HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Stavanger Drive traffic solutions en route: Councilor

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...affic-315.html

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 7:01 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Building more roads and stores is a solution? I can see some access points being added would help in the short term, but maybe too much is just concentrated in one area.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 8:17 PM

What would traffic look like at the Avalon Mall if you had to get in your car and drive every time you left one store and went to another? That's the root of the problem, and as long as they build power centers, it won't go away.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedSpecial View Post
What would traffic look like at the Avalon Mall if you had to get in your car and drive every time you left one store and went to another? That's the root of the problem, and as long as they build power centers, it won't go away.
Pretty much nailed it. These centres are designed to be regional, drawing large numbers of visitors from a long distance and are not all condusive to walking from one store to another. The only one I've seen that has some good planning is that one near Halifax, we've talked about it on here before but I can't remember its name.

The area would have functioned better, I think, if Stavanger and Aberdeen had acted purely as collector roads with a single service road inside each large block. For example, have a road that goes off of Stavanger where the Best Buy/Montanas entrance is and then run east behind the old Golf & Gear building, in front of Dominion through the Pets Unlimited building and onto Aberdeen with parking lots between the service road and Stavanger. Foot traffic crossing the road to reach the stores would keep traffic slowed and ensure that any through traffic in the area would stick to Stavanger and Aberdeen. A similar one could have run along the opposite side if Staples, Future Shop, etc... had been turned to face the street instead of sideways. You could add a couple of right turn only exits and entrances along the way to keep things flowing.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 4:55 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...65676035_o.jpg

The condos at Airports Heights certainly went up quickly. Should be nice when finished.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 1:33 PM

If you look at it coming up portugal cove road, you will see they have most of the siding finished on one side, and most of the shingling done as well.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 1:34 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post

The condos at Airports Heights certainly went up quickly. Should be nice when finished.
^ That's a different looking kind of building, it may look ok as long as they don't just cover it with drab plain vinyl siding.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
^ That's a different looking kind of building, it may look ok as long as they don't just cover it with drab plain vinyl siding.
That's just the side of the building. It faces the other way. It's going to be dark brown siding, with orange brick pillars going up the balconies. You can't see most of the building in the picture though

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 10:01 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedSpecial View Post
Stop the presses! This man just solved the problem! If only others understood.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Stop the presses! This man just solved the problem! If only others understood.
amen to that

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:

Those are some expensive ass condos hahah Starting prices are mid 400,000's upwards to 3/4's of a million dollars!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 12:30 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

For that part of town? Yech...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwspencer38 View Post
Those are some expensive ass condos hahah Starting prices are mid 400,000's upwards to 3/4's of a million dollars!
What???? Who in their right mind would pay that much for a condo in airport heights?! I live up here and it's nothing special and the road these condos are located on is always dirty and gross. I don't see how they can charge so much for such an undesirable location. I mean you're close to the airport, that's about it. It neighbours a field with a refrigeration shack, a few small family homes, and a littered boggy hole. It's not exactly an upscale neighbourhood by any means (especially on this particular stretch of road). When they started building, I assumed it would be an apartment building. I was kinda puzzled when I heard "Luxury condos" Now hearing the prices, I'm just baffled! haha, I just don't know why anyone would by a 750k condo in this location.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
What???? Who in their right mind would pay that much for a condo in airport heights?! I live up here and it's nothing special and the road these condos are located on is always dirty and gross. I don't see how they can charge so much for such an undesirable location. I mean you're close to the airport, that's about it. It neighbours a field with a refrigeration shack, a few small family homes, and a littered boggy hole. It's not exactly an upscale neighbourhood by any means (especially on this particular stretch of road). When they started building, I assumed it would be an apartment building. I was kinda puzzled when I heard "Luxury condos" Now hearing the prices, I'm just baffled! haha, I just don't know why anyone would by a 750k condo in this location.
I think this is proof that housing prices are getting out of hand in the region - I smell real estate greed here. I mean, 400-500k for a luxury condo in downtown sounds reasonable, but in Airport Heights? Come on!!!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 3:04 PM

Gibraltar has built two similar (identical..?) condo developments in the east end and both have sold pretty well. One is in a desirable area (Mount Cashel and New Cove Rd), the other not so (Logy Bay Rd and ORR, across from an industrial park and within easy view of the landfill). We'll see how this one works out.

My in-laws have a condo in the one at Mount Cashel, it's real nice inside.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 4:08 PM

Honestly I think that price is straight retarded for Airport Heights, but then again people are paying 350-500k for houses in Kenmount Terrace so who knows.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 4:54 PM

Here is a link to a better view of what the finished condos will look like at Airport Heights.

http://www.livebetterhere.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 5:00 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...02846474_n.jpg

Saw this new condo development proposed for the east end at Clovelly Golf Course.
Here is link to the website showing more details.

http://www.thegreensatclovelly.com

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 5:05 PM

Quote:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...02846474_n.jpg

Saw this new condo development proposed for the east end at Clovelly Golf Course.
Here is link to the website showing more details.

http://www.thegreensatclovelly.com
oh wow those look nice much nicer than the typical condos ...

They are only four floors however I'd rather attractive 4 floor condos out that far out than single detached houses

I'll post some of the pictures here from the link:

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Here is a link to a better view of what the finished condos will look like at Airport Heights.

http://www.livebetterhere.ca
The common area photos are of the Mount Cashel / New Cove building.
The layouts look to be the same as well, except my aging in-laws' place is a bit less modern looking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's