HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #54821  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 6:45 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,733
.
Houswife shows off her lemons.



old file of ebay pics

Across the street, on the other side of the tall fence, you can see a Star Cash Grocery Store.




Let's take a closer look at her lemons the grocery store.


detail


Somewhere in my files I have similar photograph that, if I remember correctly, shows a woman with a little boy.. .I believe I posted that photo but I haven't been able to find it again

I thought the store stood alone but now, with this enlargement, I see a row of windows next door.
.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 1, 2020 at 7:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54822  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 9:36 PM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 917


e_r, the 1920 City Directory has . . .



A couple of years later, the stock of a grocery store of another name is being auctioned off at that address:


LA Times, 6/4/1922
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54823  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 12:11 AM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I'm a bit surprised the term "taxi dancer" was still in the L. A. Times' lexicon in the 1969. I always thought taxi dancers were from a much earlier era like the 1920s and 1930s.
I always thought the same, e_r - imagine my surprise when I found out that taxi dancing clubs still exist in downtown to this day!

Here are a few I know about:

4th Street, near the corner of Broadway:


https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0496...2!8i6656?hl=en

No markings on this one, but it is a taxi dancing club. I know because I wandered in one night after having drinks at the Golden Gopher. 8th Street, by Olive:


https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0449...4!8i8192?hl=en

Another place I wandered into just to see what it was. Pay lots of money to sit and talk to girls. Are you kidding me? I took a pass on that adventure. Broadway between 12th and Pico:


https://www.google.com/maps/place/90...4d-118.2581668

Club Galaxy at Olive and 9th (appears to be gone in most recent Google view):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/90...4d-118.2581668

I don't really understand the appeal of these places. I mean, sure, if you're on shore leave during WWII, and only have the weekend, haven't seen a girl in months, and you want to dance with a pretty girl, I get it.

By why would anyone go to such a place now?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54824  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 1:21 AM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
What does rabbit taste like? Any answer except "just like chicken" is Ok. I've never had it but am curious to try it. Also never had venison or goat or horse except possibly in a burger that had a different flavor. I've also never eaten grasshoppers or crickets or any other insects but they are popular in some cultures. I do wish people would refrain from eating bats--look at all the problems that has caused.
Hey thanks CaliNative..........
Rabbit tastes kinda bland.....people use all kinds of spices to flavor it.

Venison has a pungent wild taste, its dark red in color....no fat. Horse meat is kinda sweet, also no fat. Horse is often called Cheval. Horse meat for humans is not legal in all states. Bison is like beef...very nice muscle meat....lean. Goat I think is quite tasty. Its great in Mexican food.

Always interesting to discuss unusual food.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54825  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 2:19 PM
transitfan transitfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post

Another place I wandered into just to see what it was. Pay lots of money to sit and talk to girls. Are you kidding me? I took a pass on that adventure. Broadway between 12th and Pico:


https://www.google.com/maps/place/90...4d-118.2581668
When I got my first job at the USC Bookstore in June 1977, I worked with a girl who danced at that club in the evenings. I was kinda interested in her, so I considered going one night to see her but I never did. She got laid off from the bookstore job after a month, so that was pretty much the end of that. Amazing that it is still around, 43 years later.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54826  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 3:05 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,733
Here is another intriguing Edward Weston photograph.

The title is "Stacked Boat" c.1939


At first I passed over the generically named thumbnail but then I noticed the odd shape of the "boats" and realized they were gondolas!
My insane vivid imagination made me think the gondolas might be remnants from the old tourist canals in Venice (the California one)



getty

But the information with the photograph describes the image as the MGM Back-Lot. (the back-lot was long gone by the time I worked at MGM
but I knew where it was located. I don't remember any oil wells being that close to the site)

At first I was disappointed the boat were studio props but perhaps MGM purchased them from whomever owned the gondolas in Venice
(was it Abbot Kinney?)



As is often the case: I can't (re)locate the photograph in the Getty collection but luckily I took a screengrab of the information. (shown BELOW)


getty / note the three different dates.




As a reminder: I recently posted a Weston photograph of half a cabin on the Paramount Back-Lot. . . .Here

.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 1, 2020 at 7:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54827  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:05 PM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by transitfan View Post
When I got my first job at the USC Bookstore in June 1977, I worked with a girl who danced at that club in the evenings. I was kinda interested in her, so I considered going one night to see her but I never did. She got laid off from the bookstore job after a month, so that was pretty much the end of that. Amazing that it is still around, 43 years later.
One of my ex-girlfriends worked there, too. This would be in the late '90s, about five years after we dated.

She didn't last long. She was a brunette, and very pretty - but she said that the place was filled with Japanese businessmen who only wanted to talk to a blonde!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54828  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 11:44 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I'm a bit surprised the term "taxi dancer" was still in the L. A. Times' lexicon in the 1969. ... I always thought taxi dancers were from a much earlier era like the 1920s and 1930s.
.

This information from Wikipedia is from two articles, one in the New York Times and the other in L.A. Weekly:

There remain a handful of nightclubs in the United States, particularly in the cities of New York and Los Angeles, where an individual can pay to dance with a female dance hostess. Usually these modern clubs forgo the use of the ticket-a-dance system, and instead have time-clocks and punch-cards that allow a patron to pay for the dancer's time by the hour. Some of these dance clubs operate in buildings where taxi dancing was done in the early 20th century. No longer called taxi-dance halls, these latter-day establishments are now called hostess clubs.


It's not a taxi dancer place, but I don't recall ever seeing The Body Shop at 8250 Sunset Blvd. mentioned before on NLA. It was a Burlesque house in the 1950's and turned into a strip club in the 1960's and is still there.

The venue appears in several B-movies including Right Hand of the Devil (1963) and the Candy Tangerine Man (1975). Sally Rand stripped there in the early 1960's and it is where Tura Santana, the iconic star of Russ Meyer’s Faster Pussycat Kill Kill (1965), was discovered.

Some screen grabs and ads etc. are at this link, but nothing is dated:
https://oldshowbiz.tumblr.com/tagged/the-Body-Shop

1973:
Hollywood Photographs

2014:
WeHoVille

There was a fire there in the early hours of the morning in Dec. 2008:

More pics and/or info:
https://walkingweho.wordpress.com/20...-up-in-flames/
or
https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...-broke-ou.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54829  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:21 AM
Noir_Noir Noir_Noir is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.
Houswife shows off her lemons.



old file of ebay pics

Across the street, on the other side of the tall fence, you can see a Star Cash Grocery Store.


Somewhere in my files I have similar photograph that, if I remember correctly, shows the same lady with her little boy....(perhaps I posted that photo) . . .it all seems vaguely familiar.

.


The other picture which you mentioned with the Star Cash Grocery in it.



Ebay


The store close up.





I found this ad for a Star Cash Grocery opening in San Pedro in 1921.



San Pedro Daily News 6 April 1921



133 S. Grand Ave. in the best unobstructed view from recent years.



GSV


Not overly promising on a first quick view ... but then I remembered a lesson from Lwize last week on remodeled facades and such like.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=54783


Could the Star Cash Grocery from the 1920's be the same building at 133 S. Grand these days.


Stitching together the old Star Cash store sign level from pieces of the two pictures.





The building is not symmetrical. That off-center block on top to the right must be hiding something. This maybe?






The building permits I could find don't detail a removed facade or the changes to the windows.


Returning to the picture of the Woman and Boy at the steps across the street, I scouted around and came up with this.





Steps leading up to a side door. Not as impressive as the old ones I grant you ... but steps nonetheless.


This is what it would have looked like in a 1927 aerial. Woman and Boy at the steps of 598 West 2nd Street. Lemon Girl is in the garden on the side of the house and the Star Cash Grocery now open across the street.



mil.library.ucsb.edu


What do ya think? Stretching it ... or a maybe.

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Jul 1, 2020 at 6:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54830  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 6:17 AM
BDiH BDiH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 184
1973:
Hollywood Photographs

2014:
WeHoVille

There was a fire there in the early hours of the morning in Dec. 2008:

More pics and/or info:
https://walkingweho.wordpress.com/20...-up-in-flames/
or
https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...-broke-ou.html[/QUOTE]

The interior was shown in Miss Melody Jones, released in 1972.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068957/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54831  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 6:39 AM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
The other picture which you mentioned with the Star Cash Grocery in it.



Ebay


The store close up.





I found this ad for a Star Cash Grocery opening in San Pedro in 1921.



San Pedro Daily News 6 April 1921



133 S. Grand Ave. in the best unobstructed view from recent years.



GSV


Not overly promising on a first quick view ... but then I remembered a lesson from Lwize last week on remodeled facades and such like.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=54783


Could the Star Cash Grocery from the 1920's be the same building at 133 S. Grand these days.


Stitching together the old Star Cash store sign level from pieces of the two pictures.





The building is not symmetrical. That off-center block on top to the right must be hiding something. This maybe?






The building permits I could find don't detail a removed facade or the changes to the windows.


Returning to the picture of the Woman and Boy at the steps across the street, I scouted around and came up with this.





Steps leading up to a side door. Not as impressive as the old ones I grant you ... but steps nonetheless.


This is what it would have looked like in a 1927 aerial. Woman and Boy at the steps of 598 West 2nd Street. Lemon Girl is in the garden on the side of the house and the Star Cash Grocery now open across the street.



mil.library.ucsb.edu


What do ya think? Stretching it ... or a maybe.
I'd say you nailed it Noir. That old house had a fake front on it when it was a grocery store.....very common then. Even the empty lot to the left has the old dirt paths across the lot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54832  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 6:52 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,733
.
Noir Noir, I believe it's the same building!

You convinced me with these last two images.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post





Steps leading up to a side door. Not as impressive as the old ones I grant you ... but steps nonetheless.


This is what it would have looked like in a 1927 aerial. Woman and Boy at the steps of 598 West 2nd Street. Lemon Girl is in the garden on the side of the house
and the Star Cash Grocery now open across the street.



mil.library.ucsb.edu


What do ya think? Stretching it ... or a maybe.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

. . . . . . . . . . . Fantastic sleuthing Noir Noir. ......You are hereby awarded one of these rarely given worshipping dudes - - >...



Also, the former grocery store/gray building is flush with the sidewalk while its residencial neighbors are set back a bit farther from the street.




.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54833  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 7:46 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 14,733
.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .UP Periscope.


Starlet Christine Larson is uneasy about her neighbor's Do-It-Yourself periscope.


Old File / found on ebay






. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Herbert. Herbert. Herbert. tsk tsk tsk



There's no mention of an address but I located a clue!. . .Christine Larson live on North Beverly Glen. (see BELOW)


from some book

Now all we need is a street number.... Why do I need the street number?

. . .because I want to drive the googlemobile over to her former house and see if Herbert's old periscope is still UP.
next door.


.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 1, 2020 at 8:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54834  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 9:23 AM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,374
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitfan View Post
When I got my first job at the USC Bookstore in June 1977, I worked with a girl who danced at that club in the evenings. I was kinda interested in her, so I considered going one night to see her but I never did. She got laid off from the bookstore job after a month, so that was pretty much the end of that. Amazing that it is still around, 43 years later.
I missed opportunities like that as well. Carpe diem. Seize the day. Shyness is a curse.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54835  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 10:49 AM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,705

Old File / found on ebay

Never stand on a ladder like that. A friend of mine did and she spent a month in the hospital.....and years in recovery with badly broken leg bones.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54836  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 12:17 PM
GaylordWilshire's Avatar
GaylordWilshire GaylordWilshire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .UP Periscope.



Starlet Christine Larson is uneasy about her neighbor's Do-It-Yourself periscope.

Old File / found on ebay



. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Herbert. Herbert. Herbert. tsk tsk tsk

There's no mention of an address but I located a clue!. . .Christine Larson live on North Beverly Glen. (see BELOW)


from some book

Now all we need is a street number.... Why do I need the street number?

. . .because I want to drive the googlemobile over to her former house and see if Herbert's old periscope is still UP.
next door.

.

Christine lived at 1624 N. Beverly Glen...the peeper Kubowitz at 1628.... Nancy Davis's apartment was at 1244 Beverly Glen (apparently South rather than North Beverly Glen)--I guess we will always have to wonder whether it was actually Christine who gave the best head in Hollywood, which Nancy is widely credited with, since Nancy "forgot" her diaphragm one night, snagged Ronnie, with Maureen being born seven months after the wedding in March 1952. (Btw Christine was a Republican as was Nancy, so Ronnie must have been doubly torn.)


I was wondering who might have set up Christine in such a deluxe situation. Seems the house was owned by a Ben C. Bradley (not to be confused with the younger Washington Post editor) who is listed in the same records as Christine down the street at 1218 N Beverly Glen. But I'm sure, being a married man, he was just her landlord.... Going farther down the rabbit hole, it seems the Bradleys ran Bradley's Coffee Shop at 5909 Sunset...since it's raining, maybe I'll go look for a picture of that....)


The last GSV of 1624 N Beverly Glen:






Herbert's peeping pad is at left:




A demolition permit for Christine's house was issued on July 20, 2018:




Maybe someone with a laser eye can find the periscope:





PS from the Needless Addendum Dept-- how I miss the merciless Spy magazine, its esteemed reporting dovetailing as it did in the the case of Nancy with noir-era Hollywood--Gardner McKay (jealous), Xavier Cugat (not jealous), No-Nose Nanette Fabray (definitely not jealous)....



See all 50 Spy questions at here

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jul 1, 2020 at 1:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54837  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:58 PM
corriganville corriganville is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here is another intriguing Edward Weston photograph.

The title is "Stacked Boat" c.1939


At first I passed over the generically named thumbnail but then I noticed the odd shape of the "boats" and realized they were gondolas!
My insane vivid imagination made me think the gondolas might be remnants from the old tourist canals in Venice (the California one)



getty

But the information with the photograph describes the image as the MGM Back-Lot. (the back-lot was long gone by the time I worked at MGM
but I knew where it was located. I don't remember any oil wells being that close to the site)

At first I was disappointed the boat were studio props but perhaps MGM purchased them from whomever owned the gondolas in Venice
(was it Abbot Kinney?)



As is often the case: I can't (re)locate the photograph in the Getty collection but luckily I took a screengrab of the information. (shown BELOW)


getty / note the three different dates.




As a reminder: I recently posted a Weston photograph of half a cabin on the Paramount Back-Lot. . . .Here

.

The gondola boats are sitting on the MGM backlot #3. Just to the south of that backlot is a hill with the Inglewood Oil Field which still has oil wells on it. West Los Angeles College is directly south of where the backlot used to be. This backlot #3 had a Tarzan jungle and at least 2 separate western streets, among many other sets.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54838  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 7:34 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by corriganville View Post
Just to the south of that backlot is a hill with the Inglewood Oil Field which still has oil wells on it. West Los Angeles College is directly south of where the backlot used to be.


The following three photos, and text, are from the post: MGM Lot 3… 67 acres of Paradise on website Phantom of the Backlots:
https://phantomofthebacklots.com/2019/04/26/536/


"This is a shot from a Jerry Lewis movie, The Family Jewels, 1967. This is just outside Lot 3. Before WLA college."







"Billie Rose’s Jumbo set starring Doris Day. I am amazed with all the oil derricks in background."

"Below: Production still of the same area."


_________________

In the late 70's early 80's I worked in Culver City on Jefferson Blvd. just east of Duquesne, and there was an oil well on the land right near where Duquesne t-boned into Jefferson. They were filming a scene from CHiP's there one day. GSV now shows a Culver City park there and Duquesne has been extended up into the hills, it looks like! I guess that was a long time ago now! Part of the 1984 Olympic Marathon route went down Jefferson past this area.

This park seems to have been a major civic work. I find no info as to when it was built. It rises from street level up into the hills and comprises 41.55 acres. It has a baseball Field with dugout, announcer/press box, bench seating (less than 500 seats), score board, batting cages. It also includes the Culver City Skate Park, The Boneyard (Dog Park), Recreation Hut with Restroom facilities, Picnic Area with 2 separate picnic areas, 4 Barbeques, Children's Play Equipment, 3 Softball Diamonds, 2 Half Court Basketball Court, 1 Soccer Field, a Passive Grass area, Skateboard Park and Interpretive Nature Trail. It seems to have been built with being a filming location in mind, although in this one photo, you may not want to shoot the top half.

CaliforniaFilmCommission

There is this interesting thing in the park, too. I believe it's a sundial:



CCLL

ETA: LADA (Los Angeles Design Associates) did some work on "Multiple athletic fields requiring corrective measures in response to grading and settlement issues, poor drainage and hazardous topography," in 2010.

Here's a LARGE view from the LADA website atop the hill. I spy the MGM (Sony Studios) water tower.

Sorry for the size, but it's a great view of Culver City (where E_R used to work ): ...scroll right...

LADA

In the above photo you can see an "arch", which is this, below, now on the lot:


Last edited by Martin Pal; Jul 1, 2020 at 9:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54839  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 7:51 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
(Btw Christine was a Republican as was Nancy, so Ronnie must have been doubly torn.)
Maybe they're the reason he turned right:

Reagan began as a Roosevelt Democrat. He moved to the right-wing in the 1950's, became a Republican in 1962, and emerged as a leading conservative spokesman in the Goldwater campaign of 1964.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54840  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 11:47 PM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 917
I ran across this interesting building at 1356 South Flower . . .


gsv

. . . in the course of doing some research for a postcard I'll be posting in due course (not today).

I can't find much about this building.

The addresses along this stretch seem to have been (rental?) residences ca. 1890-1900, with 1356 seeing "improvements" in 1906 (but 1352 was still a residence in 1913). The look of the entrance at right seems to betoken accommodation for automobiles; and indeed across the street at 1355 was the Apperson Motor Car Company, from about 1915 to January 15, 1920; and so let's make use of that excuse to look at some keen automobiles:


LA Times, 4/15/1917; Lady, you've got a flat tire.



LA Times, 6/17/1917


But Apperson was across the street from the building in my gsv view about which I'm unsuccessfully seeking information.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:41 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.