HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Crown Las Vegas in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Las Vegas Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 5:12 AM

To be honest, I actually hope this doesn't get built, I reckon it will totally fuck up Vegas's skyline.

Built: 104 | Construction: 28 | Destroyed: 11 | Proposed: 20 | Renovation: 2

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 5:20 AM

Is it really going to be that fat?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
To be honest, I actually hope this doesn't get built, I reckon it will totally fuck up Vegas's skyline.
Dude, are you serious. you obviously dont live in Vegas. if you did, you would want this built even if it was in your back yard. This building is going to be phenominal. Lets hope Milam can get it done. true, it will be much taller than anything else around it but if this does get built, it will open the doors to other tall projects. Eventually there will be other buildings to complement it in the skyline. There are few cities in the world right now with a boom like Vegas.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 6:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post

John, I hate to break this to you but Las Vegas has long since been F***ed up. Half the skyline looks like a mess including the Stratosphere. Instead of putting the Stratosphere in a nice location, they put it up in the forsaken corner and just left it there.

If they build this monster, then the more things change the more they stay the same in that city. Can you possibly make Las Vegas anymore of a circus than it is? Yes but it will take more than this building to do it.

Vegas is designed to take your money not to look pretty. I say let them build it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 12:15 PM
Not far from Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond 1000 View Post
Vegas is designed to take your money not to look pretty.

Bravo.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 3:31 PM
Puyo!

What will the LVT look like during the night time? I am more likely mentioned to the Las Vegas's "traditional" lights. Will there be any on the LVT?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 4:48 PM

It will go in this cluster of buildings in the skyline. An almost 800 foot tall hotel just started construction next door. The 900 foot Ivana was proposed just a couple buildings to the left and they just got a 2 year extension to try and resurrect that project. Plus, the Allure (the one with the crane next to Stratosphere) has said that their second tower will be "substantially" taller. And of course, the Stratosphere has already had two proposals to extend its height to over 1,800 feet, but Carl Ichan has just recently said it is up for sale now.

Last edited by mdiederi; Mar 19, 2007 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
It will go in this cluster of buildings in the skyline. An almost 800 foot tall hotel just started construction next door. The 900 foot Ivana was proposed just a couple buildings to the left and they just got a 2 year extension to try and resurrect that project. Plus, the Allure (the one with the crane next to Stratosphere) has said that their second tower will be "substantially" taller. And of course, the Stratosphere has already had two proposals to extend its height to over 1,800 feet, but Carl Ichan has just recently said it is up for sale now.

does that mean the sumit is still alive.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew11 View Post
does that mean the sumit is still alive.
Only if they can find somebody with enough money, all the permits were recently extended for two more years, but the original developers bailed.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 8:44 PM

how high do you think the 2nd alure tower will be.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 9:21 PM

I love this building, it looks like it comes directly from the Coruscant/Star Wars cityscape. However, it would drastically be a sad, sad reflection of our culture if Las Vegas ended up with the tallest building in the country...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 10:57 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Why? It's a city that has always dreamed bigger than what it was, and I can think of no other city where a design like this would be appropriate. Las Vegas is not run by conventional thinking, which is why this unconventional design and height are so incredibly appropriate. While a more established city would be driven by simple and conventional supply and demand, projects are made to work in Vegas, regardless, which is why I say that if this couldn't be done anywhere else in the country, Vegas could do it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 11:27 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I see little reason for it to be "sad" if it ends up as the U.S. tallest. The days are now here that we are in a high targeted leisure and entertainment is growing to equal importance and attention as conventional buisness. Las Vegas has never made any pretenses about being a convetional city. This tower by design would look pretencious and out of place in many a conventional city but it fits the boosterism and loudness of Vegas well. Toursist and destination cities are playground that can afford can get away with more ostentacious projects without being seen as trampling on the dignity of the city. What would look ridiculous in another city can look part in Vegas or Dubai with the one differance is Las Vegas builds with a semblance of labor ethics.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 8:39 PM
deadliner

Word on the street is that the LVT proposal is up for review today 3/21 at 1 pm pacific time - anyone hear any news?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 9:01 PM

They requested it moved to May 2nd. Still waiting for a decision from the FAA.

Last edited by mdiederi; Mar 21, 2007 at 9:19 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown View Post
A billion dollars buys some worth-seeing shit.
Now days the average price to build a resort on the Strip is $2 to $8 BILLION. Estimated cost for LVT is $4.8 billion.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Now days the average price to build a resort on the Strip is $2 to $8 BILLION. Estimated cost for LVT is $4.8 billion.
Looking at projects elsewhere in the country, that really puts things in perspective. I'd bet the land rents are phenomenal, though.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 8:44 PM

If its that expensive to build in vegas, then its only a matter of time before a real supertall is built there. But this is kinda ugly. Still, its very futuristic, so i guess somewhere like vegas would be a good place to try out a building like this. But I wouldn't want it where I live.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 8:53 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown View Post
Looking at projects elsewhere in the country, that really puts things in perspective. I'd bet the land rents are phenomenal, though.
With the *maybe* Frontier deal, we are talking in the ballpark of $1000 per square foot. 40,000,000 an acre. That is up there with HK or Tokyo.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 1:48 AM

Quote:
They requested it moved to May 2nd. Still waiting for a decision from the FAA.
Just found out that according to Tabitha Keetch, LVT's legal rep for zoning and permitting, that it can normally take 120 days to get a decision on something of this magnitude from the FAA, so it was expected to be delayed another month.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive