HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Waterview Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 11:22 PM

What's with the cut-out on the southwest portion of the building? And they should be pretty close to being done with the parking levels, right?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 11:26 PM

10/21/07

Last edited by BVictor1; Oct 23, 2007 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 11:46 PM

[QUOTE=BVictor1;3117072]Ahhhh... It's nice to be back home!!!

10/18/07

I have a rather general question about the waterview construction, but it also applies to other concrete buildings. How does each floor plate get anchored to the core of the building. I dont see any rebar sticking out horizontally from the next floor, and it seems to me like it would just float, or do they use the elevator openings as notches to pour the concrete over and turn it into some sort of ledge. If this makes any sense, thanks guys...I had another question, but I think I solved it on my own. It has to do with connecting the florplate to the caissons. But from what I gather the floorplate is basically sandwiched between the top and bottom of a caisson which is connected with re-bar exednding through.

Last edited by cubbbyblue; Oct 24, 2007 at 1:07 AM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
wow, I'm guessing there's a slight chance the crane will be jumped soon...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 2:36 AM

So from what I see of the sections/elevations on the first page, they are pretty much have all the parking levels poured now?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 3:39 AM

[QUOTE=cubbbyblue;3122854]
Quote:
Ahhhh... It's nice to be back home!!!

10/18/07

I have a rather general question about the waterview construction, but it also applies to other concrete buildings. How does each floor plate get anchored to the core of the building. I dont see any rebar sticking out horizontally from the next floor, and it seems to me like it would just float, or do they use the elevator openings as notches to pour the concrete over and turn it into some sort of ledge. If this makes any sense, thanks guys...I had another question, but I think I solved it on my own. It has to do with connecting the florplate to the caissons. But from what I gather the floorplate is basically sandwiched between the top and bottom of a caisson which is connected with re-bar exednding through.
Since nobody has jumped on this in the first five minutes (kind of unusual) i'll give it a shot.

The core and the slabs ARE connected with rebar. Look at the 5th through 8th pics. of BVic's 10/18 photos and you'll see some rebar coming out of the core into the slab reinforcing. Its not a lot, but you don't need much because you have the entire length of wall to transfer shear and axial forces.

If by caissons you mean columns, then I guess it could be thought of as kind of a sandwich. The column reinforcing extends up through the slab reinforcing which passes over the column. I'm not sure if Waterview is using studrails or not, but those also help keep the whole slab/column assembly together.

Anybody else have a better way to explain?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 3:49 AM

Connecting Floors to Core and Column

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbbyblue View Post

10/18/07

I have a rather general question about the waterview construction, but it also applies to other concrete buildings. How does each floor plate get anchored to the core of the building. I dont see any rebar sticking out horizontally from the next floor, and it seems to me like it would just float, or do they use the elevator openings as notches to pour the concrete over and turn it into some sort of ledge. If this makees any sense, thanks guys...I had another question, but I think I solved it on my own. It has to do with connecting the florplate to the caissons. But from what I gather the floorplate is basically sandwiched between the top and bottom of a caisson which is connected with re-bar exednding through.

As for the notch in the SW courner - not in the model - nice to neighbor - or fire escape ?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 4:49 AM
Let's Eat!

[QUOTE=BVictor1;3117072]Ahhhh... It's nice to be back home!!!

10/18/07

hey im glad ur home too...nice pic buddy...man its sure growing..plz keep us around the world informed!!!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 5:20 AM
BANNED

Wow...WV is really moving now. I wonder what happened to all the naysayers

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 8:31 AM

This is the blueprint for the east corner residence on floors 68-78. I've circled the area in question. I'm curious about the layout of this hallway. It dumps back into the foyer (unlike as master suite entrance as seen on floor 79). And with the utility basin sandwiched behind the door, this hallway looks out of place. Is this an error in the drawing? What would be the purpose of this hallway? Utility/storage?

Thanks everybody for the continuously fantastic pictures of the construction! I check this site every day, and I'm really enjoying all the info!

Harry

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 1:10 PM

That could be required for a fire exit. It looks like it flows out to the cental core of elevators and stairwells.

Last edited by jpIllInoIs; Oct 24, 2007 at 1:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufdigga View Post

This is the blueprint for the east corner residence on floors 68-78. I've circled the area in question. I'm curious about the layout of this hallway. It dumps back into the foyer (unlike as master suite entrance as seen on floor 79). And with the utility basin sandwiched behind the door, this hallway looks out of place. Is this an error in the drawing? What would be the purpose of this hallway? Utility/storage?

Thanks everybody for the continuously fantastic pictures of the construction! I check this site every day, and I'm really enjoying all the info!

Harry
Could be just a "mud room" entrance off the entry foyer. You know, in case you have dog poo on your shoes from walking the pooch. It's not a fire exit of any kind from what I can see. This area will probably be a big junk storage room anyway and it will need two entrances if stuff gets piled up in there

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 10:40 AM

Constructin Elevator

The shaft on the W side of th building, you can see the start of the construction elevator at the bottom of the photo

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 3:47 PM

They will need to increase the height of the tower crane soon. How is this accomplished?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 3:53 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

^The answer to your question (and most crane-related questions):

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...86#post3124686

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 10:07 PM

very good. thanks!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
^That is actually curving around the NW corner. And are you sure that the ramp is going to come through the lobby like that? I was by the site today, and it didnt occur to me that the ramp would come through the lobby a la Deloit until you mentioned it...would be pretty cool though, as long as it didnt take away from the lobby height. Also, I think there are going to be stairs going up to the second level, and how would that be possible with the ramp going through the lobby?
No I don't think it will come through the lobby like that - I hope not. A small piece of it is visible (now) as it comes around the NW corner.

They stacked a truck or 2s worth of rebar on the ramp off of clark today, looks like a reinforced layer over the first layer.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 12:55 AM

The tower crane was bumped today. I think that it might be a self rising tower crane like the ones for Trump. I'll see what I can find out.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 3:52 PM

Quote:
The tower crane was bumped today. I think that it might be a self rising tower crane like the ones for Trump. I'll see what I can find out.
Don't think so - this looks pretty well embedded in the mat

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 4:11 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Do they get it the base out of there?...or just cut it off?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive