HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 9:04 PM

Where can one find General Tso’s Chicken in Winnipeg?

So far, I've only found it at Asia City; they're close to my work, but not my house...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Where can one find General Tso’s Chicken in Winnipeg?

So far, I've only found it at Asia City; they're close to my work, but not my house...
I don't think General Tso's Chicken is a traditional Chinese dish, so most chinese food places wouldn't carry it.

I looked through 50+ chinese restaurants on Urbanspoon and only one place actually had it on the menu, Tasty Chinese Cuisine on Regent Ave.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtim View Post
I don't think General Tso's Chicken is a traditional Chinese dish, so most chinese food places wouldn't carry it.

I looked through 50+ chinese restaurants on Urbanspoon and only one place actually had it on the menu, Tasty Chinese Cuisine on Regent Ave.
Exactly. It's a western Chinese style dish. It's on the menu at Hu's on First, for what it's worth. Not exactly an authentic Asian restaurant.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 8:16 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Exactly. It's a western Chinese style dish. It's on the menu at Hu's on First, for what it's worth. Not exactly an authentic Asian restaurant.
Foody Goody might have it.

Heh.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 11:17 PM

I kind of wish that True North would take ownership over 4Play Sports Bar. I think it would be better run.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
I kind of wish that True North would take ownership over 4Play Sports Bar. I think it would be better run.
Give it a year or two once Centrepoint has a couple of restaurants, City Place has whatever it is that's gonna go into the second floor, and the Met is redeveloped. Either 4Play will have to step it up, or you'll have lots of other places to go to.

Have you tried Rudy's Eat and Drink? Went there before the game against Tampa Bay and enjoyed the food.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Have you tried Rudy's Eat and Drink? Went there before the game against Tampa Bay and enjoyed the food.
I went there before a game last month too, and it was pretty good. Surprisingly empty though (the lounge was somewhat busy, but the restaurant only had a few people). Maybe it was because it had recently opened, and kind of hidden - I hope it takes off.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I went there before a game last month too, and it was pretty good. Surprisingly empty though (the lounge was somewhat busy, but the restaurant only had a few people). Maybe it was because it had recently opened, and kind of hidden - I hope it takes off.
It was packed when I was there, somewhat empty at 5PM but quickly filled (and even at 5 the restaurant area was completely reserved).

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
It was packed when I was there, somewhat empty at 5PM but quickly filled (and even at 5 the restaurant area was completely reserved).
Just thinking back, the night I went was the unusually early 6 PM start Flyers game - that probably had something to do with small crowd (i.e. people heading straight to the game from work wouldn't have had enough time to sit down and eat). I'll definitely go again though, that's for sure.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 3:08 AM
BANNED

there's a new restaurant called "deer + almond" opening up at 85 Princess. not sure when, but it will be a good addition to the area.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 6:56 PM

La Bamba opened on Portage Avenue today next to Dollarama. And renos well under way in the former chocolate shop.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavelle103 View Post
La Bamba opened on Portage Avenue today next to Dollarama. And renos well under way in the former chocolate shop.
That's awesome....now hopefully something takes over the Dollarama. That store is probably one of my least favourite things about downtown. Second only to the other dollar store across the street.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollswpg View Post
That's awesome....now hopefully something takes over the Dollarama. That store is probably one of my least favourite things about downtown. Second only to the other dollar store across the street.
Exactly, you come out the front doors of the MTS Centre and bam there is a Bargain Shop (which is a double shame in the beautiful Somerset building) I know and hope as we move forward that the places will become coveted as they fall in the SHED zone and one day we could see an exodous from Portage of the crap stores.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:07 PM
Heart of the Continent

Dollars a isn't as bad as some other places. Generally, the stores have a pretty diverse clientele. You can really see the improvements in downtown ramping up now though.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollswpg View Post
What about the dollar store in Portage place or the Giant Tiger a block away (although giant tiger does sell groceries. Don't ask how I know but the store brand of frozen fried chicken they sell used a picture of KFC for the packaging). A&B sound was on the verge of being bought and turned into another discount store beore centreventure bought it to prevent that from happening.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 4:25 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

giant tiger is the north west company whos head office is on main st next to the train station.....

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
giant tiger is the north west company whos head office is on main st next to the train station.....

sure is. They also run a chain of stores in Northern Canada called "Northern". Their store brand is known as "Bestvalue" I think.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 4:58 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i'm familiar with the northern stores brand shopped at the one in lynn lake many a time aka the old bay store

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 5:00 PM

has anyone peeked their head into the work being done for the new fox and the fiddle on main, should be opening soon, very curious to see what it looks like, the owners commented on keeping as much of the original marble and whatnot from the building

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 5:14 PM

is there even much work happening on the fox and fiddle? I work nearby and never see anyone coming or going.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan