HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 4:30 AM

Idiot of the week

oh gawd why do people exist

Woman clipped by train in White Rock

METRO VANCOUVER - A young woman is lucky to be recovering well this week after she was struck by a train at White Rock's waterfront promenade early Saturday morning.

The 23 year-old Abbotsford resident was hit at 1 a.m while talking on her cell phone and sitting on the train tracks near the pier at the 15000 block of Marine Drive, according to Constable Janelle Canning of the White Rock RCMP.

Canning said the train "clipped" her while moving at about 32 km/h. The woman was taken to Peace Arch Hospital. She suffered a non-serious laceration to the neck and was released the same day.

Canning said alcohol was a factor as it most likely delayed her reaction time when the train sounded its horn.

According to Canning, trains are restricted from using their horns after 10 p.m unless the conductor sees a problem, as in this case.

She said normally a train will sound its horn during the entire time it passes by the White Rock waterfront.

Canning said the public should not to cross the blue railings onto the tracks, as walking or sitting on the tracks is an offence.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...1-8c022415aca7

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 7:24 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

whats funny is the person hit was my girlfriend's ex roommate.

she is a bit of a ditz, so we all kinda laughed when we found out this evening. she's okay, shaken up a bit, but she'll live.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 11:26 AM

darwinism in action

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 12:24 PM

... She ... sat... on the tracks? And talked on her phone?

So close... she should never be allowed to reproduce

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 3:24 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
... She ... sat... on the tracks? And talked on her phone?

So close... she should never be allowed to reproduce

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 4:20 PM
Site 8 Lives

It's actually a growing problem in this region. Last year, someone was hit on the tracks while wearing their iPod. And they were unfortunately injured quite badly.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 4:41 PM

I don't know if you can really call it unfortunate, unfortunate is having something dropped on you from a really tall building, you really would not expect that. Unfortunate is not sitting on or standing on a railroad track with a device that prevents you from hearing, and then having you get hit. That is just... well, stupidity

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 8:59 PM

Want to talk about Darwinism stupidity? Did you hear about the couple who were killed this week while having sex on the train tracks?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...th-Africa.html

Train kills couple having sex on the tracks in South Africa

By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 11:02 AM on 24th September 2008

* commentsComments (0)
* Add to My Stories Add to My Stories

A couple have been run over by a train while having sex on the tracks in South Africa (file photo)

A man and a woman having sex on the rail tracks have been killed by a freight train in South Africa.
The driver spotted the couple from a distance and repeatedly hooted - but they 'continued with their business', South African media reported.
The Kinross railway station in Mpumalanga is no longer in use, but freight trains do occaisonally run through it.
The area is more often used as a haven for prostitutes and their clients, police told South African newspaper Sowetan.
Police identified the couple as Mduduzi Michael Bandezi, 28, and Sibongile Radebe, 25, the paper said.
Mr Bandezi died immediately while Ms Radebe died later at hospital, Superintendent Abie Khoabane said.
They pair reportedly met earlier that night at a local tavern. When Bandezi's brother told him it was time to leave at about 11pm, Bandezi ignored him, leaving instead with Radebe later on.
"The spot was littered with scores of used condoms when police arrived at the scene of the gruesome death of an alleged prostitute and her client on Friday night," the Sowetan said.
The tiny town is known for the huge number of prostitutes operating on its outskirts.
The majority of the sex workers are from rural parts of Mpumalanga and converge on the town near Evander to service motorists and truck drivers.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 9:36 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
It's actually a growing problem in this region. Last year, someone was hit on the tracks while wearing their iPod. And they were unfortunately injured quite badly.
i thought that was in Red Deer AB

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 8:22 PM

no some guy in white rock had his hand injured a few months ago

it was on the news

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 8:33 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

well this just goes to show how stupid people actually are.

there is a sign on (heading both directions) along highway 1 in Alberta between Canmore and Calgary saying "WATCH FOR PEDESTRIANS" because after a New Years Eve party a couple years ago, this 16 year old girl whom lived on the Morley Reserve (which is a dry reserve) was crossing the highway rather drunk and got hit bit a about 6 cars. she ended up dieing from her mistake, but rather than put a sign up saying "THIS IS THE F**KING TRANSCANADA HIGHWAY, DON'T CROSS IT OR YOU'LL BE KILLED", they put up the sign to encourage people walking across the highway.

...Charles Darwin would be proud of that...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Whats the growing problem?.....Stupidity?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 9:22 PM

i don't get it there is a perfect paved walkwway next to the tracks and a fence of sorts between them and yet you still see people walking along the tracks

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 5:17 AM
BANNED

And nothing of value was lost.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 7:05 PM

The Darwin references are out of context. Survival of the fittest is a phrase used to show the complex but perfect physical interaction between species and environment, not whether the species was stupid or not. Although the latter is obvious in these scenarios.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 1:18 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

i'm just going to post this...considering this is the "idiot of the week" thread:

don't goto Central City Brewing Company.

last night my girlfriend and about 30 of our friends went to see our friend's band play (The Town Pants...shameless plug, but they're awesome!). during the night our table racked up an okay sized bill for 4 people. we counted the cash in front of the waitress and then she left as she realized we didn't have the patience to sit and wait. so, we left the cash on the table, and then went on our way.

5 minutes later i realized i had left my cell phone on the table and went back to get it. when i got back to our table, the cash and the bill were gone. one would assume at this point that the waitress took the money and we were squared. upon retrieving my phone, i left again.

an hour later i got home and got a phone call from a friend whom said the waitress stated we never squared our bill. this strikes me as a bit odd. so i call them back and got connected with the waitress. the woman, who proceeded to give her plight of how she is a single mother and how she's going to get stuck with the bill out of her own pocket, and blah blah blah. so, she says she's going to call the cops and what not if we don't come back and pay the bill (keep in mind its about 130 in the morning, and i'm automotively challenged) right away. so i told her to goto hell and i would talk to her manager in the morning.

so i call the manager, who says "you should come back and pay the bill!" and "someone at our party probably took the cash!" to which i responded we were sitting at reserved tables for friends of the band, and that of all 30 people sitting in our section are close friends, and none of us were planning on coming back to the bar again if this is how we're treated. then i proceeded to say to the manager that the band that was playing knows what happened and isn't going to play at the bar again. so then buddy starts sucking up and says "oh, well, uh, this isn't the first complaint about this waitress! she says she walked by after the money was left, but didn't pick it up. we'll look into this further!"

so about half an hour ago, i get a phone call from the waitress saying that she actually DID get the money from us and was trying to get us to come back and pay again. i told her i hope she gets fired for this.

so yeah...idiot of the week for this week. lying, thieving waitresses are bars in Surrey.

don't goto Central City Brewing Company. the beer and food aren't bad, but i'm sure this shit happens more often then not.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 1:48 AM
be nice to the crackheads

What a hag!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 3:13 AM

Something similar happened to me after I spent 6 hours with a number of friends at Biminis...the waitress waits until you drink a couple of drinks and claims you drank way more than you did. Then she says she has it written down, blah blah and claims to be the one being swindled. Sadly, I was with a group for a friends birthday, and didn't want to ruin it for him. Now I try to collect receipts and pay per drink, so that I can tell them to f off if they try to swindle me. Generally, bars and such places here are horrible...I've been to many in Europe, and none of them have ever attempted this, although they weren't exactly stellar.

Last edited by zivan56; Oct 19, 2008 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 4:59 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

well, only issue i think we had was 4 people sitting at one table, and paying in cash rather than all on one credit card. i mean i've no issue paying for my girlfriend and my stuff on my card, but everyone else is on their own.

this bitch was such a flake all night. she took our food order 6 times before she got it right. and i don't mean had to ask us each again, like she came back to the table 6 times. and then i ordered one type of beer, and she brought some fruity raspberry kind to the table. we finally had to order this beer tower just so we could get drinks.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 6:50 AM
be nice to the crackheads

^ One of the many downsides of a labour shortage. If jobs were tight that douchess would be out on her ass.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion