HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 6:07 PM

March CDR is up

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 6:20 PM

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 7:55 PM

Nice! Another highrise! Plus, love all the low and mid-rise stuff going up in so many different areas of the city.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 1:14 AM

Alexander Calder will finally get a prime museum site on the Parkway, across from Barnes and Rodin

Quote:
A little more than two decades after a Calder museum was first proposed for the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, the long-dormant idea has blossomed again, funding has materialized, and backers say that, by spring 2021, construction should get underway between 21st and 22nd Streets across from the Barnes Foundation and the Rodin Museum.

Many details of the project, which would feature works by the endlessly inventive Alexander Calder, creator of the mobile, still have to be worked out, but supporters say they are committed for the long haul. Major funders include the Neubauer Family Foundation, the Pew Charitable Trusts, and the estate of H.F. “Gerry” Lenfest.

The works for display, which have not yet been selected, will be lent by the New York-based Calder Foundation for 99 years and would rotate through the Philadelphia facility, known informally as Calder Philadelphia. The art will be displayed in and around a building with a prominent garden.

Herzog & de Meuron, the Pritzker Prize-winning architects behind London’s Tate Modern, have signed on to the project, but no design renderings are yet available.
Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/arts/alexan...-20200220.html

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 1:22 AM

^^very excited about the Calder museum. We’ve already got an impressive collection of art on the parkway and it’s about to get that much better! Nice spot to fill in too - that’s a bit of a dead zone.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
^^very excited about the Calder museum. We’ve already got an impressive collection of art on the parkway and it’s about to get that much better! Nice spot to fill in too - that’s a bit of a dead zone.
Underutilized is an understatement. Seems like what is currently there could best be described as a junkyard. Truly perplexing what has been going on here, so happy to see it be developed into a unique cultural institution. Will be an enormous improvement.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 2:56 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Underutilized is an understatement. Seems like what is currently there could best be described as a junkyard. Truly perplexing what has been going on here, so happy to see it be developed into a unique cultural institution. Will be an enormous improvement.
The Inquirer says PennDOT is currently utilizing it as a staging area for some construction, but I walk by that area a lot and I'm pretty sure I've seen various city vehicles there as well (police, fire, etc.) mostly around special events, so agreed it'll be good to see it developed into more than just a government parking lot!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 7:05 PM

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 5:16 PM

Is this finally the slow down in the market we all know has been coming? The coronavirus coupled with the election in November may slow things down for a couple of years.

I'm anticipating anything that doesn't get funding and break ground this year will probably be mothballed or put on hold.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Alexander Calder will finally get a prime museum site on the Parkway, across from Barnes and Rodin

Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/arts/alexan...-20200220.html
Does Inga hate this yet? It's not a project until she does.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 6:26 PM

^ Ha. I think we have to wait for the rendering for that to happen. However, she was spot on in her criticism of the Barnes, which, despite being an interesting and relatively handsome building, has ZERO interaction with the Parkway. Even if copying the layout of the Lower Merion building precluded a front door, there could at least have bene an outdoor cafe or something accessible on the Parkway side. How does a French Impressionist museum not have a sidewalk cafe on our premier museum Boulevard?

Anyway, I hope the Calder building doesn't turn its back on the Parkway as well. Even if a side entrance is optimal, this would be a perfect spot for a Parkway-facing cafe. It's pretty much the halfway point between Logan Square and the Museum of Art. Added to the Dilworth Plaza cafes, the Cret cafe adjacent to Love Park, and the cafe in front of the Cathedral, the addition of one at the Calder would have "rest stops" very well placed from City Hall to Fairmount.

If I recall correctly, a permanent installation of some sort is planned for Eakins oval as well. Now if we could only find the Fairmount folk a new place for ball fields and could do a PHA style implosion of Park Towne Place.....

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 6:31 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
The Barnes was designed like a vault for its priceless art. There's no chairs or tables to sit outside. I think it's all intentional.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 7:04 PM

^ Even banks have a candy dish. Are you thinking that this "vault" is meant to protect the art from some sort of attack? Having a cafe outside doesn't conflict with planters/walls/bollards to prevent a vehicular incident/attack. A nut with an explosive vest could crawl into the bushes, cafe or not. It doesn't have to be as inhospitable as it is currently. Even Mr. Barnes had a nice garden for folks to wander outside of the old building. This thing is solely oriented toward welcoming folks from the car park and tour bus drop-off.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 7:12 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^ Even banks have a candy dish. Are you thinking that this "vault" is meant to protect the art from some sort of attack? Having a cafe outside doesn't conflict with planters/walls/bollards to prevent a vehicular incident/attack. A nut with an explosive vest could crawl into the bushes, cafe or not. It doesn't have to be as inhospitable as it is currently. Even Mr. Barnes had a nice garden for folks to wander outside of the old building. This thing is solely oriented toward welcoming folks from the car park and tour bus drop-off.
No, nothing like that. Just an observation that it's not pedestrian friendly or for just hanging out. Like you, I wish that would have a cafe overlooking the garden, reflection pool, etc. Even buying tickets to go inside are in an adjacent smaller building on the grounds.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 7:35 PM

^Barnes, as much as he despised the "elites," was tremendously elitist himself. His will's strictures almost killed the art collection that he sought to protect. After going to the trouble of relocating the collection, I can't believe that there was a deliberate effort to be inhospitable. It's probably just more of the same tone deafness to the requirements of urbanism.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Is this finally the slow down in the market we all know has been coming? The coronavirus coupled with the election in November may slow things down for a couple of years.

I'm anticipating anything that doesn't get funding and break ground this year will probably be mothballed or put on hold.
I doubt it. people are kind of panicking about coronavirus right now but I don't think it will herald an overall long term downturn in markets.
the election - no way that's affecting construction markets now. too many things can happen between now and November, too many variables.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
I doubt it. people are kind of panicking about coronavirus right now but I don't think it will herald an overall long term downturn in markets.
the election - no way that's affecting construction markets now. too many things can happen between now and November, too many variables.
Agree with this, people are panic selling. Not saying coronavirus is nothing, but this seems a little excessive. I mean, over 10,000 people have died from the flu this season in the US alone and nobody mentions it. The vast majority of those that have sadly died from the corona virus are older people or those with a compromised immune system. Travel bans are certainly going to affect the economy, but we've got multiple biopharma companies racing to come up with a vaccine.

The election totally depends on who is the Democratic nominee, then who ultimately becomes (or stays) president.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
It has nothing to do with the death rate itself, per se.

It's that massive parts of the economy are at risk due to supply shocks.

About 20% of my company's revenue is generated from products made in China. We are projecting, even if the factories start operating at full capacity soon and the ports re-open (which they have not), that we will run out of this product in April. That is because we can't ship this product air and it must go on a boat, which has a 35 day transit time. (That's just port to port).

So, we have a risk of losing 20% of our revenue for a period of time until we can get replenishment product.

There are thousands of companies managing the same risk right now.

On top of that, the virus itself has not spread as expected, but as it does, there will be a ripple effect in terms of tourism travel etc. Think about what just happened in Italy. Literally, most travel has halted to and from Northern Italy (Lombary, Milan).

These shocks together will have a very real effect on GDP which risks causing a recession. It might be a blip sure, and the markets have probably over corrected, but one could argue they were overly optimistic in spite of luke warm global data as it were.

From my past experience, when people feel the need start explaining all the reasons why we aren't in a bubble, it usually means we are in a bubble.

My gut tells me Philly will be more insulated than other regions in part because what I see in the data in terms of labor force growth. Meaning, there are lots of people moving to Philly and SE PA in general at the moment for some reason and that in and of itself needs to be accomodated, through new construction etc.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 3:36 PM

Another new CHOP Tower coming

Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is ‘essentially full,’ so it’s pumping $3.4B to expand

Quote:
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, bursting at the seams on its University City campus, has unleashed a $3.4 billion building boom.

The existing Children’s Hospital, with 560 beds, draws patients from far and wide and is frequently nearly full, said chief operating officer Doug Hock. When it opens, the new, 22-story tower will have 300 beds — with space for 200 more — all in private rooms, which is important, given the types of patients who spend time in the hospital now.

Hospital officials are well into the planning for a new inpatient tower, which will rise where the Wood Center now stands. As is the case with Penn’s new patient pavilion, it will take years to complete. Hock called the $1.9 billion price tag conceptual. “It’s one that we’ll obviously refine as we go deeper into the planning,” he said.

The cost is higher than the $1.5 billion that Penn is spending on its new tower, which has risen behind the Penn Museum and is expected to open next year, because it is all-encompassing, including the cost of renovating the main hospital building, Hock said.
Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/business/he...-20200301.html

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 4:45 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is ‘essentially full,’ so it’s pumping $3.4B to expand

Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/business/he...-20200301.html
Will building 4 on the map be demolished and built from ground up? The price tag makes me believe so.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations