HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 10:17 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
It looks like the Inspire took full advantage of the 175' limit:

https://www.instagram.com/liveatinspire/
I'm wondering though, what are they going to do with the moon tower that was there? They just posted today in the main thread about a project on South 1st at an old funeral home, that otherwise sounds great, but there's another moon tower on that corner that I fear will also be removed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
1600 S 1st St (the old Angel funeral home)

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=219230

https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachme...8boLNR6g%3D%3D

These are saying it'll be an underground parking garage with some floors above ground containing 62 residential and commercial condo units.
Aren't they considered historic and they can't so easily be removed or discarded? Not any kind of NIMBY at all here, just concerned for something considered iconic to Austin that are in two very up and coming areas. The tourists will wanna see em right?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 10:24 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I'm wondering though, what are they going to do with the moon tower that was there? They just posted today in the main thread about a project on South 1st at an old funeral home, that otherwise sounds great, but there's another moon tower on that corner that I fear will also be removed:

Aren't they considered historic and they can't so easily be removed or discarded? Not any kind of NIMBY at all here, just concerned for something considered iconic to Austin that are in two very up and coming areas. The tourists will wanna see em right?
They are iconic ans preserved. I think the one on S.1st. won't be going anywhere but I could be wrong. Haven't they moved some in a couple of cases?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post

Sometimes they are temporarily removed so they don't get damaged and arent' in the way during construction. If they're in good condition they will be returned, or installed in another location if they can't be placed back in their original location.

THere's one near 11th and Rosewood that's been down for a coupel of years now, I think it's getting refurbished.

Here's a really cool interactive map of all the moon towers in austin, past and present, with tidbits about each one's history:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...196038819&z=15

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 8:57 AM
Meh

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...n-to-west.html
Quote:
Lincoln Ventures brings the Ruckus — again — to West Campus with another student-housing mid-rise
Luxury amenities include coffee shop, 'sky gym' on the seventh floor with view of UT Tower

By Will Anderson – Digital Editor, Austin Business Journal
Apr 19, 2018, 7:52am

The Ruckus 2.0 will be at 2401 Rio Grande St. It will have 67 fully furnished units and 239 beds. Each unit will have a flat-screen TV, high-speed cable and internet, and a washer and dryer.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 4:43 PM

Crane going up for The Nine

The Nine by Darius Fontenette, on Flickr

The Nine by Darius Fontenette, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 1:21 AM

The Drag’s Goodall Wooten residents told to vacate after dorm’s sale

Quote:
The roughly 60 people who live at the Goodall Wooten, a residential dormitory on the Drag known affectionately as “The Woo,” have been told they have to vacate next month and find new housing after being told the building was sold.

Beardsley said she and other advisers were called last week into a meeting with the building manager, Kevin Wright, who told them the Wooten would be sold and residents had to leave by May 16, when their leases expire.

She said they weren’t told whether the building would be torn down or redeveloped, but in the days that followed, they told all the residents they would have to leave.

A deed history shows it has not been sold yet and lists the owner as David McCullough, who could not be reached Friday.

No site plans have been submitted to the city for the property, records show.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 2:30 AM

That's rather sudden for the residents. But if nobody's lease was being renewed beyond 05/16, they should have been looking for new places already.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Apr 29, 2018 at 9:59 AM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 5:42 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

That building always reminds me of something you'd see in Japan. Lots of concrete type residential buildings with row balconies.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 5:58 PM
Meh

Yep. It's the type of building you'd expect to see in Asia with people's skivvies hanging off the balcony fluttering in the wind.

That's a relatively small lot, though. Most of the West Campus towers have been big buildings. I'm curious to see what they'll do with it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 1:49 AM

That thing has been around for over 60 years. Its ugly, but I'd hate to see it torn down.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 2:03 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I will be happy to see it gone.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 7:39 AM
Meh

It's not the best looking building, but that stretch of Guadalupe can't be denied. That area was street level urban long before downtown caught on to that. That building has always struck me as being straight urban functional. It won't win any beauty pageants, but it's an anchor of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That's rather sudden for the residents. But if nobody's lease was being renewed beyond 05/16, they should have been looking for new places already.
Exactly this - I believe this is a dorm not an apt building, and like all other dorms it will close at the end of the school year. The residents shouldn't be surprised by this, except maybe the fact that they won't be able to return after the summer.

This building has been an eyesore for decades, but perhaps if it has good bones I could see it being remodeled and refurbished into something nice. Take those ugly concrete (or whatever TF they are) panels off the balconies, repaint, maybe add some nice contemporary fluorishes and I could see that building getting new life.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 3:33 PM

The Woo is garbage. I've known people who lived there over the years. It is off campus housing, and the little cliques that formed from people who lived there were pretty degenerate (even more so than typical dorms). One of my buddies moved in and within a year, he was on drugs and dropped out of engineering school. Sure, that's anecdotal, but that crew looked upon themselves as "outsiders" and lived up to that as best they could. I would love to see the graduation rates of the residents of the Woo, I bet its not good.

I'll be happy to see it go. It reminds me of the Munich terrorist attack. Strange reference, I know, but I'm an Olympic enthusiast. [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by urbancore; Apr 30, 2018 at 3:38 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 7:09 PM

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:17 PM

what are those boxes attached to all the balconies on the beige building?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
what are those boxes attached to all the balconies on the beige building?
Damn it Dcbrickley, now you got me wondering the same thing If they are purely cosmetic, I'd call it a fail. Alas, we may never know.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 2:14 AM
Love Austin

The Planning Commission amended CodeNEXT to eliminate parking requirements in all of UNO. If there is a single place in Texas that makes sense to do this it is here IMO. 50,000 students and most of them love the idea of rolling out of bed, walking across the street and being in class. Question now is whether or not the City Council will accept the change (and accept CodeNEXT altogether). One can hope, our current land development code, written in 1984, is oppressive and irrelevant.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 10:39 PM

The latest AULCC files didn't have anything too interesting. But the Moxy hotel is 100% designed and construction is planned to start in September.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/AULCC_2018/180628/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:05 PM

West Campus Sports Bar Tap 24 Is Now Closed

Quote:
Tap 24, the West Campus sports bar adjacent to barbecue restaurant Freedmen’s, is now closed. Its last day of service on 1004 West 24th Street was on Monday, June 11.

Even though Tap 24 was popular for watching soccer games and the World Cup is coming up, the timing of the shutter made sense because its TABC permit is set to expire soon, according to general manager Cassidy Mora. Rather than renew, owner Cuatro Kowalski decided to let it go. There are plans to sell the 24th Street bar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin