HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 2:13 PM
James

I just hope they add a little something on the top. The design is growing on my but I can totally see just a simple crown up top.

Like this, something as simple as the building on the left.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 10:44 PM

More info

Everyone here is another article about this project including some future development!

https://www.expressnews.com/real-est...photo-15256297

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post
Everyone here is another article about this project including some future development!

https://www.expressnews.com/real-est...photo-15256297
Thanks. Very interesting.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
This project is no where near the River, so I am not understanding why they are making comments about the height at all. And the 120 foot restriction on buildings is ridiculous. Is the hotel Emma taller? Anyway, I feel a restriction should be used on projects on the River, only nothing less than 300 ft.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Um, what does it says that’s interesting? It’s behind a paywall.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
This project is no where near the River, so I am not understanding why they are making comments about the height at all. And the 120 foot restriction on buildings is ridiculous. Is the hotel Emma taller? Anyway, I feel a restriction should be used on projects on the River, only nothing less than 300 ft.
Seems Chicago is the closest example I can come up with offhand. Lots of tall buildings along their river, (yes, I know, not the same setup as our Riverwalk), and it is at once beautiful and cavernous.

I can see some height restrictions on the original three mile section of the Riverwalk, but not the areas just North and South of that original stretch.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
Um, what does it says that’s interesting? It’s behind a paywall.
"Developers have approached the Government Hill Alliance Neighborhood Association about building three other major construction projects on lower Broadway apart from GrayStreet’s tower and the Credit Human headquarters, Hill said. An office tower is in the works at Broadway and Grayson Street, and a condo tower is planned across the street from the ButterKrust Bakery building, she said.

GrayStreet is also planning a condo building on Broadway, she said. The company, which is working on numerous projects in the urban core, plans to build a massive mixed-use development on 23 acres it owns just east of Broadway in Government Hill. The development could include about 100,000 square feet of retail and up to 300,000 square feet of office space."

The part I found interesting, anyway.

This article was apparently my last free one, so in future, I'll be no help on quotes from The Express News.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 12:36 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
"Developers have approached the Government Hill Alliance Neighborhood Association about building three other major construction projects on lower Broadway apart from GrayStreet’s tower and the Credit Human headquarters, Hill said. An office tower is in the works at Broadway and Grayson Street, and a condo tower is planned across the street from the ButterKrust Bakery building, she said.

GrayStreet is also planning a condo building on Broadway, she said. The company, which is working on numerous projects in the urban core, plans to build a massive mixed-use development on 23 acres it owns just east of Broadway in Government Hill. The development could include about 100,000 square feet of retail and up to 300,000 square feet of office space."

The part I found interesting, anyway.

This article was apparently my last free one, so in future, I'll be no help on quotes from The Express News.
Dang, Broadway is exploding. In the future I can see it kind of being like Wilshire in Los Angeles (subway and all!). That's my fever dream, anyway. Things being the way they are, though, we'll probably just end up with a more trendy version of Central Ave in Phoenix. Still, both of those would be drastic improvements. Can't wait to hear more about these mysterious rumored developments.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 12:46 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

The "condo tower" site is almost certainly the block between Alling and Appler, which has been mostly demoed/cleared over the past few years. The majority of the block is owned by "NORTH ALAMO PROPERTIES LLC". Quick googling reveals that they purchased the alley on that block from the City recently:

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...921&FullText=1

They also applied for rezoning a couple of years ago:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xFqSptotuXN5GX

For up to 175 units an acre. Assuming they're eventually able to buy up the holdouts and get the whole block, they could be able to build up to about 300 units. Not bad.

The "office building" is even more mysterious. The only undeveloped corner of Broadway and Grayson is where Still Golden just opened, but I feel like a building that's about to be demoed wouldn't be getting a new tenant. Maybe it's the buildings next to it? Or the houses behind it? Or they got it mixed up with the Josephine St corner?

Edit: Further googling has revealed the North Alamo Properties LLC is associated with Victor Andonie, who is President of this company: http://www.msgmanagement.com/about/ Seems like they own and operate some medium sized office buildings around town. He also appears to have developed the Museum Townhomes across from the Witte and a small subdivision in Alamo Heights. Not sure what all this means, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Last edited by Keep-SA-Lame; Mar 21, 2018 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:39 AM

I took another look at the PDF they submitted to the HDRC. At the end of it they just tossed in some random photos of the Reynaldo Diaz building. Does anyone know why?

I read through it but can't figure out why they put those in. Presumably it's going to be taken down. Why include the pics?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:22 PM
JACKinBeantown

I think "changing the proposed building cap to feature a more distinctive design" means allowing the design they've submitted... the glass box. It looks like a finished render to me, and it is clearly the taller addition to the earlier rendering. I don't know that it qualifies as "distinctive" but maybe somebody else thinks it does. Subjective opinion.

If anyone is familiar with the history of renderings submitted for Central Park Tower in New York, many people thought the render submitted was just a massing model. It wasn't... it was pretty much what is now being built.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:11 PM
Paradise

Well I cannot wait to see what graystreet has in store.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
There are a lot of wacky comments with this article. The most interesting is this:

Quote:
The section of 281 pictured is scheduled to be buried similar to the Big Dig project in Boston. The final engineering and environmental approvals were obtained earlier this year. Construction will begin after Fiesta and last an estimated 3 to 4 years.
Can't be true.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:55 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
There are a lot of wacky comments with this article. The most interesting is this:

Can't be true.
Yeah someone called them out. Like you're going to claim that and not give a source? okay...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Yeah someone called them out. Like you're going to claim that and not give a source? okay...
I don’t even see what the point would be in such a project.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post

Can't be true.
Texas Highway Man is a good resource on San Antonio freeway work. Right now there isn't anything remotely on the radar for this. All the news would be talking about this if it was getting ready to start. Given the location, this would be a huge (and fantastic) project that would cost multiple hundreds of millions of dollars. I call this "fake news".

http://www.texashighwayman.com/const.shtml

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:04 AM

Guess we went backwards on this one
https://therivardreport.com/graystre...tower-for-now/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:08 AM

They have to come back with renderings and a filing with floor counts that match. That shouldn't be too big of a hurdle.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS4 View Post

Out of this a spectacular Phoenix shall arise!!!!
Don't worry.....

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:26 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS4 View Post
I’m not at all sure what you mean by this. Nothing went backwards. GrayStreet just needs to resubmit the design to match the proposed height and they’ll probably redesign the top and add a cool and distinctive feature to the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio