HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
The city wants to put the... buses in another area outside 410.
Why on earth would SAISD want to put their bus lot outside of 410? I find it hard to believe that the land savings would be great enough to offset the extra fuel cost over-time.

I like the idea of freeing up some land along Broadway for further development, but I would be surprised if they move the Bus Lot outside of 410. However, urban school districts are really good at wasting money.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 3:16 PM

Hilton update!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 7:25 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
Why on earth would SAISD want to put their bus lot outside of 410? I find it hard to believe that the land savings would be great enough to offset the extra fuel cost over-time.

I like the idea of freeing up some land along Broadway for further development, but I would be surprised if they move the Bus Lot outside of 410. However, urban school districts are really good at wasting money.
The city has to find the land for the buses. They're looking outside 410.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 4:36 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
So, as I've said before, I have connections within the local real estate world, and try to find out as much as I can, esp the urban core sector, about what's going on.

Well, Gray Street Partners have incredible plans for the Pearl/Government hill areas. They've bought a lot of property along Broadway including the Tuk Tuk taproom.

Their ambitious plans all hinge on being able to buy the SAISD compound in Government Hill. The city must be able to find new officers for SAISD and enough vacant land to house their buses. The city wants to put the offices in the Sutton building on the near east side and the buses in another area outside 410.

One of the major aspects of their plan is to extend Pearl Parkway east into Government Hill.
Interesting. As someone who used to live in government hill, an extension of Pearl Parkway would make walking to Broadway much more convenient from that direction (as it is, you either have to go up to Grayson or down to I35).

Even if they're not able to get that big chunk of school district land, they can still do a lot with all that land they own on Broadway. Between that and the land that Pearl owns fronting Broadway, the stretch between the highway and Grayson will be pretty much totally built out.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 9:13 PM

Another thing I recently learned about, that hasn't been reported anywhere yet, is Lifetime Fitness will open a downtown location.

They are going inside a renovated three story building off South Flores just north of the Judson Candy Lofts.

There will be a rooftop pool. Not sure if there will be an indoor pool.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 3:09 PM
James

Commentary: The Case for a Downtown Civic District

This is a beautiful article about the possible rumored merger between SAWS and CPS. The area by the Weston and Geekdom called the Civic District. The idea that SAISD should build a premier new HS downtown.

I mean this article has it all! Sure it's all commentary, but they are lovely ideas and subjects. Especially since the new CPS HQ has some traction.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Sep 14, 2015 at 8:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Commentary: The Case for a Downtown Civic District

This is a beautiful article about the possible rumored merger between SAWS and CPS. The area by the Weston and Geekdom called the Civic District. The idea that SAISD should build a premier new HS downtown.

I mean this article has it all! Sure it's all commentary, but they are lovely ideas and subjects. Especially since the new CPS HQ has some traction.
This would be great to see CPS and SAWS merge into one headquarter building. I think it won't only save money for both companies but it sure sure would another great skyscraper addition to downtown!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman2800 View Post
That's awesome! Great to see that area of the westside being revitalized.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 6:24 PM

According to this article, Pizza Classics on Broadway in Midtown is moving and a high-rise will be built its place.

Quote:
After 29 years at its original location on Broadway, a local pizza chain is on the move.

Pizza Classics, now at 3440 N. St. Mary's St., relocated to its new location after the building they leased in was sold and will now be turned into a high-rise, according to PC owner Robert Constantine.

The St. Mary's location, which faces Pugels across Mulberry, is considerably bigger than the original and features dine-in seating. The menu has stayed the same, but the pizza joint will now include pizza by the slice for $3 with choice of pepperoni, all-meat, veggie, and pepperoni and sausage.

The eatery fits 48 comfortably, and patio seating is being added soon. Pizza Classics is open 10:30 a.m.-1:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and 10:30 a.m.-2:30 a.m. Friday and Saturday.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Linda Pace’s dream of Ruby City took a step closer to reality today when design plans and renderings for a long-anticipated [Southtown] museum to house the late arts patron’s 800-work contemporary art collection were released.

“It’s been a long time coming,” Linda Pace Foundation board member Kathryn Kanjo said. “Linda began thinking about a museum as early as 2000 and had a very clear vision of what the museum would be. It was the last great effort that she worked on, and now it’s coming to fruition.”

The two-story, $16 million structure will be integrated into the foundation campus at Camp and South Flores streets. It was designed by world-renowned British architect David Adjaye, who also designed the $500 million National Museum of African American History and Culture going up on the National Mall in Washington.

The museum’s name, Ruby City, is based on a dream Linda Pace had, which she sketched and shared with Adjaye during a visit he made to San Antonio in 2007. Pace died of cancer later that year.

The exterior will be faced with crimson-hued panels of precast concrete with glass aggregate, giving it a sparkling effect.

Oversize windows will have views of adjacent CHRISpark, built in 2005, a 1-acre public green space named in honor of Pace’s son, who died in 1997, and of the city skyline.

Visitors will enter Ruby City from the west, facing San Pedro Creek. Terraced banks leading to the creek will feature a new outdoor sculpture garden.

Largely rectangular, the building will have a dramatic rooftop of sloping angles and skylights that rise to varying heights and echo cutaway spaces at the building’s base. Inside the lobby, a grand staircase will lead up to a series of three gallery spaces with concrete floors and white walls and ceilings.

Totaling 14,000 square feet, Ruby City will feature 10,000 square feet of exhibition space, with the remaining spaces devoted to administrative offices and storage.

Groundbreaking is set for 2016, with a completion date in 2018. The museum will be paid for with foundation funds. Admission will be free.

“The museum will be exquisite for San Antonio in so many ways,” Kanjo said. “It will be a singular building, an important building by a very prominent architect, but it will be respectful of San Pedro Creek and integrated into the surrounding neighborhood. It won’t look as if it dropped from the sky.”

Foundation President Rick Moore called the museum “a beacon for San Antonio.”

“It’s a testament to the living legacy of Linda Pace’s vision and to San Antonio’s thriving contemporary art scene,” he said.

The foundation’s collection features more than 800 paintings, sculptures, installations and video works by international contemporary artists.

Recent acquisitions include works by Shahzia Sikander, Wangechi Mutu, Arturo Herrera, Dario Robleto and Chuck Ramirez.

“We will have the long-term installation of major works, but we’ll also develop a rhythm with changing shows or installations in certain sections of the museum to bring a sense of liveliness to the space,” Kanjo said.

Adjaye has said the vaulted, skylit gallery spaces were informed by the architecture of the San Antonio missions.

In a statement, he said: “When I visited San Antonio in 2007 and met with Linda, we sketched out ideas and together we envisioned a building that would resonate with her dream of the Ruby City. Like a city, the design offers an organic encounter with the foundation’s works, and my hope is that it will become a place where artists and the wider community can be inspired to realize their own dreams through a meaningful experience with contemporary art.”

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 1:06 PM
Paradise

Finally. I had forgotten all about this.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 4:05 PM

I love this project, but I wish this project and so many others would include trees and/or shading structures with their exterior spaces. So much park space and public space in SA is basically wasted because there are no trees for people to relax under when the sun gets unbearable...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 5:16 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Cool. The art checks in but it doesn't check out.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 9:35 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

210 Developers' Mission Concepcion project on its way to conception
Katie Burke Reporter
San Antonio Business Journal
Sep 15, 2015, 5:49pm CDT Updated Sep 16, 2015, 11:46am CDT
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...ct-on-its.html

Quote:
The proposal to build a 240-unit residential development on the former St. John's Seminary School site just blazed through the next green light with the city's Zoning Commission's approval of local 210 Developer's latest project in South San Antonio.

Following unanimous approval by the city's Planning Commission last Wednesday, the nearly 7-acre property along the 200 block of East Mitchell Street has been rezoned from a residential single-family to allow for the multifamily development.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 10:26 PM

OH PLEASE GOD! Have them bury those power lines. As a photographer, I'm going to hate seeing these things going past the museum.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 4:32 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...ts-6524277.php

"The owner of the historic Aztec Theatre building and 210 Developers have struck a deal that will convert three floors of the 1926 building into 41 apartment units."

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:45 PM

Convention Center update photos!!!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:45 PM

Coming together!!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:42 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

AREA's Betting Big on Downtown San Antonio. Here's Why.

Xceligent
Bisnow.com
Sep 24, 2015

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/austin-san-an...medium=Browser

Quote:
The Maverick Building is on Houston Street at a key corner by the Riverwalk. It hasn’t been activated in years, David says. He’ll demolish the second-floor mezzanine so retail can thrive again on the first floor, and he’d like to see the basement turn into a banquet/meeting space, fitness center or “super cool” jazz bar. Reata’s Don Thomas is leasing the retail portion.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 10:27 PM

Bipartisan bill brings San Antonio a step closer to landing new federal courthouse

W. Scott Bailey
Reporter/Project Coordinator
San Antonio Business Journal

In 2008, I reported that officials with the city of San Antonio had indicated that the U.S. General Services Administration selected the former San Antonio Police Department headquarters site at 214 W. Nueva for a new federal courthouse that would span some 375,000 square feet and accommodate the expansion and security needs of the Fifth Circuit Courts in the Western District of Texas.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...ep-closer.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio