Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Aug 23, 2006, 10:42 PM
Old Fart Forumer

You got that right Vis.

So how's it going? Getting acclimated?

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Aug 23, 2006, 11:00 PM
Missing the Gorges

Well, it's been awkward at times, and I've run into some of the "House in the Hamptons" folks here, but otherwise, life has been pretyy good, and I've discovered that I've managed to create a schedule that works very well for me. Among the things I've done in Ithaca:

-Visited the Johnson Museum
-Been down at the falls
-Took a trip to Collegetown, to enhance my knowledge of the area (noticed those student ghettoes right behind restored buildings, curiously enough)
-Participated in the Orientation activites, and noticed that along with renovations and the Thurston Avenue Bridge reconstruction, there is a lot going up.
-Went to my advisor meeting, and discovered that the freshmen class in my major numbers 17 people, out of 3,258 total. However, the classroom is at the top of Bradfield Hall, so after class I could easily take photos from one of the highest vantage points on campus.

It's been pretty nifty. Except the part where I felt scalped on my textbooks (and I bought used).

And this was in the news...
http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps...608230331/1002
In other business Tuesday night, the planning board heard an informal proposal for 48 condominiums along Cliff Street.

Developer Mauro Marinelli of Primary Developers, Inc. had originally received approval to build affordable housing on a 12-acre lot just north of the professional building at 821 Cliff St. When federal funding was given to a comparable project farther north off Route 96, Marinelli said he decided to regroup.

After hearing comments from realtors and others suggesting there is a demand for condominiums in the city, he decided to increase the available parking on the site and reduce the number of units. The project went from 63 units with 64 spaces to the newly proposed 48 units with 93 spaces. The new proposal would keep the disturbed area at just under two acres and move the units farther away from the street.

The lot is on a steep grade, something the planning board asked Marinelli to keep in mind as he prepares documents to seek formal approval. Another important consideration, according to John Schroeder, chair of the planning board, will be the project's landscaping plan, which has yet to be developed.

Marinelli said he hopes to begin construction in April.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2006, 11:10 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Hot damn, a forumer in Ithaca.

Sounds like you're OK for now. And access to the top of Bradfield Hall, very cool. I know once the classes get rolling you're going to be busy. And of course walking around campus in the winter will not be fun. But I think you're going to enjoythis life changing 4 years.

btw, if you ever get near 708 E. Buffalo (near Eddy street) say hi to the old homestead for me.

I saw the article about the Marinelli project. Hope its got a few floors. Besides the Chesnut public housing project, not much sticks out on West hill.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2006, 2:48 PM
Missing the Gorges

Six Mile Creek Center project moves forward

http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps...608300328/1002

Ex, do you know what proposed high-rise apartment building this would be referring to?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2006, 6:48 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Yeah, I saw this article. I'll try to find the project it's refering to, but hi-rise is a relative term. No final plans (or even preliminary) yet. I suspect it's the 6 to 8 story range.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2006, 10:19 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Hey Vis, there was an article in The Cornell Sun about this project. I think it was in a june issue. I can't get in to the Sun site right now. The reporter was Jessica DiNapoli. Maybe you can find it.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 9:43 PM
Missing the Gorges

I checked some of the June 06' papers, but I must've missed it, because you definitely have the reporter who writes about dvelopments for the paper. i'll take a closer look over the weekend.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 1:38 AM
Missing the Gorges

Life Sciences Building under consturction

Also, although I was out wirh the Runners' Club, I noticed that the Gateway Apartment "tower" under construction appears to be up at the sixth (and final?) floor, but it's just a concrete shell at the moment. Nice to see some more density near downtown Ithaca though.

Random Ithaca pics

Old Posted Sep 2, 2006, 1:45 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Oh my. A forumer in Ithaca to take pics and update. maybe I've died and gone to heaven (though I know that ain't gonna happen).

That 1st pic is cool, some Cornell density there, eh Vis? Good to hear the Gateway Commons is well on its way. Yeah, it's only 6 stories, but its position should nicely fill in the bend at Green & State sts. Thanks Vis, look forward to more.

btw, outside of the weather, how do ya like the place so far?

Last edited by Ex-Ithacan; Sep 2, 2006 at 5:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2006, 11:45 PM
Missing the Gorges

What's that? More pics you say?

now, is the midrise apartment building going here...

or here?

Oh, funny story. I was walking over the Stwart Avenue bridge with umbrella in hand when a TCAT passed by. My umbrella was caught by the sheer force of the air and collapsed, blowing me backwards. Funny, how powerful downdrafts can be. Luckily, I only hit the guardrails.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2006, 12:02 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Vis, you rascal, that's the first construction pic of the Gateway Commons I've seen. Super, thanks.

The area in the second pic is where phase 2 of Cayuga Green is going:
http://theithacajournal.com/apps/pbc...607260329/1002

The other proposed (at least the one in the Cornell Sun last June) is suppose to go next to the Aurora Street bridge over Green Street. Not sure how that would work out, but I'm all for it. The last open area may get an apartment building, but will have to wait until the Green Street garage is renovated.

btw, I can't wait to see the view from atop the Cayuga Green garage you were on.
Thanks man.
Gotta be careful when ya walk over them gorges, eh?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2006, 2:32 AM
Rachacha rez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan
Uh-oh, Ithaca's down to one public bowling center:

http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps...608220328/1002

Well, the county is down to 2, with the other one being out in Groton. Small world, the former owner of the Drome was my cousins' stepfather.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2006, 2:34 AM
Rachacha rez

Quote:
The other proposed (at least the one in the Cornell Sun last June) is suppose to go next to the Aurora Street bridge over Green Street. Not sure how that would work out, but I'm all for it. The last open area may get an apartment building, but will have to wait until the Green Street garage is renovated.

btw, I can't wait to see the view from atop the Cayuga Green garage you were on.
Thanks man.
Gotta be careful when ya walk over them gorges, eh?
I was wondering that myself when I was up there last week. Were they going to tear down part of the oter building to do that, or were there only going to be 20 or so apartments and 2 to 3 thousand square feet of space, since that's a pretty tight fit.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2006, 2:34 AM
Old Fart Forumer

^^ Is the one in Dryden closed too?

Last edited by Ex-Ithacan; Sep 4, 2006 at 2:49 AM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2006, 3:41 AM
Missing the Gorges

Oh, I didn't take a picture of it, but there were flyers to the front of the (Green) garage saying that it would be closed for major renovations starting September 1st. Renovations to Clinton House were well underway...

The Rothschild Building renovations were also well underway (bedecked with Tom Suozzi campaign ads, I might add), and I came across this for a five-story box building at 200 Buffalo Street:

the building, for reference:

Now, in case you're wondering, I am putting my school activities first (Vis is being a good little Cornellian). I just happened to have some free time today for a photo op.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2006, 3:45 AM
Old Fart Forumer

I had heard that the Clinton House renovations were underway. I think the Rothchilds bldg is getting into the swing of things to set up for future incubator duties for smaller companies. The last pic is a bldg that replaced the old YMCA about 35 years ago. Probably needs a renovation to keep up with the newer bldgs downtown. Thanks for the additional pics Vis. It's almost like being back in old Ithaca.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2006, 11:59 PM
Rachacha rez

The building on Buffalo St is also where the Sciencenter got started.It's amazing that a bunch of exhibits in a large room on the first floor of that building is related to the Sciencenter that we know today.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 12:02 AM
Rachacha rez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan
^^ Is the one in Dryden closed too?
Yep, I was out there on Wednesday night and there was a for rent sign on the door and all the lights were out. On the subject of Dryden, the Burger King has been replaced with a Dunkin Donuts (The only one in the County for the time being) and there is a Kinney Drugs being built next to it in replacing the building that for a long time had Video Shack and several other businesses. DOwntown Dryden is looking glum, though, and I should have gone up to TC3 to take some pictures but wasn't thinking about it at the time.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 4:00 AM
Missing the Gorges

Apropos, were you up here visiting whit?

Meanwhile...

http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps...609040319/1002

Study shows need for affordable housing
By Andrew Tutino
Journal Staff

ITHACA — Government officials said they are finally able to put numbers with prior educated guesses about the lack of affordable housing in Tompkins County after the release last month of a new housing study.

A study conducted by the Vermont-based Economics & Policy Resources Inc. (EPR) shows that Tompkins County will need to build more than 2,500 affordable housing units between now and 2014 to meet the increasing demand spurred by a relatively stable economy that continues to draw people to the area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Affordable housing units are defined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development as an owner-occupied house that pays no more than 30 percent of the household's gross income on mortgage payments, utilities, taxes and insurance. For renters, the number is no more than 30 percent of gross household income being spent on rent and utilities.

According to the study, a household would need to earn $55,880 on average to afford a median-priced, single-family home in 2004 (about $140,000). For those living near the city and town of Ithaca, the numbers are higher.
“No study is perfect,” said Martha Robertson, a member of the Tompkins County Legislature who has been active in housing issues. “But it puts a lot of meat on the bones for how much of a need Tompkins County has for lower-cost and affordable homes.”

Jeffrey B. Carr, EPR president, said the situation in Tompkins rivals those in commuter blocks north of the New York City metropolitan area. Carr said another demand identified through the survey was housing that may interest those who commute from outside the county's borders.

“If I was a developer, that represented a potential source for demand I could potentially meet,” he said. “They think housing prices are high in Tompkins County and see a greater value for their housing dollar outside of the county right now.”

The question facing government and private-sector developers is what to do about the problem. Housing units are being added in the county but not at the affordable level rate needed to meet demand.

“I think people are recognizing this is a key community issue,” said Edward Marx, the commissioner of the Tompkins County Planning Department, which worked closely with the consultant for the study. “We have a real target to shoot for, and I believe many community leaders are mobilizing around this issue.”

The Planning Department has begun researching ordinances that could make it friendly for developers to propose housing developments that include units with prices in the affordable range.

Also, Marx said, a renter study is already under way as well as talk of creating some type of community land trust that could serve as locations for housing developments. Interested developers in the past have had a hard time finding land to build affordable housing developments.

All of those ideas are recommendations forwarded to the county by EPR in the study, including one about exploring the possibility of offering developers tax abatements on housing developments that include affordable units, though the legality of those abatements and the issue of fairness for other developers and existing landlords who would not get abatements is an issue.

“There have been success stories,” Marx said. “I think no single model will be exactly what we have to do here because our community is unique. I think the one thing that is very important is to not get too far behind on this issue.”

Hmm...comments, anybody?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 10:29 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whit_x
The building on Buffalo St is also where the Sciencenter got started.It's amazing that a bunch of exhibits in a large room on the first floor of that building is related to the Sciencenter that we know today.
I didn't know that.

And it's a shame about the bowling alley in Dryden, I took a PE class there while at TC3. And 20 lashes with a wet noodle for no TC3 (and Dryden) pics whit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast