HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I was there once and it was a pretty forgettable experience. Might have been a handy spot if you worked in or near Churchill Square but I would never have gone out of my way to go there.
id never even heard of the place... someone said it closed and i had no clue if it was store or a restaurant

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 8:15 PM

You must be a youngin. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreynolds View Post
id never even heard of the place... someone said it closed and i had no clue if it was store or a restaurant

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
27 I guess that's young

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 11:50 PM

They had great Baklava.

I don't think they did any advertising. It was a popular spot at Christmas, when they turned the place into a wonderland of decorations with a train-set running along the ceiling; even the ceiling tiles were lined with aluminium foil.

Haven't been there in a couple of years, but I'll miss it. Would make a nice spot for a sit-in coffee shop, the Tim's across the street is a really small spot.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreynolds View Post
It wasn't very visible and I don't think they ever did any advertising. So it's understandable even if you lived in the city your whole life that you wouldn't have noticed it.

On a side note, I haven't been down there in a while...Is there a new tenant for the old A&W space yet?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 2:19 PM

Quote:
And therein lies the problem! I think Papa’s was a victim of perhaps not anticipating the change in clientele. I am by no means a youngin’ but I thought of Papa’s as a place for seniors…and no knock against seniors, their money is the same as anyone else’s and in that neighborhood there are some pretty well to do seniors. Over the years though I think, as the population of that area aged, perhaps they didn’t eat out as much and Papa’s was not producing the dining experience catered to the younger generation, such as the downtown restaurant.
Back when it first opened I was part of the younger generation and went there quite often, it was perhaps the only place in the city you could get a decent lasagna at that time, and that was part of its appeal, it wasn’t fish and chips. As for downtown dining, the McMurdo’s lunch counter was about it…lol.
Thirty eight years was a good run, if I thought I could open a restaurant tomorrow that would survive for 38 years (longer than I will) I would go for it.
“for the times they are a changin’ “

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 4:40 PM

Pita Pit is opening up in the space next to Starbucks on Hebron Way. Coming soon signs are up in the windows.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 11:14 PM

Here's an article about the expansion of Burrito Jax throughout Atlantic Canada including opening here in Newfoundland with the first couple of stores opening in St. John's.

http://canadianrestaurantnews.com/at...heads-into-nl-

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 1:41 PM

Hmmm... interesting. Hope it's good.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Here's an article about the expansion of Burrito Jax throughout Atlantic Canada including opening here in Newfoundland with the first couple of stores opening in St. John's.

http://canadianrestaurantnews.com/at...heads-into-nl-
I think there was a post a little while back mentioning their expansion into NL. I've never heard of the chain before but it looks like a cool spot and hopefully it'll do well.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 9:55 PM

Found some site specs from a vocm link fir the proposed gas bar and Tim Hortons for Blackmarsh Rd across from the Dominion Supermarket. Looks to me like they could use a bigger lot.
http://www.vocm.com/mobile/newsartic...?mn=2&id=53475

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 12:56 PM

Here rumours that Magic Wok has been sold on Water Street? Anyone have any info on this?
Apparently business has been affected by lack of parking now that the JAG Hotel is there now.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Here rumours that Magic Wok has been sold on Water Street? Anyone have any info on this?
Apparently business has been affected by lack of parking now that the JAG Hotel is there now.
Haven't heard anything. Parking is no better or worse here than anywhere else downtown. If their business is suffering, I'm sure it is for other reasons. But as usual, people love to blame things on lack of parking.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 2:22 PM

Parking at 351 Water is just 150 metres away so if anything, parking is easier now than ever in that area. Perhaps it's St. John's culture that they have to park on the street instead of a parking structure.

The city has only recently started to advertise what's available for parking downtown. For example the lot on Springdale street (marked as permit only) is available for free parking nights and weekends, according to the new city brochure.

Perhaps businesses downtown should pick up a load of these brochures for customers.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 2:58 PM

Good points. Though its all only rumour at the moment.
Parking is never really the issue. It's wanting to park right outside the door of the restaurant is the problem. People are spoiled here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
Parking at 351 Water is just 150 metres away so if anything, parking is easier now than ever in that area. Perhaps it's St. John's culture that they have to park on the street instead of a parking structure.

The city has only recently started to advertise what's available for parking downtown. For example the lot on Springdale street (marked as permit only) is available for free parking nights and weekends, according to the new city brochure.

Perhaps businesses downtown should pick up a load of these brochures for customers.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post

LOL! People aren't willing to walk to get food, especially a buffet.

As for your other point, the city should really have signs on parking lots saying that you can park there nights and weekends. I went to park somewhere last weekend and couldn't tell if I was allowed or not.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Good points. Though its all only rumour at the moment.
Parking is never really the issue. It's wanting to park right outside the door of the restaurant is the problem. People are spoiled here.
There are even parking spaces on the back of the Magic Wok building (and behind the building Relish is in), that are labeled as reserved for Magic Wok customers. Mind you they are probably taken up by people not eating in their establishment, but my point is that most other restaurants downtown don't have any reserved parking.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
LOL! People aren't willing to walk to get food, especially a buffet.

As for your other point, the city should really have signs on parking lots saying that you can park there nights and weekends. I went to park somewhere last weekend and couldn't tell if I was allowed or not.
If there is no signage you tell you that you can't or it is permitted only, I say it is fair game! LOL. But I agree, there should be signs to say when it is free.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:51 PM

The public meeting scheduled for April 7, 2015 to discuss a proposed Municipal Plan amendment and rezoning of the property located at 257-261 Blackmarsh Road for a North Atlantic gas bar, an Orange Store, and a Tim Horton's with a drive through has been cancelled by the City at the request of the applicant until further notice .

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
If there is no signage you tell you that you can't or it is permitted only, I say it is fair game! LOL. But I agree, there should be signs to say when it is free.
There was signage saying it was permit only but I didn't know if that included weekends. I think the parking lot might be use for residential on evenings and weekends.

This one on Prescott is where I was wondering about. https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.56672...OEQQEZ7nhA!2e0

(That lot would be great for development)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's