HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofSeguin View Post
It's the result of clinging so desperately to the concept of "it is old so it MUST be saved" (cough John Woods Courthouse cough). There could've been a brand new building constructed while also preserving the Woolworths portion which is frankly the only part of that area that truly matters, as the infamous north wall where Travis was shot is the steps to the Post Office.
It’s the result of bad design.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 6:31 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
It's the result of clinging so desperately to the concept of "it is old so it MUST be saved" (cough John Woods Courthouse cough). There could've been a brand new building constructed while also preserving the Woolworths portion which is frankly the only part of that area that truly matters, as the infamous north wall where Travis was shot is the steps to the Post Office.
This is a pretty narrow view of the history of the plaza. It has a really important legacy as a gathering space for San Antonians throughout its history, including later in the 19th century when it became a commercial center and those buildings were built. The city organically grew into the mission compound in a way that is really quite unique in the US. It's much more akin in that way to something medieval like the Piazza dell'Anfiteatro in Lucca (and others), where they built buildings within the shell of the old Roman arena, just as the Crockett Block and others were built within the walls of the presidio. In Lucca they could have decided that they should have rebuilt the old arena and demoed the encroaching medieval buildings. But they didn't, and the city is richer for it.

It's fascinating and important history that makes San Antonio a unique place and I'm grateful the state ultimately chose a fairly balanced view of several thousand years of human history at the site.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
It’s the result of bad design.
Yeah, I think he said that, but thanks for clearing that up succinctly and without any context or thoughts of your own.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 3:49 AM

"I'm grateful the state ultimately chose a fairly balanced view of several thousand years of human history at the site."

The enemy of great is good.

"Fairly balanced". I don't know what that means. It's either acceptable or not. We already have two people that apparently agree that it's not acceptable going at each other, so what, exactly are you offering?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Yeah, I think he said that, but thanks for clearing that up succinctly and without any context or thoughts of your own.
He didn't though.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 2:03 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:

https://media.tenor.com/aZI7rocWajYAAAAC/cat-black.gif

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 3:40 PM

This forum has gotten petty.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 5:01 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
Always has been.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 5:01 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
"I'm grateful the state ultimately chose a fairly balanced view of several thousand years of human history at the site."

The enemy of great is good.

"Fairly balanced". I don't know what that means. It's either acceptable or not. We already have two people that apparently agree that it's not acceptable going at each other, so what, exactly are you offering?
Re-read my comment, I'm saying that what the state is doing IS acceptable and I'm happy with it overall.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 9:19 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post

https://c.tenor.com/XHhKXecn7iMAAAAd/tenor.gif

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Re-read my comment, I'm saying that what the state is doing IS acceptable and I'm happy with it overall.
Gotta agree that coalescing thousands of years of history in one place, that is fair to all sides, is a tough gig these days.

I think the concept is more than acceptable, as it seems it would be pretty tough to incorporate all of the history into the design of a building that is being built in current times.

Really wish those opposed would elaborate on "ugly", as only one poster has at least tried.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 5:02 AM

This is honestly fucking awesome the renovation is creating not one but two new elevators to better assist the disabled/elderly/lazy tourists but these unless they have a specific design to protect against it will inevitably be on the fritz due to San Antonio's crazy weather, unless this is operated by the Alamo Trust and not the city's maintenance department. Hopefully these are maintained better as the river elevators can be out days at a time and ramps are few and far between. As a whole fire safety is really non-existent on the Riverwalk (staircases do not have glow-in-the-dark strips, no signage with directions how to get out, etc). The info tablets on the street have a button to push to dial 911 but this kind of feature doesn't exist on the Riverwalk anywhere that I'm aware of. It seems like the Biergarten is getting the boot and the company which owns that also owned the now-closed Maddy McMurphys. That's some poor luck.

For all intents and purposes Ripleys is still staying at their Crockett Street building (which is oddly hilarious) but I guess the river level gift shop will be pretty hidden by trees when you're looking over from the top of the 18 Pounder exhibit to add to the realism and it doesn't look like Disneyland still lol. You can still watch three headed goats and circus oddities be carried around in a net through the second story windows when you're next to the cannon.

The current Paseo de Alamo for comparison. It is starting to smell.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 5:17 AM

Quote:
As a whole fire safety is really non-existent on the Riverwalk (staircases do not have glow-in-the-dark strips, no signage with directions how to get out, etc). The info tablets on the street have a button to push to dial 911 but this kind of feature doesn't exist on the Riverwalk anywhere that I'm aware of.
In case of fire, jump in river.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 7:19 AM

The 24 hour cenotaph cam! Be ever vigilant, Texas patriots!

https://www.thealamo.org/cenotaph-li...9e9f-194468865

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 9:19 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
The 24 hour cenotaph cam! Be ever vigilant, Texas patriots!

https://www.thealamo.org/cenotaph-li...9e9f-194468865
You can still see Ozzy's pee stain.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 9:29 PM

Never thought I'd see the day...even though it really belongs at Labor Plaza at least the Cenotaph is getting it's desperately needed facelift.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 5:59 PM

It's eerie...like a celebrity autopsy. If you stand in front of the statue you can almost see the steel columns that make up the frame but they're wrapped up in tarp.

I assume this repair work will include repairing Jim Bowie's nose which is yellow against the gray marble from it being broken off at some point, and to scrub the black mildew and gunk off.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 5:24 AM

I thought the Cenotaph was going to be dismantled to rebuild a new steel infrastructure where the current one is badly rusted, and then clean and reinstall stone masonry?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
I thought the Cenotaph was going to be dismantled to rebuild a new steel infrastructure where the current one is badly rusted, and then clean and reinstall stone masonry?
From the Alamo Trust website, Nov. 3rd:

Quote:

Understanding the Structural Integrity
The Structural Integrity Investigation, set to last a few weeks, will provide invaluable insights into the current condition of the Alamo Cenotaph. Our mission is to comprehensively document the state of the monument, both externally and internally. This investigation will encompass assessments that will include the exterior structure, masonry ties, interior concrete, brick integrity, drainage systems, and moisture levels.

Safeguarding History
It is important to note that during this investigation, no materials from the Alamo Cenotaph will be removed from the site. A total of 8 stones will be temporarily removed from the top of the Cenotaph to facilitate access to the interior. Every piece of this historic monument will remain on the grounds of the Alamo during the investigation.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 6:42 PM

Progress is progressing...progressively.

What's great about this construction is for the moment the Arcade building that leads to the Crockett Hotel is open for passer-bys so at night you can pretty much stand in front of the Alamo and appreciate the historic graffiti (and without the Sun's glare you can actually read it pretty well) in the stone and the general 'beauty' of it without the crowds of tourists. It's a much better experience. I don't think this will continue once the Plan gets finished as before you could only walk up to the Campo Santo lawn at night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio