HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
Vancouver was designed differently than the de facto Canadian cities like Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Toronto in that there is a lot more residential downtown (although Canadian cities overall have much more residential than us ones). That helps keep the core vibrant, even at a smaller population than say Seattle or Toronto. That is a good thing, and you guys should be glad to have it.

Edmonton's downtown is in a big transition. You gotta realize in the 90s the downtown was flat dead. Things are turning around but it's going to take a while. I heard that Edmonton is the Vancouver of 1986. One thing you take for granted is cities like Calgary and Edmonton look up to you in terms of architecture. Edmonton's Old Strathcona and Oliver districts on the other hand are both inner city neighbourhoods full of life and vibrancy. Oliver is IMMIDIATELY west of the core and Strathcona is south of the river. Tell your buddies to check out Whyte Avenue and 124st next time they are in town.
yes they went all over - its not a criticism its was his observation thats all

he loved all the old houses in calgary and loved some of the neighbourhoods they saw and loved that they had cheap houses there and i thought his remark about how people in Vancouver walk everywhere and you see people all over the place in the city was not something he noticed in calgary in the same regard

as for Edmonton - i asked my friends cousins if they found it busy here compared to Edmonton and they both said yes - they felt overwhelmed at all the people and bustling streets - now i have no idea where they go in their city but they live in Millwoods and maybe all they see is WEM i don't know them

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 4:32 AM

One thing I really appreciate about Vancouver is the "high street" urban planning model. Here in Philadelphia, where I attend university, the zoning is really bad, meaning that while there are corner stores here and there, it is often very hard to find everything you need in one general area. Even in relatively low density Dunbar, where I grew up, I could pretty much walk to anything I needed - grocery stores, school, liquor store, sports equipment retailers, restaurants, pubs, movie theatre etc. That's something that I really miss, even though I live in a supposedly more "urban" neighbourhood at the moment.

Another I thing that I really appreciate about Vancouver is the cuisine. While there are many cities in Canada with great restaurants, Vancouver is pretty unique in having its own regional cuisine. While I'm sure Toronto restaurants are great too, I've never heard of a genre of "Southern Ontario restaurants", whereas Pacific Northwest themed restaurants seem to be abundant in Vancouver. Combined with the massive immigrant factor, it produces pretty awesome (and unique) food.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 5:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
Seattle got better highway systems, what is the comparison of here to there, it's unmatchable here.
Which is why Vancouver is better. There were freeways planned all along the waterfront in Vancouver. If we hadn't stopped them, we would be in just as bad shape as Seattle or Portland. Seattle is looking at spending $4 billion to bury the crumbling Alaska Way Viaduct.

There would be none of the great paths, parks or housing near the water that makes Vancouver a very liveable city. There would have been a freeway on the site of the new convention centre. There would not be all the people living near downtown wondering the streets in the evenings and weekends. Downtown would be a deadzone.

Oh yeah, and the congestion is still worse in Seattle.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 5:54 AM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Also i should note besides the winter rain i love Vancouver's weather.
Hehe.... that's like saying: "Apart from the trees, I love the forest"

But hey, it was sunny today.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 5:56 AM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

he loved all the old houses in calgary and loved some of the neighbourhoods they saw and loved that they had cheap houses there and i thought his remark about how people in Vancouver walk everywhere and you see people all over the place in the city was not something he noticed in calgary in the same regard

as for Edmonton - i asked my friends cousins if they found it busy here compared to Edmonton and they both said yes - they felt overwhelmed at all the people and bustling streets - now i have no idea where they go in their city but they live in Millwoods and maybe all they see is WEM i don't know them
Mill woods is pretty much suburbia. I mean it's a short drive to Whyte Ave, but very different vibe from most places in Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 5:56 AM

Well i dont like winter rain because its cold rain (and becomes mixed with snow at times), spring and fall rain can be fun (especially since it is often followed by moments of sun, today is a perfect example, loved today) and the summer is usually sunny and dry. But i will dislike winter anywhere, and yes are winter is best in canada (i'll take rain over snow any day!).

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 6:01 AM

Like somebody already said, the many great restaurants. With our diverse population the choices are almost unlimited, and the abundance of local, fresh ingredients is something that you take for granted until you travel to other parts of the world.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
Which is why Vancouver is better. There were freeways planned all along the waterfront in Vancouver. If we hadn't stopped them, we would be in just as bad shape as Seattle or Portland. Seattle is looking at spending $4 billion to bury the crumbling Alaska Way Viaduct.

There would be none of the great paths, parks or housing near the water that makes Vancouver a very liveable city. There would have been a freeway on the site of the new convention centre. There would not be all the people living near downtown wondering the streets in the evenings and weekends. Downtown would be a deadzone.

Oh yeah, and the congestion is still worse in Seattle.
which idiot would plan freeways like that? of course there is a freeway system that makes you both the most livable and the most freewayful. it's like cooking, it's all food but varies alot within skills. We wait for the next great planner on this forum~~

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Like somebody already said, the many great restaurants. With our diverse population the choices are almost unlimited, and the abundance of local, fresh ingredients is something that you take for granted until you travel to other parts of the world.
dont go to earls for beef guys, i heard its' really bad. dont go to hk tea house ...go for traditional cantonese food, it's good.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Well i dont like winter rain because its cold rain (and becomes mixed with snow at times), spring and fall rain can be fun (especially since it is often followed by moments of sun, today is a perfect example, loved today) and the summer is usually sunny and dry. But i will dislike winter anywhere, and yes are winter is best in canada (i'll take rain over snow any day!).
AGREE!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
I think this was what racc was alluding to:
Proposed replacement

Main article: Proposed replacement of the Alaskan Way Viaduct

On January 12, 2009, the state of Washington, King County, the city of Seattle, and the Port of Seattle revealed that they had agreed to replace the viaduct with a four-lane, 2-mile (3.2 km) long underground tunnel. The tunnel would have a south portal in SoDo, near Qwest Field, and a north portal near Thomas Street, north of the Battery Street Tunnel.

The project is estimated to cost US$4.25 billion, with the state, city, and county promising funding well short of the estimate. The state will fund boring of the tunnels, while the city and county will fund surface street improvements and repairs to the Alaskan Way Seawall, which itself was damaged in the Nisqually earthquake. There is presently no publicly-known timetable for the construction and opening of the tunnel. Construction of the tunnel is scheduled to begin in early 2011 and end in late 2015, with the potential length of the project being 6 years.

The announcement did little to quell the heated debate over the viaduct's replacement, with several factions expressing their criticism over the tunnel decision.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Way_Viaduct

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 7:49 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
the malls are better here
I absolutely disagree with that. in its entirety, Metrotown could fit in West Edmonton Mall and there'd still be room left over. but then again, what else is serious competition to Metrotown? maybe Park Royal? or how about Coquitlam Center? please, they don't even hold a match compared to Chinook Center, Market Mall, or even Sunridge Mall in Calgary.

Lougheed Mall is almost decent, comparable to Calgary's Marlboro Mall or Edmonton's Kingsway Mall. I still wouldn't claim its "better" than any mall. I'd say that the malls here are better than say...Saskatoon, Kelowna, or Grande Prairie, but I think when it comes to indoor shopping, Calgary has Vancouver beat by a landslide.

Now, that said. Vancouver's pluses in my opinion include:

- hiking trails on the North Shore
- rapid transit, soon to be rail transit, to the airport
- the entire regional transit system in all its forms
- the BC Lions and the Vancouver Whitecaps. both championship winning sports teams
- the mild winters
- rain in January
- crawling out of bed at 9am and everyone in Toronto or New York is on lunch
- being able to ski on land AND water on the same day
- living in one of the greenest cities on the planet (both in color and in practice)
- having such a diverse downtown area that it seems like 12 different cities
- Blenz Coffee

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 1:33 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguoustraveller View Post
One thing I really appreciate about Vancouver is the "high street" urban planning model. Here in Philadelphia, where I attend university, the zoning is really bad, meaning that while there are corner stores here and there, it is often very hard to find everything you need in one general area. Even in relatively low density Dunbar, where I grew up, I could pretty much walk to anything I needed - grocery stores, school, liquor store, sports equipment retailers, restaurants, pubs, movie theatre etc. That's something that I really miss, even though I live in a supposedly more "urban" neighbourhood at the moment.

Another I thing that I really appreciate about Vancouver is the cuisine. While there are many cities in Canada with great restaurants, Vancouver is pretty unique in having its own regional cuisine. While I'm sure Toronto restaurants are great too, I've never heard of a genre of "Southern Ontario restaurants", whereas Pacific Northwest themed restaurants seem to be abundant in Vancouver. Combined with the massive immigrant factor, it produces pretty awesome (and unique) food.
I completely agree. I love the mix of Mom and Pop shops in Vancouver's commercial districts and how things are not centered around malls like many other cities. Just a comparison to Seattle, Seattle does not have a Granville Street type strip. Everything is scattered around the suburbs.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickinacan View Post
I completely agree. I love the mix of Mom and Pop shops in Vancouver's commercial districts and how things are not centered around malls like many other cities. Just a comparison to Seattle, Seattle does not have a Granville Street type strip. Everything is scattered around the suburbs.
Downtown Seattle has a great outdoor shopping district.

I didn't see it mentioned, but Vancouver has TOO DAMN MANY "homeless". I use quotes since many of these people who spend their grubby days on the streets obviously have a place to stay.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 3:44 PM

Observation (i.e., not meant as insult to anyone at all):

It is an interesting exercise to read this post thread from start all the way through.

Does it reveal anything culturally that a post asking specifically for Vancouver's positive qualities (and going to great length to explain its intent as a diversion to the many - often legitimate - gripes in other posts) is filled with substantial commentary about "things people don't like about Vancouver."

I find it funny, but it also seems a bit of a downer that folks are unable to separate the qualities they like from things they don't. I used to think I had a bit of an issue with that until I moved here, where I appear to be the sunny optimist in any gathering .

I've already given my Vancouver qualities list earlier, but I might had to add "because culturally it makes me feel like an idealistic optimist" to the list .

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 4:19 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Downtown Seattle has a great outdoor shopping district.

I didn't see it mentioned, but Vancouver has TOO DAMN MANY "homeless". I use quotes since many of these people who spend their grubby days on the streets obviously have a place to stay.
Sorry, I should have elaborated, but my mind was without my morning jolt of caffeine.

Seattle doesn't have a central nightlife district like the Granville strip, but rather it is scattered. Shopping in Vancouver and Seattle are both comparable, although Seattle has a slight edge in what is ultimately offered.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

the problem with many citizens in edmonton is they don't care about their city no matter how beautiful it is. sorry to sidetrack here but your cousin friends from mill woods probably go to south edmonton common (big power centre), and check out the new suburbia on ellerslie road and think urban areas like the downtown and whyte ave are totally dangerous and what not. i'm sure you guys have the same problem with people in surrey and coquitlam saying that about downtown van and kitsilano. vancouver not to mention is 2 times the size, and for it's size is much vibrant. edmonton is pretty fair for it;s size. in summer we certainly get a vibrant feel but you won't get that in mill woods. whyte avenue is our hottest strip and is full of activity most of the time (except -40, -30). 124st in the oliver area has some nice boutiques and is very up and coming but is much quieter but has an amazing selection of stores considering it was much more dull 10yrs ago. it has been compared to commercial drive down in van. the downtown core is getting better but it is coming up from a big big fall in the 90s so it will take time. the many festivals and rejuvinations like the 104st area and sections of jasper avenue with restaurants and clubs are only helping. the 109st and jasper avenue area is changing quick with many new restaurants and nightlife popping up along with a massive redevelopment plan in the area. so edmonton, if you go to the right places (ie not millwoods) and at right times so no -50 or 5ams of course edmonton can have fair pedestrian activity. the problem we have here is citizens here who live in summerside, a major suburban development, stay in their suburban land of yucky houses and disgusting strip malls then go to calgary, toronto, mtl, halifax and hit up the hot areas full of activity and then complain we in edmonton are so boring and has no life, yet will never go to our hot areas like whyte ave and complain to their out o' towner friends that it's so dull and spreads an UNTRUE word of edmonton being dull when we are a very artsy, festivally city (more than calgary) and have a streetlife that almost matches calgary. but you just can't hang out in mill woods, of course you won't find it vibrant it's like spending your trip in van all the time in langley and only going to metropolis! at metrotown (same as staying in mill woods and only going to wem). of course your gonna be bored and think it is a lame place.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
I absolutely disagree with that. in its entirety, Metrotown could fit in West Edmonton Mall and there'd still be room left over. but then again, what else is serious competition to Metrotown? maybe Park Royal? or how about Coquitlam Center? please, they don't even hold a match compared to Chinook Center, Market Mall, or even Sunridge Mall in Calgary.

Lougheed Mall is almost decent, comparable to Calgary's Marlboro Mall or Edmonton's Kingsway Mall. I still wouldn't claim its "better" than any mall. I'd say that the malls here are better than say...Saskatoon, Kelowna, or Grande Prairie, but I think when it comes to indoor shopping, Calgary has Vancouver beat by a landslide.

Now, that said. Vancouver's pluses in my opinion include:

- hiking trails on the North Shore
- rapid transit, soon to be rail transit, to the airport
- the entire regional transit system in all its forms
- the BC Lions and the Vancouver Whitecaps. both championship winning sports teams
- the mild winters
- rain in January
- crawling out of bed at 9am and everyone in Toronto or New York is on lunch
- being able to ski on land AND water on the same day
- living in one of the greenest cities on the planet (both in color and in practice)
- having such a diverse downtown area that it seems like 12 different cities
- Blenz Coffee
Exactly, there are a lot of great places, sometimes better thanthe stuff here. this is not the "world", this might be a great place for mixing culture, but there are a lot of better infrastructure elsewhere, bigger, better and more entertaining.

otherwise, vancouver's A+ is livability and urban design.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 5:22 PM

btw kingsway garden here in ed is our second largest mall and is full of a wide variety of shops. it had our first disney store i believe.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 6:24 PM

Things I took for granted about Vancouver until I went to other places:

-legitimate asian cuisine
(I was in Burlington, Washington, and the "Chinese buffet" had fries, deep fried chicken, and really bad CALIFORNIA ROLLS)

-a clean, quiet, for-the-most-part odourless transit system with air flow
(I went to NYC and was shocked by the stuffy, hot, smelly, earsplitting subway)

-various levels of government seem to have embraced smartgrowth in one way or another as a standard for new developments

-street life downtown is very vibrant and consistent
(downtown Houston was almost devoid of people on a sunny Saturday afternoon)

-a beautiful airport

-lack of obvious racial segregation in the job market
(Texas)

-beaches everywhere!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion