HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 6:51 PM

The rain does wash away a lot of grime (think urine, dog feces, spit, food, etc.)

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 7:08 PM

I'm sure we've had dscussion about coving those two streets before, and the idea's were shot down.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 7:19 PM
Bridge Walker!

Really I think this discussion is moot. I have no prob. with the rain and they sell lots of umbrellas in this city.

The city doesn't have enough layers?!! Who gives a rat's ass?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 11:26 PM

seattle has a covered street

can't find a good pic of it since i don't know what they call it...

source: stockphotography.co.uk

and for those who want awnings - get an umbrella!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 1:17 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
One can dream... can't they. However, the only concern I would have with a completely covered glass atrium is that the particulate from vehicles would dirty up that glass pretty quickly.

I can see it on Granville, but on Robson, I wonder if they would have to make a it trolley bus/pedestrian only.
that would be the ideal. of course, Robson could only be closed west of Burrard to Denman.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
seattle has a covered street
can't find a good pic of it since i don't know what they call it...
I think it is 5th Avenue. Not sure though.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 4:51 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ Hum... We should cover Robson Street up and make it a pedestrian only zone. Extend the side walks and let the street cars run in the middle. I wonder if there are any cities that have done that.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 5:06 PM

That pic of the glass in Seattle is part of their downtown convention center. It's pretty much a poster of underutilized space from anytime I've ever walked through it, and it isn't that large or impressive. It's like an oversized drop-off point for a downtown hotel connected to a tunnel for a road going through and out from downtown. I don't even recall any businesses there, unless it holds a little coffee shop or deli.

I hardly think that's the example anyone would want to follow for a vibrant downtown. I think covering Robson would just suck the life out of it within a few years as it aged, probably poorly.

The photo further down might actually work, but it would take a tremendous amount of upkeep. The moment it begins to age or deteriorate, it would prove to be a detriment, not a positive attribute.

If people want a mall, they should go to metrotown or Pacific Centre. There aren't covered streets in New York, or Boston (for a comparably-sized weather-challenged city) or DC - all of which have vibrant downtown and neighborhood retail corridors.

I just don't see it for downtown. But if it is going to be done, it would have to be done on a large scale and very well executed.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 5:11 PM

I don’t agree that we should cover Robson. The weather isn’t as bad in Vancouver as some seem to think. Late May-late September and sometimes into early-mid October are generally beautiful.

And when look at this past winter, it has been extremely dry (with the exception of all the snow). We haven’t had those 5-15 day stretches of constant rain this year. If it's raining, go to Pacific Centre. Robson Street in the summer with trees in bloom and sun shining is way too nice to consider covering up. Changing to pedestrian only (perhaps from Burrard to Bute at least) is a decent idea.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 5:38 PM

I still feel Granville is the best place to become pedestrian only with street cars. Also the problem this year with the snow is very few of the store owners seemed to realize that they should CLEAR the sidewalks. Also i do with that the clamshell idea was going through and i hope one day that the Granville street stations do have a proper transfer underground with shopping.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 6:22 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
I'm sure we've had dscussion about coving those two streets before, and the idea's were shot down.
Not really. Responses ranged from "Get an umbrella" to "Please don't take away my cruising street that I used to drive down when I was a teenager" to "Great Idea"

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 10:41 PM

Arrow . . . well, to repeat, here's an idea for it . . .

The underground complexes in Montreal and Toronto work well, largely because of the long, harsh winter conditions. Similarities in that vein are largely irrelevant in Vancouver, as members have pointed out.

However, as I mentioned before - and several people agreed - there is a glaring example of where Vancouver's underground pedestrian system could be enlarged and implemented - and that is connecting Robson Square on the lower level to Vancouver City Centre Station, either by a direct, bright tunnel with retail facilities, or else through the Pacific Centre itself.

It's only a block away from Howe Street to Granville Street, so this does not invlolve kilometres of passageway. The main stumbling blocks are access through Sear's lower floor, or finding a route through the Pacific Centre itself.

And this is not expansion for the sake of expansion.

It is expansion to give commuters another exit option and entrance option, and to revitalize Robson Square and bring it back fully into the fold of downtown Vancouver.

People have been sqwawking over the lack of use of downstairs Robson Square. Here's what seems a relatively efficacious method to mitigate that, and I don't think we're talking $$$ megamillions, either.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 12:24 AM
BANNED

All we really need is better awnings along streets. An underground walkway system is overkill and not needed.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 12:37 AM

i dont think underground helps to promote the dead atmosphere, stores would be closed by 7 anyways. and it's likely just a one story shopping mall underneath the ground. we need multi-story flashy shopping malls.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
i dont think underground helps to promote the dead atmosphere, stores would be closed by 7 anyways. and it's likely just a one story shopping mall underneath the ground. we need multi-story flashy shopping malls.
Fuck Malls, at least anywhere near downtown. Metrotown and Guilford... Sure, but I don't think any mega-malls near downtown would do anything to improve quality of life or the social fabric of the area.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 2:25 AM
Site 8 Lives

I can't understand the fear and loathing that the mere mention of one underground walking path creates. As if a connector between Robson Square and the Canada Line would suck all of the energy out of downtown.

As if!

Some of the most vibrant cities in the world have extensive underground walking networks, and the pedestrian experience at street level is hardly impacted. It's all about giving people CHOICE, as opposed to social engineering.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 3:45 AM

choice lol

ooh a whole block underground big waste

its crossing one corner its not that worth it

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Fuck Malls, at least anywhere near downtown. Metrotown and Guilford... Sure, but I don't think any mega-malls near downtown would do anything to improve quality of life or the social fabric of the area.
I meant multi-story small sized malls, located around denser areas. Big ones only eat up more area. Another idea is to have the first two levels underground, eg. the bestbuy store near broadway.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 4:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Some of the most vibrant cities in the world have extensive underground walking networks, and the pedestrian experience at street level is hardly impacted. It's all about giving people CHOICE, as opposed to social engineering.
I'm getting really tired of the term "social engineering" being used whenever people don't agree with something. It is not like everything can't be considered "social engineering" including underground walkways.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 5:08 AM

Some of the most vibrant cities in the World have extensive underground walking networks, and 10x the population.

When Vancouver has 8 million people living here, and the above ground space is taken up.... as in, when there is actually a demand for it.

I am loving this new captain obvious gig!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion