HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I have no way of knowing, but an average of 70% European seems very high for Brazil. Brazil seems to have the highest percentage of visibly African people in South America... and probably even larger than the U.S.'s visibly African population, since less than half of that country identifies as only European.
See here.

One thing to keep in mind is some studies have found that even the average Afro-Brazilian has more European than African ancestry. So the overall national average of African DNA is relatively low, even if 7.6% of the population self-identifies as black, and another 43.1% as mixed.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 12:09 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
there's no such thing as any biological races.

they're all just social constructs.

hence why discussions like these can go in endless circles.

language, culture, skin color (and other physical attributes), genetics, and other sociological attributes get thrown in the blender to determine "race", and the results are light years away from having hard edges between them.
This.

Except for the Kardashians. They are not human or even of this planet.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:17 AM

From the 2016 Canadian census for Middle Eastern and North African groups:

White identification

Israeli 93%
Armenian 88%
Turk 71%
Lebanese 48%
Algerian 41%
Syrian 38%
Moroccan 37%
Egyptian 32%
Palestinian 20%
Iraqi 18%
Iranian 17%
Arab 17%
Afghan 4%

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:50 AM

And here's Latin American groups:

White identification

Brazilian 59%
Mexican 49%
Chilean 40%
Cuban 36%
Peruvian 26%
Colombian 19%
Salvadorean 15%

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
See here.

One thing to keep in mind is some studies have found that even the average Afro-Brazilian has more European than African ancestry. So the overall national average of African DNA is relatively low, even if 7.6% of the population self-identifies as black, and another 43.1% as mixed.
That's interesting. There are far more people in Brazil with African ancestry than in the U.S., even if most of them have a minority of African ancestry. But there are also a lot of people in Brazil that appear to be majority African ancestry, similar to most black Americans. That's why I think 70% is a little high, but the study says what it says.

What's also interesting is, despite how it's allocated, Brazil's overall ancestry mixture is probably very similar to that of the United States.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:33 PM

I think it is interesting how people have changed in claiming a race. I saw this quite often while in highschool, a kid had a black dad and white mom and almost always identified as black(even if they were being raised by just their white mom(Obama comes to mind)). I don't know if this is because their "blackness" is obvious, so they will be counted as black no matter what, so might as well claim it? Or if it was different back a few decades?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I think it is interesting how people have changed in claiming a race. I saw this quite often while in highschool, a kid had a black dad and white mom and almost always identified as black(even if they were being raised by just their white mom(Obama comes to mind)). I don't know if this is because their "blackness" is obvious, so they will be counted as black no matter what, so might as well claim it? Or if it was different back a few decades?
The one drop rule

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
What has changed? Hasn't it always been like this?

It shouldn't be hard to see why mixed kids would identify more with their black side. The majority of the public will automatically assign them as black anyway, so it's easier to just go with that label and accept and embrace it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 6:04 PM

Yes, the "one drop rule" has a residual impact. The offspring of Black-White unions are generally viewed as Black by wider society, while Hispanic-white and Asian-white offspring are integrated into the white mainstream.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 9:01 AM
if I sang out of tune

Oh Keanu. I kinda LOL when they portray both his parents as White in films.

Apparently his career tanked in 1993 when he played Little Buddha and everyone realised he was half Asian.

Likewise one drop rule: Mariah Carey was all marketed as America's sweetheart in the 90s (despite her tendency to hang out with Boyz n the hood), till they found out she was Blatina and she went totally RnB booby dancing girl from then on

Last edited by muppet; Jan 31, 2020 at 9:12 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Likewise one drop rule: Mariah Carey was all marketed as America's sweetheart in the 90s (despite her tendency to hang out with Boyz n the hood), till they found out she was Blatina and she went totally RnB booby dancing girl from then on
Hasn't Mariah Carey always identified as African American? It seems like that was always well-known in the U.S. I don't think she identifies strongly as Latina, even though her father was Afro-Latino.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 4:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Hasn't Mariah Carey always identified as African American? It seems like that was always well-known in the U.S. I don't think she identifies strongly as Latina, even though her father was Afro-Latino.
I am admittedly a few steps removed from U.S. racial politics and considerations, but I always thought Mariah Carey was white. (Simply based on what she looks like.)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 4:24 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Oh Keanu. I kinda LOL when they portray both his parents as White in films.

Apparently his career tanked in 1993 when he played Little Buddha and everyone realised he was half Asian.

Actually, Keanu's father was Native Hawaiian, Portuguese (Madeiran), English, Scottish, at least 1/16th Chinese, remote Dutch
and mother – English so not exactly half-Asian.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 4:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanguy View Post
Actually, Keanu's father was Native Hawaiian, Portuguese (Madeiran), English, Scottish, at least 1/16th Chinese, remote Dutch
and mother – English so not exactly half-Asian.
I always thought his "other half" origin was Lebanese. Probably erroneously based on my having heard at one point that he was born in Beirut - though neither of his parents was Lebanese.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 6:05 PM
if I sang out of tune

yep his mum's English and dad is native Hawaiian/Chinese. Rather than 'Asian' I shoulda said half Mongoloid (as in Polynesian)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am admittedly a few steps removed from U.S. racial politics and considerations, but I always thought Mariah Carey was white. (Simply based on what she looks like.)
Her much older first husband was her producer and also white. It was his marketing of her and in the beginning she never really would give a direct answer to what her racial makeup is. Although black folks know their own and wasn’t fooled by the avoidance to say she was black. Once she divorced her first husband, she basically started claiming her blackness.

I’m bi-racial, mother is black, and father is Mexican-American. I don’t look black at all, but I identify as black and that’s how I see myself. The weird thing is I forgot sometimes how I look to others because of how I feel inside. Many times people see my wife and I together and think we are a interracial couple.

People see me and mistake me for Mexican, White American, Armenian, Greek, in New York they tell me I look Puerto Rican, or Italian. Usually the only people who get it right is Black folks. As I said before, we generally pick up on it right away. Sometimes it can be something very subtle as the way we carry ourselves, but other things I can’t explain. Example I had a black lady come up to me in a train station in Fresno CA, and asked me if she could ask a personal question, and wanted to know if I was Black. I was sitting down by myself quietly and I guess she picked up some sort of vibe.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 8:24 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I remember when Mariah Carey and Keanu Reeves first became popular, I don't recall them being passed off as white. Some might have assigned them a race like they try to do with Tiger Woods but that's due to some feeling like they have to categorize everyone into neat groups.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Her much older first husband was her producer and also white. It was his marketing of her and in the beginning she never really would give a direct answer to what her racial makeup is. Although black folks know their own and wasn’t fooled by the avoidance to say she was black. Once she divorced her first husband, she basically started claiming her blackness.

I’m bi-racial, mother is black, and father is Mexican-American. I don’t look black at all, but I identify as black and that’s how I see myself. The weird thing is I forgot sometimes how I look to others because of how I feel inside. Many times people see my wife and I together and think we are a interracial couple.

People see me and mistake me for Mexican, White American, Armenian, Greek, in New York they tell me I look Puerto Rican, or Italian. Usually the only people who get it right is Black folks. As I said before, we generally pick up on it right away. Sometimes it can be something very subtle as the way we carry ourselves, but other things I can’t explain. Example I had a black lady come up to me in a train station in Fresno CA, and asked me if she could ask a personal question, and wanted to know if I was Black. I was sitting down by myself quietly and I guess she picked up some sort of vibe.
Congressman G. K. Butterfield (D-NC-01) is one of the best examples of a "white black man" I've ever seen.

This is a black man. Both of his parents were mixed race as well. The few pictures online suggest that they were both darker than he was, and he just by chance ended up with the "white genes."

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 8:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

And what about this guy?

I thought for sure he was bi-racial but apparently he isn't. At least he isn't Euro-Afro bi-racial.

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=fr&t...4dUDCAU&uact=5

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 1:30 AM

I went to a university in Tokyo with a high amount (for Japan) of foreign and mixed students. Maybe half of my friends were half Japanese, half somewhere else. One of my best friends to this day from that time is half Japanese, half white American of German and Spanish descent. When my wife and I go out with her, we’ve had Japanese people ask my full-blooded wife if she’s half and assume she needs English menus, while our half friend who cannot read kanji well is always assumed to be full Japanese.

I didn’t find out one of my other friends was half Japanese until half a year into knowing him: he was 6 foot 3, 250 pounds of muscle, flaming red full beard and mustache, and green eyes. He looked as Irish as they come, super thick Boston accent. But he loved natto and could put back package after package of that hideousness and one day I asked, “How can you possibly eat that shit?” and he said “Dude, I’ve been eating it since I was 3. My mom’s Japanese.” Suddenly his perfect Japanese fluency made sense.

Point is, phenotypes are a total crapshoot. Especially when it comes to diverse admixtures.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions