HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
No...the developers knew about the sculpture and were willing to take on the challenge of working around it. The City has imposed something involving it that has made the development difficult to move forward with.
That’s tough. Perhaps with the mayoral change and the housing prioritization mandate that will change for the better.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 5:35 PM

Quote:
No...the developers knew about the sculpture and were willing to take on the challenge of working around it. The City has imposed something involving it that has made the development difficult to move forward with.
Okay I'm glad it wasn't some kind of developer bait-and-switch. Still, it's frustrating to see nothing happen with the Pantages for so many years. I still hope it's not part of some plan to destroy it through neglect, like we've seen with other heritage buildings.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Okay I'm glad it wasn't some kind of developer bait-and-switch. Still, it's frustrating to see nothing happen with the Pantages for so many years. I still hope it's not part of some plan to destroy it through neglect, like we've seen with other heritage buildings.
Last thing I found from 2020 is a CBC report that said two of major people behind the Performing Arts Coalition are Ross McGowan, the former president of CentreVenture, and Curt Vossen, who is president and CEO of Richardson International Ltd.

From the report "McGowan and Vossen have pledged PAC will raise between $10 million and $15 million to restore the historic venue and install a management team to operate it.

"We are committed, in writing, to restoring and redeveloping the theatre for the home of the Winnipeg Symphony and others that are interested as well," McGowan told reporters."

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 8:32 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
The group that bought the Pantages is/was looking to build a multi-family building attached to the theatre on the plaza fronting Main St (10ish storeys if I remember).

The plan is/was to demolish the existing newer addition entrance and lobby to Pantages and incorporate it into the main floor of the new building.

The sticking point is the street car art feature. That is to remain in its place. I believe the owners knew of this but there is a fight between the city and them over something regarding that sculpture...I am not sure if there is a cantilever involved or air rights? (Is that just in New York?)

I do not know what the status is now. Info that I have heard though, the city is making it very hard for them to develop the site, so there is a stand still.
I wonder how the theatre will function without the addition that has the elevator, washrooms, offices, and all the prefunction space in it.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 1:28 PM
What could go wrong?

My understanding is that all of that space would be somehow included in the main floor of the new residential building. Maybe they were only talking about demolishing that copper, squiggly shaped one storey addition. All I know is there would be some of the Theatre services in the main floor of the residential building. I really an not sure where all of this at right now. The last time I spoke to anyone involved was over a year ago.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 5:04 PM
surely you agree with me

Would the condo developer own the theatre? Seems weird this group would spend millions to renovate a theatre but not own it or the spaces required to operate it.

If the condo developer doesn’t own it, who would be paying to build and operate the theatre spaces in the new condo.

Seems convoluted.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 5:46 PM

Pantages Theatre

This article was published on Aug. 11, 2023

Quote:

Pantages development in limbo, but new owner says he’s committed to amorphous project

Although the sale of the Pantages Playhouse Theatre began in 2019, Winnipeggers will need to wait to find out what a new development of the site will bring.

The historic theatre on Market Avenue at Main Street hosted its last performance in December 2018. A new development is on the way, with a related plan to preserve the performance space, but construction has yet to begin.

In 2019, city council approved a plan to sell the property for $530,000 to Alex Boersma and Lars Nicholson, who planned to create a mixed-use property with some housing that left the theatre space intact.

However, the sale took years to complete, including an extensive subdivision process that allows the city to own and maintain a streetcar sculpture at the site that commemorates the General Strike of 1919.

The complexity of that deal played a key role in preventing the new owners from taking possession of the property until 2022, Boersma told the Free Press this week.

“It just took quite a bit longer to do that process than we anticipated,” he said.

Boersma said it’s not clear when a design for the new mixed-use development could be completed or exactly what it will include. He said he remains committed to the project but is open to creative ideas on what type of construction is best suited to the location.

“It’s a really important intersection and (a) sort of gateway (to) downtown… so to me, it’s important that we do something that will stand the test of time and add to the fabric of the neighbourhood.”

The theatre, constructed in 1913-14, is protected against demolition through a national heritage designation.

Economic conditions have changed since the initial purchase plan was approved by the city, which is also affecting the timing of construction, said Boersma.

“It’s basically an economic decision at this point. Since COVID, the downtown-Exchange area has changed quite a bit and there’s also a lot of other really nice developments that are… about to be completed. So, it just didn’t seem to be a prudent thing to add another one to the area right now,” he said.

In an email, city spokesman Kalen Qually said conditions of the sale do not require construction to begin by any particular date.

In 2020, the owners reached an agreement to sell the theatre space at the property for $1 to the Performing Arts Consortium of Winnipeg, which planned to operate the theatre and raise $10 million to $15 million to restore it.

During a July 13, 2020 property and development committee meeting at city hall, a member of the consortium described the plan as a great way to preserve and utilize the building.

“We have an excellent agreement… that preserves and protects the theatre in its entirety…. We commit to the restoration and management of the theatre. We will take ownership of it and we will restore it and we will put the proper management in place to manage it as a community-based theatre and home of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra,” Ross McGowan told the committee.

Members of the consortium could not be reached for comment Friday.

Boersma said the $1 theatre sale to the consortium is now complete and he believes the group remains “extremely committed” to carrying out its plan.

Coun. Sherri Rollins said changing building conditions are affecting numerous projects downtown.

“(With) the economic downtown, the supply-chain issues, the complexities for construction have been multiple,” said Rollins, council’s property and development chairwoman.

Greg Agnew, president of Heritage Winnipeg, said the building in the heart of the Exchange District has significant historic value.

“It was one of the first theatres to actually get out from (a previous) dark, dingy box (style) and getting into the theatres that were opulent,” said Agnew.

The 109-year-old theatre opened in February 1914. The city acquired it through a tax sale in 1944.
Winnipeg Free Press

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 8:06 PM

Amorphous
adjective
without a clearly defined shape or form.
"an amorphous, characterless conurbation"
Amorphous
having no definite form : shapeless. an amorphous cloud mass. b. : being without definite character or nature : unclassifiable.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 8:41 PM
surely you agree with me

Half million bucks for a big Main Street frontage. Good deal for him. Dirt cheap because it came with the liability of an old theatre I suspect. Thank goodness that group of public stewards stepped forward to try and save the theatre. Hopefully it’s a nice building and the theatre isn’t compromised. It’s too precious to lose.

Last edited by trueviking; Mar 13, 2024 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 11:23 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

why did the city sell it in the first place

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
why did the city sell it in the first place
From what I remember the city administration turned down the MSO's offer to buy the building at the price they were offering, as the city wanted to put it on the open market to see if they could get more. Which apparently the city did.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 3:24 PM

After a slew of reports, rumours and Freep articles, it really does seem the spring season will be a busy one for Winnipeg construction. Love to see it! Build build build!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 1:37 AM

From yesterday at 380 Young St:

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 3:51 AM

Was wandering the West End and stopped to admire the work that was done on 590 Victor, a UWCRC project with the West Central Women's Centre to create transitional housing: https://uwcrc.ca/uwcrc2-0-project-590-victor

Last edited by pegster; Mar 17, 2024 at 3:54 AM. Reason: smaller image links

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegster View Post
Was wandering the West End and stopped to admire the work that was done on 590 Victor, a UWCRC project with the West Central Women's Centre to create transitional housing: https://uwcrc.ca/uwcrc2-0-project-590-victor

What a beautiful building.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 5:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

and next to a beutiful pipe organ as well

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 2:40 PM

Yeah sorry but not a fan of that renovation at all. The unbalanced entrance addition fucks up the symmetry that made the original structure beautiful and reduces the welcoming inviting hug the building gave with the original entrance’s setback. The cornice looks foolish too, with one half the building missing its detailing. The sign up there looks dumb, an unimaginative font in an uninspiring colour featuring an acronym that means what? Then there’s the whole wooden prisons on top. Id want to see the view. But yeah that entrance for me. Brutal. Just brutal.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Yeah sorry but not a fan of that renovation at all. The unbalanced entrance addition fucks up the symmetry that made the original structure beautiful and reduces the welcoming inviting hug the building gave with the original entrance’s setback. The cornice looks foolish too, with one half the building missing its detailing. The sign up there looks dumb, an unimaginative font in an uninspiring colour featuring an acronym that means what? Then there’s the whole wooden prisons on top. Id want to see the view. But yeah that entrance for me. Brutal. Just brutal.
I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect the reason for the entrance is that they had to retrofit the building to install an elevator (I think that's what that brownish column is). The acronym is for West Central Women's Resource Centre. I agree that the original building was more beautiful, but given how many of these sorts of blocks seem to be lost to disrepair or fire in the neighbourhood, I'm glad to see an adaptive re-use.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Yeah it drives me crazy too. The Boyd Building on Portage Ave downtown is another example. Also, the Courtyard building at River & Osborne is really underutilized and run-down but at least it has a few tenants in it.
I would like to add the old Peck bldg at Princess and Norte Dame to the list.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
I would like to add the old Peck bldg at Princess and Norte Dame to the list.
With all those nice windows I wonder rif it would be well suited for residential conversion?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan