HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 10:47 PM

Hamilton and Mainland Streets and Granville street. Again, all perfect to become Vancouver's pedestrian malls.

But Robson works well with traffic, keeps it having a busy vibe, not to mention its importance of a bus route.

Vancouver also has many alleys it seems to do little with. In Japan, these alleys are the pedestrian streets, with vendors, fun hole in the wall shops and canopies for when it rains! Not full of garbage and crack addicts.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Not full of garbage and crack addicts.
But that's one of our main tourist attractions!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonfiction View Post
Yea, good point. And this is one of the things I love about Vancouver. But I was thinking more of bustling city centre square/street. A place to meet or stop for a few minutes that's really central but not have to shout over the noise of traffic. Not somewhere to escape and relax, which is what I normally do on the sea wall.
This is North America, not Europe. Most of our West Coast cities developed shortly after mass transit and cars came along, not when people's sole means of getting around was by foot (or by horse for the wealthy).

Granville is still recovering from the ill-fated attempt to pedestrianize it in the early Seventies. What had been one of Vancouver's most dynamic streets was nearly killed by that experiment.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I'll buy you a JapaDog if I'm in town.
Done deal!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Yea, good point. And this is one of the things I love about Vancouver. But I was thinking more of bustling city centre square/street. A place to meet or stop for a few minutes that's really central but not have to shout over the noise of traffic. Not somewhere to escape and relax, which is what I normally do on the sea wall.

squares and plazas aren't really part of the north american lifestyle though like they are in europe where it sounds like you are from

just accept your new surroundings and adapt

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Based on counting park space as pedestrian, then you could say Calgary is more pedestrian friendly than Vancouver because we have so much park space and so many pathways (not sure of the numbers, but I'd be willing to bet we have Vancouver beat). I think the question should be limited to urban areas, not parks.
the seawall is not a "path" its an extensive paved network that goes everywhere you can walk from kits to coal harbour and beyond along a paved walkway

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
This is North America, not Europe. Most of our West Coast cities developed shortly after mass transit and cars came along, not when people's sole means of getting around was by foot (or by horse for the wealthy).

Granville is still recovering from the ill-fated attempt to pedestrianize it in the early Seventies. What had been one of Vancouver's most dynamic streets was nearly killed by that experiment.
that was 30 years ago - maybe it could work now

but as a driver that one block shut down on robson right now is painful - about 2 cars a light can turn and it gets really backed up all the pedestrians running the lights don't help it

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:08 PM
Transit User

Well all this depends on your background.

I had a client visiting from Houston (the one city that is somewhat sucessfull at dealing with congestion through building more highways) a few months ago. He was making fun of what we call "congestion" and "rush hour" and was in general perplexed at the lack of freeways and what he called the "real roads".

So if you come from orthodox North America, Vancouver looks like a peds heaven. If you are from old-city Europe, Vancovuer looks very car centric.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the seawall is not a "path" its an extensive paved network that goes everywhere you can walk from kits to coal harbour and beyond along a paved walkway
I understand the Seawall to be similar to the Bow River Pathway network in Calgary, a paved pathway used by pedestrians, cyclists and rollerbladers along the waterfront. Is this incorrect?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:20 PM

no

but this is a path to me

travelpod.com

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:21 PM

Seriously!!!! Have you ever been to the US?

Ugh.... when was the last time you saw a major US city decide to throw a damn bike lane into one of its major arteries.

Vancouver hates cars..... somehow I went from a three lane Dunsmir dream to a hellish traffic clogged chaos. And then my 4.00 parking for work went to 6.50 due to taxes!!! WTF.

Thanks for coming out Simonfaction, better luck next time!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:22 PM

this is a pedestrian walkway road type thing aka the seawall

architypes.ne

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
this is a pedestrian walkway road type thing aka the seawall
So it's like the Bow River Pathway System, just a lot less extensive (Calgary has around 700km of paved pathways), but with much nicer parts that have restaurant frontage (is the scene in the picture above somewhat common?). if there is retail and restaurant frontage on the seawall network then that could be considered pedestrian oriented development and is valid. I still think a pedestrian mall would be a good idea though.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
no

but this is a path to me

travelpod.com
lol, this is a trail to me.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
squares and plazas aren't really part of the north american lifestyle though like they are in europe where it sounds like you are from
Does it really have to be so black and white, Europe/N. America? Vancouver seems like the sort of city that takes the best of other cities around the world and will try it's own thing as well. There are plenty of car filled, badly functioning European cities - it's not all perfect public transit and car free roads. And most of my favourite squares aren't even in Europe.

Anyways, I'm straying away from my original point slightly. I wasn't trying to attack the presense cars downtown, merely pointing out the lack of any pedestrian space there.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:49 PM

Vancouver is one of the more pedestrian friendly cities in North America.

The lack of public gathering spaces, ie. Robson Square, is a good point though

However, one could argue that the beaches, and Stanley Park, make a pretty good free public gathering spot, that most cities can not match.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zegby View Post
Vancouver is funny in this regard. Funny because for all it tries to do to make itself more "green" and less car dependent, PEOPLE ARE STILL DRIVING. New dealerships are still being built all over the lower mainland. People are still buying cars. Only a small niche segment of the population is buying into Vancouver's non-car philosophy.
Convenience wins, every time, no matter the subject. It's the only reason the car replaced the horse and buggy, or airplanes replaced ocean-liners. Make things more convenient, and people will use them. Look at the success of the Canada Line. Or, how airlines in Japan are having trouble competing with the Shinkansen bullet train on some routes, as it can take people between certain cities just as fast, and has wi-fi and other comforts.

And now the first thing people recommend is always to "toll cars!". Well, unfortunately, you will find that Vancouver is not worth the price of admission to many people. There is not much unique shopping or restaurants that can not be found anywhere else in the metro. Unless you happen to really like that one Earls or Cactus Club It would suck the life out of Downtown Vancouver, and finally be that resort city.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
So it's like the Bow River Pathway System, just a lot less extensive (Calgary has around 700km of paved pathways), but with much nicer parts that have restaurant frontage (is the scene in the picture above somewhat common?). if there is retail and restaurant frontage on the seawall network then that could be considered pedestrian oriented development and is valid. I still think a pedestrian mall would be a good idea though.
it's quite common around false creek north and than there are pockets - coal harbour, olympic village, granville island/False Creek

flickr

flickr

me

flickr

flickr

flickr

its a more common thing happening around the city they didn't want waterfront retail or restaurants for years its been slowly changing - there will be a new english bay cafe next summer at english bay which has people down there up in arms how dare they put a restaurant on the beach!

vancouver's just not that progressive or wanting change

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 12:05 AM

Waterfront retail and restaurants are quite daring My God, what if it turned in to something like Venice Beach!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/syume/4...n/photostream/

Look at all those misfits invading somebodies million dollar view.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Does it really have to be so black and white, Europe/N. America? Vancouver seems like the sort of city that takes the best of other cities around the world and will try it's own thing as well. There are plenty of car filled, badly functioning European cities - it's not all perfect public transit and car free roads. And most of my favourite squares aren't even in Europe.

Anyways, I'm straying away from my original point slightly. I wasn't trying to attack the presense cars downtown, merely pointing out the lack of any pedestrian space there.
i'm not arguing its just a different lifestyle and vancouver is pretty different we like our space and we like our cars

have you been to the plazas in the area? they are all relatively new - convention centre, olympic village - they are fairly used and once the retail etc opens should draw more down

once vancouverites get used to the idea of plazas

robson square just isn't appealing to people here probably why they didn't build too many like it for what 30 years?

most people i know don't think of downtown as a place to go for a stroll its just not something they would do plus all the stores close so early its riduculous most shops close down at 6 pm

i know speaking with lots of students who come here to study wonder why the only thing open is blendz or a bar nowhere to just go hangout or shop at - they are used to night shopping - the only mall open decent hours is metrotown and that closes at 9

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion