HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Yes I am strait. Good to know at least the gay community is having a good time.

Vancouver...sexiest....? Is this an attempt at sarcasm? I've seen better in...well...every city I have been in Europe (even Sarajevo...in a Muslim country). I would have to agree with the Vegas statement though.

I don't have any fetishes, not do I care about the race of women....but attitude is really important in my book.
Vancouver is definitely a good place for a foodie, I wont argue with you about that. But I personally find food to be something I eat to survive...and nothing more.
yeah its weird how the scenes are so different - when we go to seattle or portland they just love vancouver and say they come up here as much as they can cause the scene is so much better here and than we say really?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 10:33 PM
victory in near

i think everybody is a little off topic now....

back to the study....

does anybody know if this is study is for Vancouver proper or MetroVancouver. i would imagine it would make a big difference where your incorp boundaries lay especially because serveal large cdn cities have amalgamated and vancouver has not.

secondly, i wonder what future impact will be on our "livability" considering all other aspects of this study vancouver totally sucked at.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 10:34 PM

a guy i met is from saudi arabia dn his friend lives in Winnipeg - he is from Saudi Arabia - lived here for 5 years or something anyway the friend in Winnipeg says people in Toronto and Vancouver are very unfriendly and he thinks/says they are nit nice cities but everywhere else in Canada is nice

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post

back to the study....

does anybody know if this is study is for Vancouver proper or MetroVancouver. i would imagine it would make a big difference where your incorp boundaries lay especially because serveal large cdn cities have amalgamated and vancouver has not.

secondly, i wonder what future impact will be on our "livability" considering all other aspects of this study vancouver totally sucked at.
probably just the city proper?

the suburbs here are all prety nice though so as a metro its nice

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 10:42 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post

back to the study....

Good question. You'd think they would look at the agglomeration if they're smart about it.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 10:48 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
a guy i met is from saudi arabia dn his friend lives in Winnipeg - he is from Saudi Arabia - lived here for 5 years or something anyway the friend in Winnipeg says people in Toronto and Vancouver are very unfriendly and he thinks/says they are nit nice cities but everywhere else in Canada is nice
He's correct. I find it's a lot easier meeting people elsewhere. People don't trust each other here, only their close friends it seems.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 11:12 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The problem with people here not trusting each other is due in a large part because not very many people are from here. They tend to be defensive because they aren't completely comfortable with their surrondings yet. This will be the case for years to come as many more people continue moving here. Most big cities suffer from this hence why when you visit a city with lower immigration they tend to feel friendly as the locals feel at home and aren't as defensive.

This is not a rant against immigration in case anyone takes it that way.
Anyone have any examples of a large city with booming immigrant that feels very friendly? I'm sure there must be some but probably not many, at least in N.A.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 11:20 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
He's correct. I find it's a lot easier meeting people elsewhere. People don't trust each other here, only their close friends it seems.
totally agree.

i even read a study somewhere (can't think of which one right now) that vancouver was the hardest cities in the world to find a wife or husband. i do not know how true that is..... but i still think vancouverites (on the most general terms) tend to dislike everybody around them. i know i do

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 11:44 PM

It doesn't really have to do with how long they are here. I've found it easier to meet people that are foreign exchange students or have immigrated recently than people that were born here. I guess it may apply to some populations...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 11:48 PM

Who do you people hang out with and where do you go? Honestly, what a bunch of negative grandmas. We must live in different cities, it is super easy to meet people, you just have to be out going! Every month i have new friends. For goodness sakes, if you people find it so hard to do so then why don't you arrange a forum meet, because here alone there must a bunch of people in the GVRD that could be your friends!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Because Asian woman are who get me sexually excited. I have always been like this, since i was a little kid and first noticed woman i thought Chinese, Korean, Japanese etc... woman were gorgeous. So in that context it is a fetish, for other woman do not get me any where near as excited.
LOL.....for me, it's all about the whities/caucasians and especially the blue eyed and blond haired ones.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 12:08 AM

I know it's not on topic, but how could anybody possibly insinuate Vancouver is not a good looking city! Do you people not even go to the beaches / outdoor pools that there are so many of in the Summer (another thing that makes Vancouver very nice and livable, that a lot of cities don't have). They can't *all* be tourists.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The problem with people here not trusting each other is due in a large part because not very many people are from here. They tend to be defensive because they aren't completely comfortable with their surrondings yet. This will be the case for years to come as many more people continue moving here. Most big cities suffer from this hence why when you visit a city with lower immigration they tend to feel friendly as the locals feel at home and aren't as defensive.

This is not a rant against immigration in case anyone takes it that way.
Anyone have any examples of a large city with booming immigrant that feels very friendly? I'm sure there must be some but probably not many, at least in N.A.
i agree - i am not from the LM and even though I grew up in BC and lived most of that time in the Vancouver area you do kinda never feel like its "home" and people that grew up here - i actually know a few - lol which is rare can be a little cliquey but they have always been friendly but you gotta get an in to their circle first

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 2:28 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I know it's not on topic, but how could anybody possibly insinuate Vancouver is not a good looking city! Do you people not even go to the beaches / outdoor pools that there are so many of in the Summer (another thing that makes Vancouver very nice and livable, that a lot of cities don't have). They can't *all* be tourists.
It's all subjective. Some people see something different when they go to other countries and they get excited. I'm the same way. But I agree with you that Vancouver has a lot of hotties. Not so sure about the suburbs though. Gee, I wonder why.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 7:41 AM
BANNED

I think it's pretty funny how Vancouver has been rated the #1 most liveable city and yet this whole thread is pretty much dedicated to trying to come up with flaws about the city, human nature perhaps.

There are cities with better night life and what not, but it's all about levels, and at the end of the day Van fairs better than most in many categories including the ones discussed here.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 8:08 AM

Get a grip guys.
Anyone who thinks Vancouver is the "best" city in the world is nuts. That's not a clip on Vancouver either........there is no such thing as "best" city. These things should be viewed as guidelines. Just because one city scores 0.2 on some stupid scale doesn't make it better.
Vancouver is a great city with a moderate climate, beautiful setting, fantastic outdoor opportunities, and wonderfuls parks beyond anything else in Canada but then has horrid transit, lousy shopping & restaurants, and is dull as dish water compared to Toronto or Montreal. When it gets this close it comes down to what you want in a city.

These thing should be viewed as more or less top 20, top 40 etc, NOT by a few decimal points.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 8:12 AM

I wonder how we'll fair if we get the Big One and/or Mt. Baker erupts and/or a tsunamis hits us.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 8:29 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Get a grip guys.
Anyone who thinks Vancouver is the "best" city in the world is nuts. That's not a clip on Vancouver either........there is no such thing as "best" city. These things should be viewed as guidelines. Just because one city scores 0.2 on some stupid scale doesn't make it better.
Vancouver is a great city with a moderate climate, beautiful setting, fantastic outdoor opportunities, and wonderfuls parks beyond anything else in Canada but then has horrid transit, lousy shopping & restaurants, and is dull as dish water compared to Toronto or Montreal. When it gets this close it comes down to what you want in a city.

These thing should be viewed as more or less top 20, top 40 etc, NOT by a few decimal points.

Of all the negatives that Vancouver has, the restaurant scene isn't one of them. Vancouver has some of the best food on the continent. It truly is a foodie city. I don't think it's even debatable.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 8:31 AM

I think you are a little hard on vancouver there ssiguy. The food is great around here for one thing, no argument. Transit is going to be amazingly better n the coming decade, so just give that a chance. And anyone who thinks Vancouver is boring as dishwater i believe does not know how to have fun. Yes it has things it needs to improve on, everyone here i believe knows what i would change, but to go as far as your comments is unfair and not true.

Also we have many great shopping destinations, the night market is so much fun in the summer, Metro-town is a mega mall complex with nearly 500 stores in it, and shopping downtown is always enjoyable.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 8:53 AM

The only things wrong with vancouver have to do with its relatively young age. Something that cannot be helped. When these missing pieces are in place and they will be, there will be no comparison.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion