HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 7:52 PM

I do like sushi, but we may be near the saturation point for sushi restaurants. Though I don't believe Sushi Island is going to be around for too much longer, so it could fill that void if it so comes to that.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 12:53 AM

I can't speak for Sushi Island, and we do have quite a few joints in town now, but Sushi Nami is damn good. Their fusion rolls are bonkers and unlike anything I've seen in St. John's so far. Get in while you can; that building doesn't have a great history.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 11:35 PM

The Legros & Motti signs have now been taken down and replace with The Keg.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 10:19 PM

Was wondering when Burrito Jax would be opening up so I checked out their Facebook page.

As of June 01/15: "Location secured in Glenhill Mall, Mount Pearl. Construction starting soon!"

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 5:24 PM

In this week's Council agenda a renovation permit has been approved for a restaurant at 351 Water St. I hope it is the new, smaller, Legro's and Motti.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 11:00 PM

I noticed the new Keg branding today on the former Legros Motti building too.
Anyone know what's going in the old Keg space? I heard rumours of it becoming a Kelseys but no confirmations that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
The Legros & Motti signs have now been taken down and replace with The Keg.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 8:04 PM

I heard the Bier Market is going there.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 12:42 PM

That would be good too. It's also owned by Cara Foods which owns Kelseys and many other popular restaurants in the city and country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barter View Post
I heard the Bier Market is going there.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 5:56 PM

That would be an excellent alternative to Kelsey's, but I wonder about how expensive it'd be to ship kegs of 200 or so different types of craft beers to here.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 7:17 PM

CARA foods could probably afford to. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
That would be an excellent alternative to Kelsey's, but I wonder about how expensive it'd be to ship kegs of 200 or so different types of craft beers to here.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 7:52 PM

Hey, I was just reading on CARA Foods franchising site that a Kelsey's franchise has been awarded to a couple named Connie and Jason in St. John's. No other details were available other than that.

http://www.carafranchising.com/blog/...re-going-fast/

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 10:01 PM

The Keg restaurant us now opened in the former Legros & Motti location.

Rumour has it that Legros & Motti are going to reopen at 351 Water Street.
I am kinda skeptical now whether it will succeed wherever it opens.

Opinions?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 5:30 PM

An application to open a "Place of Amusement for Mochanopoly" at 279 Duckworth Street has been submitted ( http://www.stjohns.ca/public-notice/...ckworth-street ). According to the proprietor's facebook page, a mochanopolistic amusement place is a board game café ( https://www.facebook.com/MochanopolyCafe ). There was a relevant VOCM article last month, but the link is already dead (why does VOCM kill their links so quickly?). The owners are Leon and Erich Chung ( https://twitter.com/anthonygermain/s...59097280032768 ).

Apparently, board game cafés are a thing of enough cultural import to have attracted an Atlantic Monthly article last year ( http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...e-bars/382828/ ). I had no idea, but it's exciting to see a unique business on Duckworth.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
The Keg restaurant us now opened in the former Legros & Motti location.

Rumour has it that Legros & Motti are going to reopen at 351 Water Street.
I am kinda skeptical now whether it will succeed wherever it opens.

Opinions?
I would like to see a new Legros & Motti succeed however that location in 351 Water may be just “out of the way” enough to reduce traffic. I ate once at the former location and my reason for going there was a much to see the space as it was to try their food. It was certainly first class, in terms of the space, and the food was fine too.
They may be timing their opening at 351 to coincide with the completion of the Convention center and the traffic that will bring.
I wish them well because it is always nice to see local restaurants as opposed to the chains. I cannot figure out the fascination with Jack Astors!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 7:06 PM

Yum Jack Astors.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I wish them well because it is always nice to see local restaurants as opposed to the chains. I cannot figure out the fascination with Jack Astors!
It's because it's new. I can't figure out the obsession with this place or the keg, another restaurant which is no better than Montana's or Swiss Chalet on the mainland, but get this weird "fancy restaurant" fanfare here.

Interesting choice of location if L&M decide to reopen at 351. They wanted to move to a smaller location, but I think the 351 water street restaurant size may be just as big?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 10:45 AM

I read that The Reluctant Chef is moving across the street to the newly renovated building. Assuming it is the three story house next to India Gate.

Also, not a restaurant, but did anyone else notice the construction of the new bar at the end of George Street by Trinity Pub? There is a sign on Duckworth saying it will be Level Nightclub (or something like that..). Looks interesting as they are infilling a lot of that former vacant area.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I read that The Reluctant Chef is moving across the street to the newly renovated building. Assuming it is the three story house next to India Gate.

Also, not a restaurant, but did anyone else notice the construction of the new bar at the end of George Street by Trinity Pub? There is a sign on Duckworth saying it will be Level Nightclub (or something like that..). Looks interesting as they are infilling a lot of that former vacant area.
Oh no :o I thought Trinity Pub was expanding! They tweeted an image of the construction, thought they were gonna add on a piece. boooo.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Oh no :o I thought Trinity Pub was expanding! They tweeted an image of the construction, thought they were gonna add on a piece. boooo.
It looks like trinity is included in this. Perhaps they will occupy that level and the new place with be above on the duckworth street level.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 12:55 PM

Kesey's Restaurant is officially going on kenmount road. It's gonna be located at that new strip mall just before the turnoff to Kesley drive (oddly enough). The new kelseys will be a standalone building as it's not attached to to the strip mall. The footings are already laid for it and there is a kelseys banner out front.

Rumour has it also that Rob Moore, owner of the former Keg building on Harbour Dr. Plans to open yet another un-named, untested restaurant in that location.

Last edited by Arrakis; Jul 10, 2015 at 6:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's