HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 5:42 AM

What are Vancouvers Must See Sites

Some friends of mine from Tokyo will be coming to Canada, Vancouver of course, for the very first time on July 5th - 13th and I want to show them all of the nice stuff the city has to offer, because they are considering moving out of Japan for a bit so their daughters can learn English, etc. So, what are the must see things that I should take them to during their visit? I've got some standard things like Stanley Park, the Aquarium, Grouse Mountain, and Taco Bell (they really want to try it, I don't know why )... but what else I've not actually explored all of Vancouver myself so... it should be interesting for everybody. There are 2 adults (plus me), a 13 year old, a 4 year old, and a 16 month old.

Thanks

And yes I did spell sights wrong, didn't I >.>

Last edited by Yume-sama; Jun 16, 2008 at 6:06 AM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 6:13 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Wreck Beach.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 6:20 AM

We don't have much variety in terms of attractions, nor do we have many attractions.....it's basically all sightseeing, which isn't all that bad since i've heard that the Japanese absolutely LOVE sightseeing.

I'd take them to Stanley Park (walk in the park and afterwards do the drive around it), the aquarium, Capilano Suspension Bridge (wouldn't suggest the toddlers go), Gastown, the Peak at Grouse Mountain, Canada Place, English Bay Beach (or w/e it's called), and Jericho Beach. If they're up for it, take them for a walk from Canada Place to Stanley Park along the waterfront.

I'm sure they have a lot more shopping at home.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 6:24 AM

Yeah, but they still really want to go shopping somewhere, but I'm not sure where. His wife just wants to find clothes that have legible English written on them for once . And of course they have to do the whole Omiyage thing and bring stuff back for their friends and co-workers . And yeah, sightseeing is quite big. I'm probably going to take them on a harbor cruise, and a 3 or so hour cruise up the coast and come back by train if they still do that, like I did years ago.

Wreck Beach is definitely a no go. It'll be quite a culture shock without that, I'm sure!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Yeah, but they still really want to go shopping somewhere, but I'm not sure where. His wife just wants to find clothes that have legible English written on them for once . And of course they have to do the whole Omiyage thing and bring stuff back for their friends and co-workers . And yeah, sightseeing is quite big. I'm probably going to take them on a harbor cruise, and a 3 or so hour cruise up the coast and come back by train if they still do that, like I did years ago.
Take them shopping in downtown, down Robson and Pacific Centre......then go to Richmond and/or Metrotown.....just make sure that you don't take them there by transit, they'd be laughing their heads off when they compare with what they have at home.....either that or it'll be a complete nightmare for them.

I guess if you have that type of money, definitely take them for a harbour cruise. And take them to Victoria for a day, I'm sure they'll love the ferry ride.....walk around downtown Victoria, take a free tour at the legislature, go to the B.C. Museum, Wax Museum, then go to Butchart Gardens.

Hopefully, the weather will be great.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 6:31 AM

About how long does it take to get to Victoria? Public transit is pretty much a no-no, but I'll talk up the Canada Line and go on about how great of a little people mover it'll be

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 6:37 AM

Quote:
About how long does it take to get to Victoria? Public transit is pretty much a no-no, but I'll talk up the Canada Line and go on about how great of a little people mover it'll be
If you're driving, 30-45 minute drive to Tsawassen terminal followed by a 2-hour ferry ride and a 30-45-minute drive to downtown Victoria.

If you have the time, spend a day at Whistler. Stop by Shannon Falls along the way, and visit Brandywine Falls at Whistler....and of course, all of the other attractions at Whistler.

I hear the Japanese are quite enthusiastic about the Olympics as well.....the 2010 visitor's centre at the village has a podium and bobsled at the front, it'll be a great photo opportunity. Same with the countdown clock at the art gallery in the city.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 6:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Omiyage
All along Alberni Street. Japanese omiyage stores aiming for Japanese tourists.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 8:07 AM
Vancouver Moderator

You can't forget Granville Island... =)

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 9:24 AM

Make sure you get out of the downtown core. If they're keen on shopping, take them to West 4th, and hit-up Main Street and Gastown for more independent clothing stores. Take a spin on SkyTrain (it shouldn't be embarrassing to you like our buses may be) and do the Millennium Line loop with a stop or start at Commercial Drive for lunch or dinner. Grouse Mountain is worth it too, if nothing else but for the aerial tram. Go see the Fraser River from Steveston in Richmond and have some fish and chips there. Take them to see the Olympic Oval in Richmond too. Go up to the lookout at Cypress Bowl. Take the ferry to Bowen Island for lunch in Snug Cove. Have a nice dinner at the Watermark restaurant on Kits Beach and watch the sun set from their patio. Buy a kite from the Kids Market on Granville Island and fly it at Vanier Park. Go the museum of Anthropology out at UBC. Drive up to Brittania Beach (just before Squamish) and see the Briattania Beach mining musuem (you get to go underground on a mining train and pan for gold, which you can keep).

Lots of ideas there for you but you must absolutely go to the aquarium to see the baby beluga whale:

My photo, taken June 12th, 2008.

One more idea, go to the Tourism Vancouver Info Centre at 200 Burrard Street (at Cordova) and ask them the same question! They're the experts.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Jun 16, 2008 at 9:35 AM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 9:27 AM

Downtown Eastside

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 9:27 AM

A few ideas:

1) Culinary touring. Tourists typically eat 3 meals a day, so eating can take up a good part of touring around and does showcase one of this city's strengths. Have a list handy in advance... it makes things so much easier. I would suggest picking out a couple Chinese restaurants (maybe a dim sum and a dinner place).. Chinese food is ubiquitous in Japan (but of an entirely different genre than here) so they might really like to try some of the Chinese food here. Also a couple of Japanese restaurants (of course they want to try our sushi!), and Continental/French food (a cuisine of prestige in Japan). You could also choose some pacific northwest type of restaurants, maybe something that serves alder-smoked fresh BC salmon or seafood.

2) The Japanese love their guidebooks! I'd wager they will have done some research on their own about what to do around town. Make sure you offer to provide advice on any places they have in interest. Otherwise they may not find it polite to ask you to take them to certain places.

3) Be prepared for outdoor adventures. They may not be the urban enthusiast.. as they are surrounded by it at home. They of course will want to see our urban setting, but they will likely want to see outdoorsy, Canadian things... like gardens, golf courses, parks, skiing. Or maybe a visit to the Island to see Victoria harbour, Butchart Gardens, and maybe a stay over night in Tofino.

In addition to what's been mentioned previously... North Shore how about shopping at Park Royal the Village (check out the Whole Foods). Walks along the seawall in Ambleside and Dundarave in West Van are beautiful on a summer evening. Lighthouse Park for some views of old growth forest.

Vancouver Kerrisdale, Point Grey, Pacific Spirit park, Museum of Anthropology, UBC grounds, Kits beach, all worth seeing.

Richmond's Steveston, Foodie Street off #3 Road, Night Market, Buddhist Temple(s), all worth seeing.

Take them on the Millennium Line, Expo Line during the day... it is a nice way to see the city without wasting alot of time at ground level in traffic.

I got that kind of treatment the first time I visited Vancouver (originally from New York), and I just fell in love with the city. And of course I finally made the move here.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Take them shopping in downtown, down Robson and Pacific Centre......then go to Richmond and/or Metrotown.....
Richmond definitely. Aberdeen Center is a new, clean and well decored mall, the prices are reasonable and there are never big crowds there, though I'm sure they anticipate that to change once the Canada Line is running.

Anyways, try and get them to buy at shopping areas catering to the common locals, such as Metrotown, instead of the boutique shops and tourist traps along Alberni and Robson where the prices are inflated.

Quote:
just make sure that you don't take them there by transit, they'd be laughing their heads off when they compare with what they have at home.....either that or it'll be a complete nightmare for them.
The fact that they don't cram them in as tightly as they do on the Tokyo subway should be a relief for them.

Quote:
I guess if you have that type of money, definitely take them for a harbour cruise.
Is there any one company that stands out in Vancouver for its harbour cruises, like Argosy does for Seattle? I have yet to hear of one after close to 30 years of living here.

Quote:
If you're driving, 30-45 minute drive to Tsawassen terminal followed by a 2-hour ferry ride and a 30-45-minute drive to downtown Victoria.
The ferry ride's only 1h35. Though counting wait, boarding and unloading time, you should plan a minimum of 2 hours total.

The cruise is well worth the trip in itself though. A beautiful scenic cruise between an archipelago of islands that rivals any other in the world on a big boat full of services and amenities. If you have money to throw around, you could take a Harbour Air or Helijet one way, and the ferry the other.

Quote:
If you have the time, spend a day at Whistler. Stop by Shannon Falls along the way, and visit Brandywine Falls at Whistler....and of course, all of the other attractions at Whistler.
The biggest falls are at Della Falls on Vancouver Island. Tallest in Canada, though not nearly as heavy as Niagara, mind you.

Quote:
Some friends of mine from Tokyo will be coming to Canada, Vancouver of course, for the very first time on July 5th - 13th and I want to show them all of the nice stuff the city has to offer, because they are considering moving out of Japan for a bit so their daughters can learn English, etc.
Do forewarn them that it does get dreary and piss rain most of the year, if they're going to spend any extensive length of time here, instead of showing off only the niceties, just to be courteous and give them a balanced outlook.

I'd also add that it is expensive living here, but I'm sure they're used to that in Japan.

Quote:
And yes I did spell sights wrong, didn't I >.>
Actually, you might or might not have spelled "sites/sights" wrong, depending on what you meant by it. Either word would have made sense in this context.

Last edited by deasine; Jun 17, 2008 at 3:41 AM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 3:30 PM
Site 8 Lives

A daytrip to Bowen Island or the train ride to Whistler are both awesome.

And locally: Steveston -- Lynn Canyon -- Grouse Mountain -- Seabus ride to Lonsdale Quay -- Dundarave Pier -- Deep Cove.

And if the natural scenery becomes overkill, hit the Asia mall circuit on No. 3 Road (there's even a nice Japanese bookstore in the Yaohon Centre).

A daytrip to Fort Langley and some of the wineries nearby is also a nice outing.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 3:37 PM

What's in Bowen Island that is so worthy of foreign tourists to spend their limited travel time there?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 4:23 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Minature train in Stanley park, the kids will love it. Japanese people will do anything to please their children, so aim the activities at things the kids will enjoy and the parents will be thrilled.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 5:41 PM

Thanks for all the ideas . I have decided to take them to Cirque du Soleil, the Vancouver Art Gallery for the anime and manga exhibit, for a day trip to Whistler, and whale watching with http://www.vancouverwhalewatch.com/ among a lot of the things listed here. It is important the kids have fun, of course, as jlousa mentioned. If they do... the parents will . As for the weather, I am hoping it is quite nice, they certainly know it's a tad rainy for a large part of the year... but so is Tokyo, I suppose, only Vancouver doesn't get the typhoon winds! They should be fine... as long as it does not snow They are the type to dress overly warm when it is 15 degrees outside...

As for food, I've told them we'll try Chinese, French, Indian, Italian, "American", and Japanese. Which is all good, but they still want to try Taco Bell for some unknown reason.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 8:32 PM
loafing in lotusland

I second the Aquarium for the Beluga. It's cute. 'nuff said.

About Omiyage, We've always found that instant apple cider packages, Maple-leaf shaped cookies, and other little things like that work well. For some reason, the Apple Cider packages are popular... and they're just a few dollars at Safeway.

You also should probably show them that there's a couple of Japanese grocery stores (not Konbinya on Robson which is expensive and everything is past expiry) but Fujiya is a good place to get Japanese rice and other hard to find stuff (like natto... yum ).

Last edited by twoNeurons; Jun 16, 2008 at 8:43 PM. Reason: conciseness

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 8:40 PM

Yes, Japan is not so expensive to live, for them anyways. They pitch in about $500 a month and they live with the wifes brother, her parents, and her mothers parents (who are both nearing 100, and the grandfather still bicycles!), so they all contribute. Brand name clothing is more expensive, for sure. They will likely be surprised by how cheap things like grapes, strawberries, and watermelons are.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 9:29 PM
loafing in lotusland

That's for sure. Fruit is REALLY expensive. Vegetables are pretty cheap, though.

I know a lot of people who live in decent clean places (mind you, this is around Osaka, not Tokyo) for $400-$500/month. Public Transit is generally paid for by your employer. I found that simple restaurants, once you start calculating the gratuity and tax, to be cheaper. That's living in a danchi, which are apartment blocks.

Transportation is definitely not cheap, though.

If you live Japanese style, it's cheap, if you live Western Style, you'll pay through the nose. (Portions are more in line with the Japanese diet as well)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion