HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 1:06 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

i've a new idea to toss into the mix...

North Vancouver and TransLink should team up to build the worlds longest Escalator up Lonsdale from Esplanade.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 9:54 PM

^ Haha nothing like an escalator in the rain!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: the Transit hub... I dont understand why it would have to all be in one location. It has limited benefits and many drawbacks. , . .

Pros
- Easy access to seabus, WCE and C line for incoming travelers.
- More central location.
- Closer to cruise ship terminal (dont know if this really matters)
- Somewhat more glamarous location than existing looks better for tourists' first impression

Cons

- It would clog already congested downtown streets with large stinking deisel busses
- It would put unnecessary emphasis and strain on Waterfront skytrain station when at main st we could just spread the capacity between 2 stations.
- Wouldn't see street car service until later.
- It would clog up already congested rail lines on the waterfront with via/amtrak trains, hampering future WCE expansions
- Additional expensive construction costs.
- Uses prime downtown waterfront real estate for a bus terminal...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 10:59 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Regarding what I'd like to see improved at the Main St Skytrain hub, I've photoshopped a pic, I know I suck.
I've increased the size of the Pacific Central building by 50% by building on two attachments one on each side that way there is space for Rocky mountain and others. I've moved the bus terminal to the north and doubled its capacity. I've also doubled the staging capacity of the rail lines and it all fits nicely on the same footprint.
I didn't want to search for a covered walkway so I just drew them in blue. They would connect the East entrance with the entrace to Pacific Central and I added an extension to the future home of St. Pauls.
I love this idea. Pacific Central's location is very good and connects well to downtown. It will also connect with the streetcar.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion