HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 7:26 PM

Disney in S.A.?

A friend of mind was telling me that reps from Disney were scouting land near Loop 1604 and Hwy 151 a week ago. Anyone else have any other information?

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
A friend of mind was telling me that reps from Disney were scouting land near Loop 1604 and Hwy 151 a week ago. Anyone else have any other information?
I don't comment on things here very often but I felt I should on this one. With two theme parks in SA already I doubt Disney would be stupid enough to put in a park. Remember a few years back when Marriott (when they were in the theme park business) looked at the San Marcos area for a theme park but pulled out. What does Marriott know that Disney doesn't?

You can put this in the same rumor mill as the San Antonio Trump Tower

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 9:05 PM
Ya Dig!!

just one of many places disney was rumored to be placed in the state of the Texas in the last oh....2 centuries..

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 9:39 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
You can put this in the same rumor mill as the San Antonio Trump Tower

Although, honestly, no announcement from the leisure/tourism industry would surprise me.

Six Flags has a tenuous hold on their 1 million-plus visitors a year and Sea World is drawing twice that every year. I would imagine that any company would enjoy that kind of built-in attendance base (although neither park is in the top 25 in north america in attendance...)

Last edited by sakyle04; May 21, 2007 at 10:08 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
texastarkus-With two theme parks in SA already I doubt Disney would be stupid enough to put in a park.
Why would that be a stupid move? California seems to do well with it's theme parks.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 12:52 AM
Meh

I'm not really doubting that San Antonio could support another theme park, heck it could. Look at Orlando. Of course, San Antonio isn't in an area anything like the peninsula of Florida, but still, it is a magnet for tourism. Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Sea World, Splashtown. Anyone know what kind of numbers Splashtown gets? Granted it's microscopic compared to the other two. Also Schlitterbahn is said to have close to a million visitors a year. I think the potential is definitely there, with that many parks and apparently doing well since they're still in operation. Does anyone have any official sources on those visitor numbers? Any that include other Texas parks as well?

I've heard rumors in the past, like 3 or 4 years ago that Disney was planning a park in Texas. But of course it never happened.

Anyway, rumors are a dime a dozen about Disney coming to Texas. Example:
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/news...se.cfm?ID=3298

Not that I care. I can't stand Disney.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 1:24 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

I spent 15 minutes searching for this info - but "it is standard in the industry not to release numbers" so all they have is rough estimates.

I couldn't find any place that listed SA's numbers. All I know is that it wasn't in the top 25.

Schlitterbahn, however, had 880,000 in 2005.

I have always heard that Sea World does a little over 2 million and Fiesta Texas is in the 1-1.4 million neighborhood.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 1:32 AM

Quote:
KevinFromTexas-Anyway, rumors are a dime a dozen about Disney coming to Texas. Example:
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/news...se.cfm?ID=3298
Interesting web link Kevin. The rumors about Disney opening a theme park in S.A. have been going on for atleast 5 years maybe more. Like I said, a friend of mind said people from Disney were looking in the 1604/151 area. Whether they were just b/s my friend is another story. However, I do know Sea World is looking at opening year round which would suggest San Antonio can support year round theme parks. Anyhow, I'm sure more will come out in the coming months.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 1:36 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Rumor has it they bought a ton of land near 90 and 211, so who knows.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Why would that be a stupid move? California seems to do well with it's theme parks.
Same with Orlando. It has a Sea World, Universal Studios, and Orlando is about the same size as SA. Although, I know Disney would do a lot for the SA economy, I would hate to see it end up like Orlando. I live in Pensacola and my family and I go there often. I used to live in San Antonio and it has a lot of personality, I would not want to see it turn into a giant tuorist's trap like Orlando.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 1:45 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Rumor has it they bought a ton of land near 90 and 211, so who knows.
sirking - where do you hear so much about san antonio? i troll around looking for any morsel of info on the city and you seem to be full of them. jeez.... one thing is for sure, things have been much more interesting for us SA forum folks since you showed up - keep churning out the info!!

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 1:51 AM

Disney has supposedly been sniffing around Houston (Sealy, Magnolia, Katy, etc.) for 20 years or so. Here's a long discussion on the subject at HAIF.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/...showtopic=4225

Another here http://www.talkdisney.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20427

and here http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/arch...hp?t-9469.html

Last edited by Saddle Man; May 22, 2007 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 2:35 AM

Quote:
...Like I said, a friend of mind said people from Disney were looking in the 1604/151 area...Anyhow, I'm sure more will come out in the coming months.
Maybe they are going to open a data center

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 2:51 AM
Houstonian

Yeah you hear about this every year.. Earlier this year they were talking about this north of Houston as some suspected some land was bought by Disney and it was fueled by Astroworld shutting down and Splashtown being sold off in Spring. Nothing really around Houston anymore unless you go down to Galveston Island.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 2:55 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Maybe they are going to open a data center

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 3:17 AM
Endless Moments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
sirking - where do you hear so much about san antonio? i troll around looking for any morsel of info on the city and you seem to be full of them. jeez.... one thing is for sure, things have been much more interesting for us SA forum folks since you showed up - keep churning out the info!!

Yes one has to wander??? Although certain traits do strike an air of familiarity…

As for Disney, yeah I have heard the stories before. So who knows…

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 3:19 AM

San Antonio would be a good central location for the US, IMO, but, I've heard nothing of Disney planning any type of expanions outside of Disneyland and Disney World in the US.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:03 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post
Yes one has to wander??? Although certain traits do strike an air of familiarity…

As for Disney, yeah I have heard the stories before. So who knows…
?

I get a lot of my information from another website I post at. That is where the 211/90 purchase rumor was stated.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 5:02 AM
Member since 2001

You are all wrong!

Disney is going to build it's next theme park in Van Horn. The current plan is to call it "Disney's West Texas Adventure."

--EDIT

For all of you who can't figure it out...this is a joke. It was meant to entice a bit of laughter and not an attempt to make fun of, or quell a "rumor," as some may assume.

Last edited by GoldenBoot; May 22, 2007 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 5:55 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

Goldenboot....why is it that you find it amusing to try and put down anything that would be a so called "rumor" posted on an SA forum...so what...who gives a crap if it is a rumor... I see plenty of rumors floatin around on Austin forums, but if an SA forumer says anything about how its just a rumor, they would get bashed. Let us SA folks talk about what we want to talk about without you injecting your somewhat snide comments.

COME ON DISNEY! and BRING ON THE W!!! HAHA!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio