HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 6:14 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Just giving this a quick bump. I've been doing a pile of work down in Pleasantville over the past month, and I just wanted to point out how much change has occurred to Bennett House since I've been down there. Windows, doors, balconies, parking lot cleared out, curb installed, and the exterior is beginning to come together. I'm going to try to remember to take my camera down tomorrow, but if you get a chance check it out. Its coming together very nicely, as are the other development in Pleasantville (the affordable housing structure behind Bennett House has also taken shape, and the detached condos are trucking along).

Further, I know two more parcels of land have been sold down there. One is zoned for single, detached houses (around 6 - 8 I believe, as would be seen in most St. John's subdivisions). The other parcel will likely have another apartment / condo complex similar to Bennett, and was actually purchased by the same developer.

I'm really enjoying watching that neighborhood take shape!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Just giving this a quick bump. I've been doing a pile of work down in Pleasantville over the past month, and I just wanted to point out how much change has occurred to Bennett House since I've been down there. Windows, doors, balconies, parking lot cleared out, curb installed, and the exterior is beginning to come together. I'm going to try to remember to take my camera down tomorrow, but if you get a chance check it out. Its coming together very nicely, as are the other development in Pleasantville (the affordable housing structure behind Bennett House has also taken shape, and the detached condos are trucking along).

Further, I know two more parcels of land have been sold down there. One is zoned for single, detached houses (around 6 - 8 I believe, as would be seen in most St. John's subdivisions). The other parcel will likely have another apartment / condo complex similar to Bennett, and was actually purchased by the same developer.

I'm really enjoying watching that neighborhood take shape!
I also read from the Canada Lands Company that the master plan calls for two 10 story apartment buildings. Do you have any information, which can be disclosed of course, regarding this?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 9:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Whoa, I haven't updated this one since October!

October 13, 2012

St. John's and Pleasantville from White Hills by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Pleasantville from White Hills by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

This is what all the apartment buildings used to look like. They were well-maintained by the Americans but neglected once the Canadian government took them over:

Pleasantville's Neglected Past by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

And here is how many of them look now:

Pleasantville Apartments by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Bennett House in Pleasantville by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Pleasantville Apartments by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Pleasantville Homes by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

October 18, 2012

Pleasantville by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

November 3, 2012

Pleasantville by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

November 4, 2012

Downtown East End and Pleasantville by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

And, for Copes:

November 7, 2012

Bennett House by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 12:01 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I also read from the Canada Lands Company that the master plan calls for two 10 story apartment buildings. Do you have any information, which can be disclosed of course, regarding this?
Sure do.

http://www.clc.ca/sites/default/files/site_plan_1.pdf

Bordering Hole #12 of Bally Haly.

Great pics Signal.

The plan has changed a bit of course. The layout of the "single family cottages" has changed, obviously with one shared parking lot and a different lot layout. The "mixed use commercial" along east drive must be being moved, as currently Bennett House and the Affordable Housing Complex are there (and that is the under-construction wooden building behind Bennett btw, Affordable Housing). I believe Killam (who is building Bennett House) has also purchased the land along St. John's Place, between the trail (on the site plan) and St. John's Place itself. The land extends down to the single detached homes (as those lots are also for sale as a parcel) and up into the parking lot. That parcel calls for a "multi-unit building" and I have heard rumors that they will be putting a second apartment into Pleasantville, so it makes sense.

Pleasantville is going to be great though. Its a fantastic mix of affordable housing, commerical space, detached and semi-detached homes, parks and even a few tall buildings (by St. John's standards anyway). A real mixed-use neighborhood. I can't wait to move in!

Oh and Signal, upon careful examination I think my car may have made it into one of your pictures.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Sure do.

http://www.clc.ca/sites/default/files/site_plan_1.pdf

Bordering Hole #12 of Bally Haly.

Great pics Signal.

The plan has changed a bit of course. The layout of the "single family cottages" has changed, obviously with one shared parking lot and a different lot layout. The "mixed use commercial" along east drive must be being moved, as currently Bennett House and the Affordable Housing Complex are there (and that is the under-construction wooden building behind Bennett btw, Affordable Housing). I believe Killam (who is building Bennett House) has also purchased the land along St. John's Place, between the trail (on the site plan) and St. John's Place itself. The land extends down to the single detached homes (as those lots are also for sale as a parcel) and up into the parking lot. That parcel calls for a "multi-unit building" and I have heard rumors that they will be putting a second apartment into Pleasantville, so it makes sense.

Pleasantville is going to be great though. Its a fantastic mix of affordable housing, commerical space, detached and semi-detached homes, parks and even a few tall buildings (by St. John's standards anyway). A real mixed-use neighborhood. I can't wait to move in!

Oh and Signal, upon careful examination I think my car may have made it into one of your pictures.
Thanks for the info copes. Sounds like this development is coming along well!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 8:11 PM

New office building seems almost complete on Majors Path. Nice looking building.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...30570231_o.jpg

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 8:15 PM

The condos are going up fast at the old Nova Recycling in Airport Heights.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...04260802_o.jpg

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
The condos are going up fast at the old Nova Recycling in Airport Heights.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...04260802_o.jpg
Sweet, thanks for the updates!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 7:08 PM

Torbay Residents Upset with Work

Quote:
Residents of Torbay will gather tomorrow morning at 9:45 at the intersection of Torbay Road and Howlett's Avenue to bring attention to a residential project they say is ruining the neighbourhood. A local resident is using up to 1500 loads of soil from a construction site to fill in land behind his property. Councillor and local resident Ralph Tapper says council issued a stop work order on the project, but it was ignored because there are no formal regulations on the town's books preventing that kind of work from taking place. Tapper says they have now drafted new regulations which they hope to have passed at the next council meeting.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...28359&latest=1

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 7:09 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Why would there be a need to ban such development? Won't it be grassed over and forgotten in just a season or two?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 11:34 PM

Bit of activity down on East White Hills Road. There is a large portion of land cleared across from A1 automotive for a mulit-lot industrial development and a new buiding is going up across from PF Collins. Sorry I don't have any pictures, but just thought I'd share this and give this thread a bump.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 9:43 PM

Was out taking some pics today in the east end. Steel is finally going up for the new bank next to Dominion on Stavanger.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...69257890_n.jpg

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 9:46 PM

Steel is also up for the other bank that is going between Swiss Chalet and Buck or Two on Aberdeen. Not sure which bank this is going to be when finished though. I think TD is the one going next to Dominion on Stavanger.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...93993295_n.jpg

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 10:06 PM

Here is an updated photo of the condos being built on the old Nova Recycling property in Airport Heights just off of Portugal Cove Road and opposite Majors Path.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...84958476_n.jpg

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 10:05 PM

I was up to the airport today and took a couple quick pics of the new access road.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 10:17 PM

Also after seeing the new light poles at the airport I noticed when driving around Quidi Vidi they installed some new ones in Pleasantville. Nothing spectacular but nice to see a little more design rather then the usual metal or wooden poles.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 10:41 PM

A couple more while I was driving around Pleasantville today.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 11:36 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Awesome! The buildings are really coming along!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
Also after seeing the new light poles at the airport I noticed when driving around Quidi Vidi they installed some new ones in Pleasantville. Nothing spectacular but nice to see a little more design rather then the usual metal or wooden poles.
Those were the first thing I noticed.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 12:48 AM
BANNED

Are we missing something from those photos from Pleasantville photos....Where are the "modern monstrosities that will destroy our culture here in the village" being built at?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's