HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 10:23 PM
video et taceo

i always enjoy vienna.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 12:41 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I laughed out loud at the last picture. So cute to include it.

And great set.

The greatest city of the German-speaking people in the era whose architecture/urban form I most prefer.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 4:38 AM

^ Friend, I certainly won't laugh at all. Pallo won't show here cause he's full of mercy, but they're developing a serious highrise cluster over there too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donau_City

Yes. And if you're still dumb and embittered enough to constantly compare cities with cities, I'll willingly admit although i've never been there, it all seems much like huge Greater Paris to me, just with fewer people for now, to a smaller scale, thus still easier to maintain in its original beauty, which is the only cool point of being smaller. It does look big enough already, however. Nowhere to go but growing, like a perfect counterpart (or virtual rival, take it as you will) of my hometown as Prague may be as well.

I'm wondering whether Germany has anything as 'grand' as this yet indeed... In fact, I swear you should even beware of Poland too. Some of my relatives and friends recently visited it and can't stop advertising. Like it's almost annoying. They brought some vodka that I'm still unable to drink from over there.

Pallo had a huge European tour, I'm seeing. He may have seen more than I have myself thus far.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 5:53 AM
RIP Knut!

^^^^ Vienna has a huge public housing stock (220.000 apartments to be exact ) so I don't think there is a housing problem. I have hardly seen any homeless people at least in the city center and I found Vienna to be a very functional city - if only they spoke English instead of German I would consider living there

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I'm wondering whether Germany has anything as 'grand' as this yet indeed...
None of the German kingdoms was as ostentatious and pompous as Austria-Hungary... even Berlin as the capital of the unified German empire was relatively modestly built.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 8:12 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering whether Germany has anything as 'grand' as this yet indeed.
Heck, no. In terms of aesthetics, monumentalism, and grandiosity, Vienna is easily the king of the Germanic world.

It's almost certainly the second grandest and most monumental city on the continent (after Paris, of course). You immediately know you are at the nexus of what was a vast and wealthy empire.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 9:08 PM

I have a feeling that Austria is just more severely Catholic than even Bavaria itself. These are things that still come to us from the past and ancient habits, not just stereotypes. I think a great balance would be a mix of the Austrian grandeur and the German efficiency. That would be perfect to serve our overall interest.

The Germans as the Swiss, the Dutch and the Scandinavians are quite often praised over here nowadays. In fact, we've been taking them all as models to follow. We're trying to earn some of their 'sobriété,' that's a fantastic effective virtue that English can't even translate properly to my knowledge. The English-speaking world was kind of spoiled by too much of Frenchness somehow, right? Sobriété means both nice simplicity and effective seriousness. It helps to focus. That's what we've lacked for too long in France and elsewhere. That being said, grandeur and cool fantasy are still necessary as well to set inspiring examples. That's why I'm talking about balance.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling that Austria is just more severely Catholic than even Bavaria itself. These are things that still come to us from the past and ancient habits, not just stereotypes. I think a great balance would be a mix of the Austrian grandeur and the German efficiency. That would be perfect to serve our overall interest.
Austria's reputation, at least to Germans, is that its people are more traditional, conservative (not in the political sense, though), quaint and rooted. I don't know if they're more Catholic than Bavaria, but they are certainly culturally different. Plus they talk funny.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 9:21 AM
video et taceo

vienna feels a lot different from paris. paris is frenetic where vienna is stately.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 9:55 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

when will you realize
vienna waits for you

this means nothing to me
oh, vienna

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Nice shots of my favorite European city.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:35 PM
don't *meddle*...

Great pics!
Vienna just scored no.1 in the 2014 Quality of Living survey by Mercer.
It's a very safe city (iirc only 9 murders last year for a city of 1.8M). Also, there are no "no-go areas", even at nighttime.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 2:19 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

a few shots of old Berlin for the sake of comparison.

http://cdn.ipernity.com

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu

http://www.tagesspiegel.de

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
a few shots of old Berlin for the sake of comparison.
Any significant European city has that kind of areas with a stately, quaint, grand or whatever feeling.

Our main concern on this side of the Atlantic is just to keep our cities moving forward and growing, to create some contemporary wealth and be attractive by today's achievements as well. That's why I pointed out Donau City in this thread. To show what we're actually about today, dammit. The historic districts would end up falling apart if we can't create any contemporary wealth.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 5:47 AM

Great pics as always pallo! You sure do get around!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 1:04 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos