HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 11:39 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SAN ANTONIO │ Hotel Sul Fiume │ 204 FT │ 17 FLOORS │ Proposed

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 7:43 PM
Meh

Sweet. That one kind of came out of nowhere, no? It's a decent looking design, too, and something a bit different for San Antonio.

It's kind of a shame about the existing building there. I kind of like the architecture of it. It's good classic 60s style architecture.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 7:12 PM

I love it. This is great! This area is slowly becoming a unique downtown within a downtown. I cannot wait for all these projects to be finished.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Sweet. That one kind of came out of nowhere, no? It's a decent looking design, too, and something a bit different for San Antonio.

It's kind of a shame about the existing building there. I kind of like the architecture of it. It's good classic 60s style architecture.
The HDRC wants them to preserve the facade.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 5:03 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
The HDRC wants them to preserve the facade.
That's good to know. I like the whole building, though. I love that 60s funk that architecture had. I know it isn't historic, but it's an interesting piece anyway.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 1:56 PM

Given the area, I am surprised something like this will be built. It's fitting and gives life to the area. Of concern, however, is the number of hotels coming into existence over the next few months - years that do not bolster on-site parking for guests. Nevertheless, I like the design, I like how they are going to fill in that space, I like that attention is finally being given to areas severely underdeveloped.

Still, the issue is significant- not enough parking with addition of new hotels and office space. With regard to downtown San Antonio getting more hotels - this is a Frey good thing. Yes, there are a lot of hotels (and too many motels), but not enough for the middle to upper crest to stay in. San Antonio downtown has too few luxury or middle tier hotels. Families get to go on vacation often but once a year. They don't want to stay at a motel 6 or Red Roof Inn, especially if they are wanting to stay downtown.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:45 PM

No parking structure, and who is Mr. Byron?

We at Virtual Builders Exchange just posted on article on this project (Sul Fiume, btw, is Italian for 'on the river'.)
The HDRC will discuss the project at its Wednesday meeting. Curious to see who shows up to represent the Archdiocese. Not a traditional developer partnership. The Archdiocese will contract a ground lease with SMS-SAR Hospitality LLC, which appears to be a partnership between the Missionary Oblates and one Anthony Byron. Does anyone know who that is? Architect is from San Francisco; maybe that's a clue. The concept has no parking structure. The Hilton under construction at St. Mary's & Commerce is also sans parking. That's a lot of valet parking in a concentrated area. The article:
San Antonio Archdiocese Seeks Design Concept Approval on Downtown Hotel

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Given the area, I am surprised something like this will be built. It's fitting and gives life to the area. Of concern, however, is the number of hotels coming into existence over the next few months - years that do not bolster on-site parking for guests. Nevertheless, I like the design, I like how they are going to fill in that space, I like that attention is finally being given to areas severely underdeveloped.

Still, the issue is significant- not enough parking with addition of new hotels and office space. With regard to downtown San Antonio getting more hotels - this is a Frey good thing. Yes, there are a lot of hotels (and too many motels), but not enough for the middle to upper crest to stay in. San Antonio downtown has too few luxury or middle tier hotels. Families get to go on vacation often but once a year. They don't want to stay at a motel 6 or Red Roof Inn, especially if they are wanting to stay downtown.
When it comes to good urban environments, a shortage of parking isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 4:22 AM

Quote:
When it comes to good urban environments, a shortage of parking isn't a bug, it's a feature.
Indeed. Plus, in 10 years time there will likely be some form of autonomous driving run by Uber, Lyft, and the like that will render parking spots a moot point.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 12:42 PM
JACKinBeantown

The Riverwalk level is nice. The rest of the building would fit nicely on 410 near the airport. But it's not ugly.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 1:34 PM

I doubt this is the final design. HDRC did not recommend approval on account of a few of the design elements including the facade and the glass curtain. I think the final design will blend in much better but still retain a bit of a modern look.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:11 PM

The rectory looks like a parking garage at first glance. No need to keep it.

It's also interesting that the Archdiocese is more modern and forward looking than the HDRC.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
The rectory looks like a parking garage at first glance. No need to keep it.

It's also interesting that the Archdiocese is more modern and forward looking than the HDRC.
It is not the function of the HDRC to be modern or forward looking.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
It is not the function of the HDRC to be modern or forward looking.
Wondered when someone would point this out. Preserving History is one thing, or even cohesiveness in an area, but it is quite another to clutch at pearls when faced with anything that might be considered modern.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 9:26 PM
JACKinBeantown

Modern doesn't necessarily equal good. Frost Tower is modern and good. This building looks modern (for 1987) but it also looks kinda average. San Antonio deserves better.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Wondered when someone would point this out. Preserving History is one thing, or even cohesiveness in an area, but it is quite another to clutch at pearls when faced with anything that might be considered modern.
But that’s not at all what is happening here. Again, HDRC isn’t against modern or glass or anything that people for whatever reason still seem to misunderstand. The HDRC isn’t against what people seem to genuinely believe they’re against.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Modern doesn't necessarily equal good. Frost Tower is modern and good. This building looks modern (for 1987) but it also looks kinda average. San Antonio deserves better.
I agree. I kinda dig the glass curtain. The other side bores the hell out of me.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
But that’s not at all what is happening here. Again, HDRC isn’t against modern or glass or anything that people for whatever reason still seem to misunderstand. The HDRC isn’t against what people seem to genuinely believe they’re against.
You posted that they had a problem with the glass curtain. That's the best aspect of this project.

It could be better, yes. but at some point, we have to resolve ourselves that there will eventually be a mix of Historic and modern DT. Even on the same block.

And that's not a bad thing.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
You posted that they had a problem with the glass curtain. That's the best aspect of this project.

It could be better, yes. but at some point, we have to resolve ourselves that there will eventually be a mix of Historic and modern DT. Even on the same block.

And that's not a bad thing.
Yes, they have an issue with the glass curtain because it’s doesn’t do a well enough job blending in with the surrounding buildings. Again, the HDRC isn’t against glass or modern or any of that. They’re not just haphazardly throwing in personal preferences. They’re following a set of rules and guidelines for specific zoning designs.

Design is subjective, glass for the sake of glass doesn’t always make for a visually appealing building design. If a better design comes from the HDRC recommendations, awesome. I doubt it’ll get worse tbh.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 12:38 AM

I agree that glass isn't everything for it to look nice but we need it. We have so many building that don't have much glass that it will look nice if we had buildings with glass to mix in. The glass curtain looks great but other side is lacking, I would gladly give up glass on one side to get some on the other

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio