HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Trivia question: Is Bob's Motel the only motel that has existed in that general location? In the early 80s my family visited a seriously ill relative in Thunder Bay and stayed at that approximate site (north side of Arthur, not really close to the airport). We arrived quite late and found the lock to the door of the room broken, a window that would not close properly and a light that started smoking when turned on. My parents quickly took us elsewhere the second night.
No, I believe there were several other hotel/motels along that stretch. I can't remember and wasn't around when they existed, so I don't know details. Most of those old buildings are gone now, replaced by other commercial businesses.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 3:19 AM
I am a typical

There was the Ritz Motel at Arthur and Ford which is now an RBC, that one was pretty bad.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 3:50 AM

No it was not the Ritz. The place we stayed was on the north side of Arthur with the rooms perpendicular to the street, not parallel.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 4:02 PM
I am a typical

Must have been Bob's then, I'm not aware of any other hotels on that side of the street.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 10:16 PM

Thanks!

Thunder Bay has been doing quite well with chain hotels with the recent opening of the Hampton Inn (Hilton), Courthouse Hotel (Choice) and the Delta (Marriott). More to come with a Home 2 (Hilton), Motel 6 and a Choice brand on the way.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 4:57 PM

THUNDER BAY

The local Shoeless Joe's franchise is gone, and will be replaced by a local roadhouse themed restaurant eventually.

The proposal to convert the former Scan House into a dental clinic is proceeding through final design & bidding stages right now.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
THUNDER BAY

The local Shoeless Joe's franchise is gone, and will be replaced by a local roadhouse themed restaurant eventually.

The proposal to convert the former Scan House into a dental clinic is proceeding through final design & bidding stages right now.
Shoeless seems to have problems, not sure why. We had one open in London 6 or 7 years ago. Had the marketing gimmick of being partly owned by either Scott or Tessa's dad (the Canadian figure skaters). It lasted a couple years and closed and now is a Kelsey's. Then another opened up downtown last year directly across from the arena. Always seemed to be busy, hockey radio pre-game shows broadcast live from there. Nice place. Closed in a few months.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 3:47 AM

There has been a franchise opportunity ad for Shoeless Joe's in Timmins near Walmart and Microtel for awhile but it will never happen.

I've been to one down South and found it to be nothing exciting. Too similar to a number of other chains. I've never heard anybody say that it stands out in any way.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 5:18 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
There has been a franchise opportunity ad for Shoeless Joe's in Timmins near Walmart and Microtel for awhile but it will never happen.

I've been to one down South and found it to be nothing exciting. Too similar to a number of other chains. I've never heard anybody say that it stands out in any way.
We had a Shoeless Joe's in North Bay. It lasted a few months. I think it's now a locally-based restaurant.

I mean, they're all kind of the same mediocrity, so I don't know why one would seek out these kinds of chain places in the age of being able to instantly search and find decent local restaurants.

In the day where one might be taking a gamble when choosing a local place (pre-internet), I could see the advantage to the predictability of a chain place. I get the idea behind fast-food being a chain thing because the economics of mass-production lend themselves to low-cost food.

Then again, Boston Pizzas and whatnot blight the land, so I guess there has to be some money in it.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 9:25 PM

Clearing

May 4th, 1st day allowed to start in Phase 1, clearing started at Terra Vista....next condo building....

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 1:29 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://drydennow.com/local/bus-serv...eg-thunder-bay

Does this mean that ONTC will now go as far as Winnipeg, MB? If yes, wow, that will be quite the leap from ending just at Hearst or White River before.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 5:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://drydennow.com/local/bus-serv...eg-thunder-bay

Does this mean that ONTC will now go as far as Winnipeg, MB? If yes, wow, that will be quite the leap from ending just at Hearst or White River before.
That is what it sounds like.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 12:40 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Very nice. We’ve had trains that end in Rouyn-Noranda, QC. Now we will also have buses that end in another province too.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Very nice. We’ve had trains that end in Rouyn-Noranda, QC. Now we will also have buses that end in another province too.
That was never Ontario owned.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 10:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
That is what it sounds like.
Good on ONTC. The Northwest got shafted with bus service after Greyhound stopped, so better that the ONTC use the savings from discontinuing rail to expand service. Especially since the rail and bus services competed with each other for the same passenger.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 11:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Good on ONTC. The Northwest got shafted with bus service after Greyhound stopped, so better that the ONTC use the savings from discontinuing rail to expand service. Especially since the rail and bus services competed with each other for the same passenger.
Agreed. Now, I wonder, if the province brings back the Northlander, would the rest of Northern Ontario that isn't served by rail complain loud enough that something is put in there too?

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Trivia question: Is Bob's Motel the only motel that has existed in that general location? In the early 80s my family visited a seriously ill relative in Thunder Bay and stayed at that approximate site (north side of Arthur, not really close to the airport). We arrived quite late and found the lock to the door of the room broken, a window that would not close properly and a light that started smoking when turned on. My parents quickly took us elsewhere the second night.
Not sure of the years it existed or exact location but believe there was one called Paradise Motel in that general area.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 7:51 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
No it was not the Ritz. The place we stayed was on the north side of Arthur with the rooms perpendicular to the street, not parallel.
There was another hotel on the north side of Arthur that shared a parking lot with Boston Pizza. Can't remember the name.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 3:13 AM

^ You are both correct. The Paradise Hotel was on the north side of Arthur with rooms perpendicular to the street beside where Boston Pizza is now. You can see before and after pictures on this page:

http://hotrodsandjalopies.blogspot.c...t-william.html

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 3:45 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario