HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 1:45 AM

I think it’s got an economical look to it which is definitely more appealing to the broadway market crowd. No 1 River Landing is twice the square footage cost of the next high end building downtown. This will hopefully be in the middle...

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 1:58 AM

more info on North Prairie developments 12 story condo

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...toon-1.4832410

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 4:43 PM

delete

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
I think it is pretty bland for such a prime location. Reminds me of the Arts Tower at the UofS. Compared to Escala it is ugly.
Ick...not a fan! I find this really surprising coming from the Urban Captial team given their other projects on their website....and even Riverlanding NO1....this pales in comparison.

I fully support the concept and need for a project like this at that location, but design wise I am super disappointed.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
more info on North Prairie developments 12 story condo

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...toon-1.4832410

I hope that the fact the developer is open to considerations of the feedback from the public meeting will contribute to this proposal moving forward. It may not be ideal right now in terms of access, but perhaps other design options for access/departure are available.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 5:16 PM

I still dont think its a big deal. North downtown has numerous condo towers on 4th/5th/6th aves and theres never traffic. Radisson and the Renaissance have minimal traffic as well. Those are the factors i take into consideration. Im not sure why a 12 storey condo tower will impact traffic negatively. Parcel Y wont even show that much of a traffic increase.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 5:42 PM

Obviously we have a wide range of opinions regarding UC Broadway. Here is my humble opinion...

Based on the two renderings we have seen, I think the UC Broadway proposal looks great. The lines are clean, modern and sophisticated. And it is certainly not a clone of 1RL, which I was concerned about. I think they took deliberate steps to ensure it stands apart from its sibling, but maybe they went a little to far? Of course, the materials and finishes will be important. I wonder how it would look in black...

The massing looks OK. I think 17 floors is fine, as the height differential with its neighbour across the street is important for the look of the emerging Broadway "cluster". Shorter and it would lose its impact; taller and it would start to look a little too dominating. (Shadows will not be much of an issue at this location.)

It appears to be a little on the wide side, and might look a little squat when viewed from certain angles. There is a bit of a monolithic slab effect on the wide side. There is almost a bit of "Saskatoon Tower" vibe to it. It would have been nice to see some variation. For example, if its floorplate dimensions are 2:1, perhaps it could have been done as two slightly offset squares, with slightly differing heights (elevator and other issues notwithstanding)

I'm not a fan of the crown, although its difficult to get a good impression from the rendering. I hope it is not flush with the side of the building (as it appears to be in the rendering).

I also really hope there is good access to the commercial units from 12th St., and not just a garage door facing the street.

It anything the location and views are even better than 1RL. I sincerely doubt it will be any cheaper per sq. ft. than 1RL. Still, lets hope it sells well. If it does then I predict parcel d/e will be next...

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
Obviously we have a wide range of opinions regarding UC Broadway. Here is my humble opinion...

Based on the two renderings we have seen, I think the UC Broadway proposal looks great. The lines are clean, modern and sophisticated. And it is certainly not a clone of 1RL, which I was concerned about. I think they took deliberate steps to ensure it stands apart from its sibling, but maybe they went a little to far? Of course, the materials and finishes will be important. I wonder how it would look in black...

The massing looks OK. I think 17 floors is fine, as the height differential with its neighbour across the street is important for the look of the emerging Broadway "cluster". Shorter and it would lose its impact; taller and it would start to look a little too dominating. (Shadows will not be much of an issue at this location.)

It appears to be a little on the wide side, and might look a little squat when viewed from certain angles. There is a bit of a monolithic slab effect on the wide side. There is almost a bit of "Saskatoon Tower" vibe to it. It would have been nice to see some variation. For example, if its floorplate dimensions are 2:1, perhaps it could have been done as two slightly offset squares, with slightly differing heights (elevator and other issues notwithstanding)

I'm not a fan of the crown, although its difficult to get a good impression from the rendering. I hope it is not flush with the side of the building (as it appears to be in the rendering).

I also really hope there is good access to the commercial units from 12th St., and not just a garage door facing the street.

It anything the location and views are even better than 1RL. I sincerely doubt it will be any cheaper per sq. ft. than 1RL. Still, lets hope it sells well. If it does then I predict parcel d/e will be next...
2019 , parcel D/E will have a proposal. The sales been put off for too long, and the last news article that mentioned it, said that it was going to wait until most construction is done on Parcel Y first before anything goes.

I like the Broadway proposal. I was hoping for more of a "river city 3" like in their toronto project. That would characterize the area alot. But this is just as good. It is wide like alt-center said, but i am glad also that its different from No1.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 8:33 PM

Agree with you totally alt_centre. Modern and sophisticated but also a bit of a slab. It looks too wide and too massive in my books. It will be interesting to see how it evolves. It's great to see such dynamism in Saskatoon. Now for the north downtown and perhaps a highrise or two on Victoria.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 10:50 PM

Condo College and Clarence

I spoke with a colleague who lives in the area. He says, it is not a case of not wanting a development on that lot, they want the lot developed. The biggest concern is the access to the development and potential parking problems. There is only 232 parking spots for 171 units which equates to 1.35 stalls per unit. That does not leave much extra for visitor parking and two vehicle families. The only access in and out for everyone including residents, visitors, deliveries, etc, etc is via a back alley. Seems kind of stupid to have a development of this magnitude with only back alley access for everyone.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
Agree with you totally alt_centre. Modern and sophisticated but also a bit of a slab. It looks too wide and too massive in my books. It will be interesting to see how it evolves. It's great to see such dynamism in Saskatoon. Now for the north downtown and perhaps a highrise or two on Victoria.
I'm guessing that they chose this orientation in order to maximize the number of condos with direct river views?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
I'm guessing that they chose this orientation in order to maximize the number of condos with direct river views?
I think this is absolutely the case. An elongated (as opposed to square) floorplan with flat facade probably maximizes the number of suites with good river views without any obstructions, and also probably minimizes the amount of internal floor area required for hallways, both common and within the suites. In some square buildings the corner suites need substantial square footage for entrance hallways.

The UC Broadway proposal is getting some love over on the Canadian City Proposals thread.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
The only other way that they could have maximized even more river views would have been have a curved facade.

Either way, I think we know where the units in demand will be in this tower. RL1 has almost all river views.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandCritter View Post
The only other way that they could have maximized even more river views would have been have a curved facade.

Either way, I think we know where the units in demand will be in this tower. RL1 has almost all river views.
Makes sense. Consequentially it still feels a bit massive to me. But could be much worse as well. It's quite bold for Saskatoon.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
id like to see either a City Market-- toronto and vancouver have them but they might not have a small format, or an original "loblaws" banner again thats small
I'd like to echo my support for a CityMarket format store. I've mentioned it a lot to friends as my "wish list" for Broadway. I used to shop at the CityMarket on Peter St. in Toronto quite frequently, and if my memory serves me correctly, it had a smaller floorplan than the Broadway Extra Foods, so hopefully Loblaws will consider it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 7:05 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenraptors View Post
I'd like to echo my support for a CityMarket format store. I've mentioned it a lot to friends as my "wish list" for Broadway. I used to shop at the CityMarket on Peter St. in Toronto quite frequently, and if my memory serves me correctly, it had a smaller floorplan than the Broadway Extra Foods, so hopefully Loblaws will consider it.
Im a little surprised how many of you are all for a city market format store. Ill forsure pitch this to whoever i can and see what happens. It would be pretty cool to see something like this come into our city.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Im a little surprised how many of you are all for a city market format store. Ill forsure pitch this to whoever i can and see what happens. It would be pretty cool to see something like this come into our city.
Start a petition in your store for customers to sign and get the BID to get on board too! Love to see this happen as a resident of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I like this design a lot, and share the opinion of alt_centre. That Urban Capital is the one behind this proposal is very exciting because they have credibility, and I expect the final result will capture the same vibe as the rendering even if it unfolds slightly differently. One thing I think is giving this a 60's vibe that some people seem unsure about is the vertical slats on the 2nd floor of the podium, if that one relatively small design element changed it would affect the entire feel of this building. Not saying I hate it by any means though.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 6:55 PM

Any renders yet for the Midtown Plaza Sears area?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan