present day/ post communist russia or would it have been replaced by a shirtless putin on a horse?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
This is the epitome of Stalinist architecture. And yes, it's a mix of Neo-Classicism and Art Deco.
It would be a fantastic historic monument that would be timeless had it ever been built. Too bad it wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
how would have this been structurally feasible? there would be virtually nothing supporting the structure above the dome. if it were built, would have lenin's statute have remained in present day/ post communist russia or would it have been replaced by a shirtless putin on a horse?

Considering how many buildings still have the communist sickle and hammer logo I think it would still be Lenin on top, but that would be the fun history part. Seeing Lenin's statue as something he wouldn't of approved of is the fun part.

The Soviets actually built a lot of magnificent structures and industrialized Russia quite quickly, so I'm sure the building would have been architecturally sound for centuries to come.

Kind of like the anti-North Korea of communist quality.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 9:08 PM

I could imagine this being built in n. korea!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 4:07 PM

Quote:
They did cart away many of the smaller Soviet monuments; however, the significant ones are actually getting restored to their former glory, such as the famous Worker/Peasant statue:

http://www.cla.purdue.edu/fll/russia...ant_statue.jpg

As a rule, the Russians have enough common sense to get rid of the reduntant idol worship cult/placing the same statue on every public square of every city, but they also have enough common sense to not erase the obvious markers of history that made up almost all of the country's 20th century existence.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 4:13 AM
them bones

Anybody really interested in the buildings of this era should check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Architecture-S.../dp/0847814734

Exceptional sketches and photos in the book.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 4:38 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
They did cart away many of the smaller Soviet monuments; however, the significant ones are actually getting restored to their former glory, such as the famous Worker/Peasant statue:

http://www.cla.purdue.edu/fll/russia...ant_statue.jpg

As a rule, the Russians have enough common sense to get rid of the reduntant idol worship cult/placing the same statue on every public square of every city, but they also have enough common sense to not erase the obvious markers of history that made up almost all of the country's 20th century existence.
i've noticed that about russia; they've embraced the post soviet way of doing things but they held on to their history as well. i don't think the soviet era was entirely bad as they managed to go from a subsistence agriculture based economy to putting a man in space in a span of 50 years.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 11:29 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
managed to go from a subsistence agriculture based economy to putting a man in space in a span of 50 years.
At the cost of millions of lives and the terrorizing of every citizen in the country. But their history is pretty cool to study at least.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 7:40 AM

I still hope this gets built.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 11:03 PM
ZA WARUDO

No way it would now,Any communist related structures in Russia seems to be a no-no now.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 9:29 AM
Registirred User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
I still hope this gets built.
lol

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 9:07 PM

I've always favored Le Corbusier's neo-modernist design for the Palace of the Soviets. The interior was extremely modernist, and looked like something out of THX-1138. Le Corbusier argued that the modernist sentiments of the Soviet revolution were being betrayed by the classicist designs that were approved by Stalin; instead, he interpreted the revolutionary intent in neo-modernist architectural terms, rather than resolving to eclectism/neo-classical designs for the Soviet's "building of buildings".

Many thanks to those who offered up such great images and imaginings on this project.

I'm surprised that neither of the Kims from NK engaged in a 'hubris' project like this, although the supertall hotel in Pyongyang could be considered in a similar light to the proposed Palace of the Soviets.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 10:00 AM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects