HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:29 PM

Mobile in LA, Memphis in MS, Charleston in GA.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:36 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Kansas City, MO into Kansas.

Michigan City, IN into Michigan.

If for no other reason than to end the confusion surrounding their names.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:42 PM

Buffalo should be somewhere where buffalo roam.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:50 PM

Philadelphia belongs in New Jersey.

It's the very reason for the state of Pennsylvania's existence, but an uninformed visitor to Philadelphia would barely know that it's the primate city of a state that stretches 300 miles to the west. Somewhat akin to the relation of NYC to the rest of New York state on a much smaller scale.

And among the very first attributes of Philadelphia that denizens cite about their city is not even integral to the city itself. Very often, the first thing a Philadelphia-area local mentions when talking about his city is its proximity to New York, followed by the Jersey shore.

I happen to think that Philadelphia is a great city on its own... but it always feels like locals want to almost immediately tout that NYC is 2 hours away or the shore is 60 miles away. It's clear that, at least subconsicously, they want to be part of Jersey.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post

It's the very reason for the state of Pennsylvania's existence, but an uninformed visitor to Philadelphia would barely know that it's the primate city of a state that stretches 300 miles to the west. Somewhat akin to the relation of NYC to the rest of New York state on a much smaller scale.

And among the very first attributes of Philadelphia that denizens cite about their city is not even integral to the city itself. Very often, the first thing a Philadelphia-area local mentions when talking about his city is its proximity to New York, followed by the Jersey shore.

I happen to think that Philadelphia is a great city on its own... but it always feels like locals want to almost immediately tout that NYC is 2 hours away or the shore is 60 miles away. It's clear that, at least subconsicously, they want to be part of Jersey.
I was going to say that NYC would fit in as part of New Jersey. There is far more cultural overlap between NYC and NJ than there is between NYC and upstate NY.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 4:00 PM

Windsor, Ontario, should be in Michigan
Las Vegas in California
Pittsburgh in West Virginia (to give WV a big city)
Grand Rapids in Wisconsin or Minnesota

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 4:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Grand Rapids in Wisconsin or Minnesota
This one doesn't seem straightforward to me.

Rationale for why GR would fit better with those states rather than MI?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 4:21 PM

Quote:
I was going to say that NYC would fit in as part of New Jersey. There is far more cultural overlap between NYC and NJ than there is between NYC and upstate NY.
Yeah, you could make an argument that both NYC and Philly belong more in Jersey.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 5:06 PM

Quote:
I really don't think that's accurate, not at least amongst any Philadelphian I've met. I think this really gets to more of the quintessential "East vs. West" divide in PA.

And it's not as though New Jersey itself is homogenous; there's very distinct different between North and South Jersey. If anything, "Piedmont PA"--which encompasses the Philly area, the Lehigh Valley, and South-Central PA--really forms its own distinctive region, economically, demographically and politically.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
I really don't think that's accurate, not at least amongst any Philadelphian I've met. I think this really gets to more of the quintessential "East vs. West" divide in PA.

And it's not as though New Jersey itself is homogenous; there's very distinct different between North and South Jersey. If anything, "Piedmont PA"--which encompasses the Philly area, the Lehigh Valley, and South-Central PA--really forms its own distinctive region, economically, demographically and politically.
Philadelphia feels much more tied to New Jersey than it is tied to the rest of PA, including the Lehigh Valley and south central PA. It really has nothing to do with an "East vs West" divide of Pennsylvania. The fact is that Philly more closely associates with south Jersey and up to NYC than it does with the vast majority of eastern PA even.

Across the Delaware River is Philly suburbs. While sprawl has stretched northward, it would be a very long shot to refer to the Lehigh Valley similarly. To say nothing of trying to make the same association with south central PA... I mean, you really think that Philadelphians think of York, Chambersburg, Shippensburg, etc. the same way they think of south Jersey in relation to their city/region?

And I'm not at all claiming that NJ is homogenous. Philly, due to its geographic location within the state of PA, its history, and its proximity to NYC wtih its massive pull, is just naturally going to be attracted away from the rest of its own state... and that force of attraction pulls it into NJ, way way way more than any notion of a cohesive "Piedmont PA" pulls it in the other direction.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 7:55 PM

I feel like St. George should maybe be in Nevada--it's in the Mojave Desert and outside the Great Basin that has most of the population of Utah.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Philadelphia feels much more tied to New Jersey than it is tied to the rest of PA, including the Lehigh Valley and south central PA. It really has nothing to do with an "East vs West" divide of Pennsylvania. The fact is that Philly more closely associates with south Jersey and up to NYC than it does with the vast majority of eastern PA even.

Across the Delaware River is Philly suburbs. While sprawl has stretched northward, it would be a very long shot to refer to the Lehigh Valley similarly. To say nothing of trying to make the same association with south central PA... I mean, you really think that Philadelphians think of York, Chambersburg, Shippensburg, etc. the same way they think of south Jersey in relation to their city/region?

And I'm not at all claiming that NJ is homogenous. Philly, due to its geographic location within the state of PA, its history, and its proximity to NYC wtih its massive pull, is just naturally going to be attracted away from the rest of its own state... and that force of attraction pulls it into NJ, way way way more than any notion of a cohesive "Piedmont PA" pulls it in the other direction.
I always thought that Metro Philly was tilted to the PA side more than the NJ side. I also think that eastern PA towns, out to about Harrisburg, feel like little Philadelphias. Western PA is definitely its own thing, though.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 8:38 PM

Quote:
I mean, I understand the point that geographically being located on the eastern edge of PA creates "spillover" effect, but that's just the dynamic of being a large metro area centered on a state border. There's obviously an economic connection to NJ in the Philly area, but I think that's very distinctive from NJ being a "pull." In fact, it's quite the opposite; South Jersey is really "pulled" into the PA sphere, just as North Jersey is "pulled" into the NY sphere.

But again, the metro pull cuts both ways. Philly is the indisputable anchor of Southeastern PA, and yes, that pull most definitely goes as far north as the Lehigh Valley, and as far west as Southcentral PA, based on historic links, commuter patterns, culture, etc. Metro areas are always centrifugal in nature.

I'm an eastern PA native who really grew up in the exurbs of Philly. I'm well aware of the "Philly belongs in NJ" trope, which is decades old, and at its core, a politically-tinged lament that originated amongst the rural PA crowd for reasons of political resentment. But it doesn't have any meaningful basis in reality.

Quote:
I always thought that Metro Philly was tilted to the PA side more than the NJ side. I also think that eastern PA towns, out to about Harrisburg, feel like little Philadelphias. Western PA is definitely its own thing, though.
Yes, you're correct on all of the above.

Last edited by UrbanRevival; Feb 23, 2024 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 5:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's tough because I do both agree and disagree with your statements.

While modern day Philadelphia would probably be far more progressive and better off if it were in the state of New Jersey, and in many ways Pennsylvania holds Philadelphia back, I do think Philadelphia and it's surrounding suburban counties in the state are quintessential Pennsylvania. The reality is that Pennsylvania just needs to show Philadelphia more respect. Philadelphia is quite literally where the state was founded, was the first state capital, is home to a lot of the state's and country's early history, and is the de facto #1 economic region of the state today. The lack of transit funding, highway cleaning and funding, public education funding for the city, lack of common sense business laws and regulations, and lack of common sense gun laws are just some of the ways the state holds Philadelphia (and really all of it's cities) back.

Philadelphia is certainly tied to South Jersey, and Camden, Burlington and Gloucester counties are heavily tied to the city.... and the South Jersey shore towns are chock full of beach houses owned by Philadelphian's or residents of the surrounding PA suburban counties... but the undoubted center of the region is Philadelphia, lower Montgomery County, and inner-Delaware County. The city, the airport, places like Media and Upper Darby in Delaware County, the Main Line (the wealthiest and most prestigious suburbs in not only the Philadelphia region, but all of Pennsylvania), King of Prussia, Conshohocken, Willow Grove/Abington/Jenkintown/Glenside area...sort-of everything within the rough circle created by I-476, the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and I-295 in South Jersey is the center of the Philadelphia region. The majority of that is within Pennsylvania.

Furthermore, the 6 Philadelphia counties in Pennsylvania in the Philadelphia MSA/CSA are 6 of the 10 largest counties in the state of Pennsylvania. The largest county is the city of Philadelphia. Two more of the largest counties in PA directly abut the Philadelphia Region - Lancaster and Lehigh Counties. That's over 5 Million in total population in the state in those 8 out of 10 largest Pennsylvania counties. That's literally 40% of the states population.

So yes, I would say Philadelphia is absolutely quintessential Pennsylvania and really acts as the center of Pennsylvania. It's the #1 economic hub and the most populous part of the state.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post

I agree with this. Why would the economic power of the state cede it to some rednecks? CUlturally, politically, and economically, the most relevant areas of PA are south and east of I80. I just spent half the week in Altoona for work and took Amtrak to and from Philly. The feel of the state changes immediately after Harrisburg...from organized, scenic, and affluent to borderline despair. I don't know why the disparity...maybe its some cultural Appalachian baggage. Who knows. But it was depressing.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 3:20 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Kansas City, MO into Kansas.

Michigan City, IN into Michigan.

If for no other reason than to end the confusion surrounding their names.
Going back to this.

(in a vain attempt to quell the PA insanity)

Are there any other US cities that are named after a state that that they are not located in?

Specifically, I'm looking for "_____ City", where the blank is the name of a state that the city ain't in.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Going back to this.

(in a vain attempt to quell the PA insanity)

Are there any other US cities that are named after a state that that they are not located in?

Specifically, I'm looking for "_____ City", where the blank is the name of a state that the city ain't in.
Two that come to mind immediately: Nevada City, CA and Virginia City, NV.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 4:37 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Two that come to mind immediately: Nevada City, CA and Virginia City, NV.
Also Colorado City, AZ.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 3:06 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Also Colorado City, AZ.
and Idaho Springs, CO.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 3:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Cool, there are quite a few of these:

Kansas City, MO
Michigan City, IN
Nevada City, CA
Virginia City, NV
Missouri City, TX
Colorado City, AZ

Idaho Springs, CO

Any others?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions