HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Yeah they should've huh, but then again the last minute crowd may create a mess just before the game.
I think events should have a more elaborate pricing algorithm trying to maximize the number of people they get in. Something like airlines utilize, perhaps? They also make so much money by selling you rip-off priced food and drinks, that the more spectators the better.

Quote:
Oh, on another note, I heard from my co-worker who was also at the game that stadium officials removed the drums and other cheer items of a group of Japanese fans for "being too loud" because some soccer moms complained.
Well that's a shame, as it was VERY quiet during the match. I have been to a sold out (81 000 spectators) soccer match in Germany and it was LOUD and it was GREAT.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 10:27 PM

Oh man, what a weather we are having! I went around Stanley Park with my bike and was again reminded why I want to live in here. It is such a great bike ride with the best of Vancouver.

Do you locals go around the Seawall often? I hope everyone has done it at least once during nice weather.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Oh man, what a weather we are having! I went around Stanley Park with my bike and was again reminded why I want to live in here. It is such a great bike ride with the best of Vancouver.

Do you locals go around the Seawall often? I hope everyone has done it at least once during nice weather.
I do! Sometimes I even bike through the trails by Lost Lagoon, into the woods, over the Equestrian bridge, onto Beaver Lake area and pops out before Lions Gate Bridge by the seawall to complete the circuit before biking home.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 11:07 PM

I biked from Yaletown around the seawall to Kits beach on Saturday. Really helped after the tough loss at the FIFA WWC. The wind made the ride comfortable in the heat.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 11:10 PM

There was a nice cool breeze on the oceanside (between Lionds Gate Bridge and Second Beach) today. Highly recommended if you want to escape the heat!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 3:41 AM

Just came back from hiking Mount Strachan Loop trail and what a trail! The route up the gully is difficult but the view from up is one of a kind. Best view on North Shore Mountains (and I have been up many of the peaks).

Happened to also see a black bear with two cubs in the Cypress ski slopes. The cubs went up a tree when they saw us with the mommy bear somewhere in the nearby bushes watching us. We decided to take a detour.

Photos hopefulyl soon.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 3:43 AM
BANNED

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/07/w...t-resort-2015/
""For the second consecutive year, Whistler has been named the best ski resort in the world by readers of Ultratravel Magazine, a subsidiary of The Telegraph.

Each year, the UK-based magazine runs a survey to find out which travel suppliers their readers prefer. Whistler beat out 20 other destinations to take the top spot.

“We are excited that Whistler has been recognized, for the second year in a row, by readers of Ultratravel Magazine as the best ski resort in the world,” said Barrett Fisher, Tourism Whistler’s President and CEO.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Whut? wow. I've been to Manhattan, and much of it was dirtier than 90% of downtown. What decade are we talking about?
Quote:
Many in Vancouver hold themselves to the highest standards..... there is certainly no need to compare with a lesser city like NYC when it comes to cleanliness.

Now I'm itching to post pictures of overflowing garbage/litter at garbage bins, streets and alleyways over the last few weekends in many major downtown spots but understand that this is not the right thread for it. Definitely want the City to send out more crew to clean up city streets rather than focusing on non-issues like LED lighting of buildings, which is my point originally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Tweet the pictures to the city, they'll get somebody on it.
Just want to mention the topic couple of us were discussing in the Telus Garden Thread....

The City needs to buck up, cuz there is no excuse for "not enough manpower", "not enough garbage bins" and "garbage collection funds maxed out". Over the years, as more residents and businesses move in, the City should've collected enough tax money or contingency funds for such times. And stop wasting money on viewcones, building illuminations, studies to bring down the viaducts, etc! Clean up your city first!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...bins-1.3134306

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 6:21 PM

More garbage bins are needed for sure, but I would also make them hobo proof (somehow locked). We already have bear proof bins, but I see hobos so regularly spreading arounf everything in a bin while looking for something of value / to eat. It is disgusting.

Last edited by Klazu; Jul 3, 2015 at 2:05 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 7:36 PM

Hobo proof Which would also fix the problem of crows seagulls pulling garbage out

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 9:16 PM

I do admit that it is a very good thing that some folks are picking up cans, bottles and other recycleables. Many of these would otherwise go to the city landfills. Therefore garbage bin diving is not necessarily a bad thing, if only these people keep the bin area clean.
What really bugs me is that more and more people are leaving their cans or bottles anywhere thinking that hobos will pick them up for recycling. They should realize that their city is not a huge recycling bucket.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 10:19 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
I do admit that it is a very good thing that some folks are picking up cans, bottles and other recycleables. Many of these would otherwise go to the city landfills. Therefore garbage bin diving is not necessarily a bad thing, if only these people keep the bin area clean.
What really bugs me is that more and more people are leaving their cans or bottles anywhere thinking that hobos will pick them up for recycling. They should realize that their city is not a huge recycling bucket.
People don't want to throw their recyclabes in the garbage and there are still many, many places that only have garbage bins. This is the cities' fault, not the people's.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 12:10 AM

I've wrote to the city in the past that their street waste disposal system is not reflective of a city who's goals are "Greenest city 2020"

Even the nearly constantly broken disposal units here in Toronto offer waste/plastics/paper options. If I have a recyclable paper product on the streets of downtown Vancouver it's almost always treated as garbage, and that is just nuts in a city like this.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 2:35 AM
Vancouver Moderator

In Burnaby almost all the street public garbage cans have recycling bins that you can pull open at the bottom and get the bottles.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Cool! Always nice to see big brother to the south taking a cue from us.

Quote:
"Seattle, like San Francisco, has embraced the Vancouver model of tower design “to create high-density while still enabling light and views to permeate a dense ‘urban village’ neighborhood,” said Alan Michelson, head of the Built Environments Library at the University of Washington. “The podium design with a thin, transparent tower is and has been the model for South Lake Union and Rincon Hill in San Francisco.”

A 2010 study that looked at seven U.S. and Canadian cities found that New York, San Francisco and Boston all require a buffer between towers in some areas. Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver in Canada all have minimum spacing between towers. Chicago was the only one that didn’t have any tower-spacing requirements.

As one of the nation’s fastest-growing cities, Seattle has a downtown that’s now a magnet for construction. As of July 1, about a dozen tower cranes were up in downtown, mostly in South Lake Union and Denny Triangle, according to the state."
Also great to see Seattle booming. So much potential in their Downtown. I haven't been there since December so much must have changed. I should make a trip there to see all the new development.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 3:32 AM

I visited Wendy's restaurant at Broadway and Cambie yesterday. I have never been there before but man that place looks like a blast from the past! The interior looks like it's original from the 90s or even older.

You can clearly tell that they are just waiting for some developer to snatch the site and demolish the current building. Does anyone know if there are any active plans?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 8:41 PM

I hope at least someone shared my weird sense of humour this morning.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I hope at least someone shared my weird sense of humour this morning.
That was quite oddball Klazu, very creative writing! The 'building on fire' ones were done very well.

I love the photos and the commentary! Thanks for the distraction.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 10:45 PM

Haha, something different and fun was indeed the idea. Maybe the heat has softened my brain as it was all ad hoc after seeing the ominous sky this morning. It also made for a great segway to post some photos from the past.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
The City needs to buck up, cuz there is no excuse for "not enough manpower", "not enough garbage bins" and "garbage collection funds maxed out". Over the years, as more residents and businesses move in, the City should've collected enough tax money or contingency funds for such times. And stop wasting money on viewcones, building illuminations, studies to bring down the viaducts, etc! Clean up your city first!
Much of Yaletown looks like this:

But the City is too busy with more pressing issues!

Park board can’t lock down a location for Vancouver’s love locks

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion