HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 4:53 PM
Endless Moments...

Okay people, here is the dirt on the "proposed project".

HDRC CASE NO: 2007-50

Address: 245 E. Commerce Street

REQUEST:

1) Demolish an exisiting non-historic structure in the RIO District (Rio Plaza/Planet Hollywood)

2)Contrcut a new high rise with hotel, retail, meeting rooms, parking and residential (optional).

Therefore i think must of us were looking at parking lots, but this building would tear down the planet hollywood and replace it with a taller structure. Now the location makes more sense. I have to say i never saw this coming, and if it does go through, i would like to see a 300 ft structure, that is almost as tall as the nix. It would be very nice on that corner. Build it Up...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 5:03 PM
The Space Pope

^^^
True. I've always hated that damned Presidio Plaza building. It doesn't make sense to have a small four story building facing north while most of the tract is a f'ing parking lot on the Commerce side of the street. What a waste.

By the way for those who don't know, the Commerce side of the block is a parking lot and the Crockett side is now Club Rive.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmathis View Post
21bl0wed, real estate development does not work like that. It is never wam-bam-thank you ma\'am.
IN SA it hasn't. I just know that a 300' in any other large city isn't going to raise much of an eyebrow and have as much scrutiny. I know thats only an SA thing...So a 300' building proposed here would generally take a lot longer to get underway over a 300' building proposed in some other city like...Dallas or Houston for instance....Right?...Who knows i may be dead wrong and maybe 300' buildings even in chicago take over a year most of the time to get off the ground! lol...Anyway I hope this gets built...With the NIX so close...it would look nice.

I just wish taller buildings in SA could go up as easily as...say...Staybridge went up...And how quickly Vistana started construction...I mean come on why didn't those take so long to get underway?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
IN SA it hasn't. I just know that a 300' in any other large city isn't going to raise much of an eyebrow and have as much scrutiny. I know thats only an SA thing...So a 300' building proposed here would generally take a lot longer to get underway over a 300' building proposed in some other city like...Dallas or Houston for instance....Right?...Who knows i may be dead wrong and maybe 300' buildings even in chicago take over a year most of the time to get off the ground! lol...Anyway I hope this gets built...With the NIX so close...it would look nice.

I just wish taller buildings in SA could go up as easily as...say...Staybridge went up...And how quickly Vistana started construction...I mean come on why didn't those take so long to get underway?
The reason buildings like the Staybridge and the Vistana are going up so fast is because they are not in the RIO district, which has height restrictions if buildings block light into the riverwalk corridor. If you look at the hdrc review committee agenda pdf, you will see the designs are presented with how the building's shadow will cast at summer and winter solstice. Not only do buildings in SA have to get pass the hdrc, but they might have to get the zoning changed and then ultimately, city council approval.

Cities, like Houston, that don't have any zoning restrictions can approve buildings much quicker. I am not sure about Dallas or Austin, but I know that thier restrictions in historic districts are not as stringent as San Antonio. We have the Riverwalk and the Alamo, which have caused a lot of buildings to be scaled down or not been built because of viewshed or shadow restrictions.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 6:31 PM
Meh

Well, at any rate it's good to hear that a developer is making an effort to put anything up. Here's to hoping it happens.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 6:40 PM
James

What I did notice about the Vidorra though, is that it said that the design was under review. Which means there are still improvements a long the way, or mis-haps, you never know. Anyway, even if the 300ft structure isn't approved, the 190ft structure is not that bad to have in a rather short area of downtown.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 7:22 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Notice also the River North hotel/codo proposal embedded in the PDF??

5 story, 123 hotel room, 12 condo development with street level retail on Ninth St.

It's nothing significant height-wise, but every development that makes land more scarce will encourage building up.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 10:08 PM

Vidorra is the fastest selling condo highrise in Texas.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 10:12 PM

I also noticed Kell-Munoz is putting an office in River North as well. Renovating an old building.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 10:44 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Vidorra is the fastest selling condo highrise in Texas.

Wheres that info coming from?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 11:14 PM

Go to KABB.com and click on their News on Demand link and look for the strory “Highrise Living” You may have to then click play video on the story below that one because the link seems to be broken.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmathis View Post
Go to KABB.com and click on their News on Demand link and look for the strory “Highrise Living” You may have to then click play video on the story below that one because the link seems to be broken.
Somehow, I don't think Vidorra is the fastest selling condo in the state. If that were true it would probably also be the fastest rising condo in the state.

That said, it may be selling well, which would be good news for other projects in the downtown area. I certainly didn't expect this thread's project.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 4:21 AM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
IN SA it hasn't. I just know that a 300' in any other large city isn't going to raise much of an eyebrow and have as much scrutiny. I know thats only an SA thing...
Wrong again.

Other cities fight tooth and nail over this sort of thing... 300' isn't something to cough at, even in a big city.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Wrong again.

Other cities fight tooth and nail over this sort of thing... 300' isn't something to cough at, even in a big city.
How so? A look over proposed projects in 05 on the forum here..Then looking at the u/c 05 list..>I see many that were proposed in 05...and started construction in 05 same with 06. This is an SA specific problem mainly due to all the restrictions aka, alamo shadow, riverwalk shadow, tower height etc. etc. etc. etc. A city that doesn't have all these barriers won't take a year to approve a 300' building. It's common sense. It may not START construction in a year, but the whole approval process in most cases is going to be a lot quicker than what it takes here in SA.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 2:51 PM
Endless Moments...

I agree...

It takes time to build anything. I just hope it gets done.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 6:06 PM

Is the building going up over the parking lot as well? Or just over the planet hollywood? If its over the parking lot also...I wonder how many levels of underground parking?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 7:02 PM
The Space Pope

Judging from the renderings it seems to cover the entire length of the block from Commerce to Crockett on both proposals. I'm hoping for the 300', but at this point anything is better than that damned parking lot and that waste of space Rio Plaza.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 1:54 AM
Bears of antiquity

Uh, I live in Portland Oregon right now, the urban planning model for most of this country, and most buildings take years to get approved

The pessimism isn't healthy, kiddo

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 3:13 AM

not worth it.

Last edited by 21bl0wed; Feb 22, 2007 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 3:20 AM
Meh

Not to sound like a knuckle dragger here, but ugh.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio