HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 9:29 AM

SAN ANTONIO | Hard Rock Hotel | 18 FLOORS | Proposed

Dallas developer plans 14-story Hard Rock Hotel atop Joske’s building

A Dallas developer has drawn up plans for 14-story Hard Rock Hotel that would rise above the nearby Alamo, the San Antonio Express-News reported Monday.
A follow-up Express-News story on Wednesday reports that the plans come at a time when the city and state are attempting to transform Alamo Plaza — over the objections of many Alamo enthusiasts.
The Express-News reported that the Hard Rock Hotel would be built atop the four-story Joske’s building, creating a structure 18 stories tall. Five years ago, that was the site for a similar proposal for a 23-story hotel, which was rejected “amid concerns that it would damage the ambiance around the Alamo,” the Express-News said.
The Express-News reported immediate opposition from the San Antonio Conservation Society, but noted that a 300-room hotel is quite attractive to city officials committed to tourism and modernization.

By Richard Webner and Joshua Fechter |
July 23, 2018 | Updated: July 24, 2018 10:59am

https://www.expressnews.com/real-est...photo-15909570

Last edited by texastarkus; Jul 26, 2018 at 10:43 AM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 12:20 PM
looking at plans...

There was an article about this in the Houston Chronicle also:
https://www.chron.com/real-estate/ar..._medium=social

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack View Post
There was an article about this in the Houston Chronicle also:
https://www.chron.com/real-estate/ar..._medium=social
You'll find that the Chronicle and Express News share many articles... but it IS interesting that they felt there would be interest in Houston. Perhaps the Alamo redesign has caused an increase in San Antonio news.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 6:49 PM

I seriously thought that the whole "putting a high rise hotel on top of the Joske building" was put to rest years ago. I'm all for new high rise buildings in DT, but I really don't see using the Joske building as an addition/platform for a tall and modern building.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG91 View Post
I seriously thought that the whole "putting a high rise hotel on top of the Joske building" was put to rest years ago. I'm all for new high rise buildings in DT, but I really don't see using the Joske building as an addition/platform for a tall and modern building.
But that is what it was built for, with the intention of a future hotel in the middle of the mall. So I don't know why it has taken so long to happen, nor why people get shocked as to the height of it.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 9:55 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
But that is what it was built for, with the intention of a future hotel in the middle of the mall...
I'm not so sure about that "fact."

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I'm not so sure about that "fact."
While I can't find an article to specifically back it up, I do believe that Fryguy is correct.

When they gutted the building in 2013 (removing 100 yr old beams), only the façade remained. A completely new foundation, structure, and roof were installed with, in my opinion, the intention that additional stories could be added later.

Basis for my opinion: The April 2013 HDRC request included both the "renovation" of the existing interior AND the tower. The tower was rejected, but since the renovation continued, I believe that the owners would not have re-engineered and revised the plans. The sketches of the Hard Rock hotel also shows the SAME L-shaped layout as the previous tower.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:27 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Correct. New support structures were built within the gutted building to support the weight of any additional building added in the future.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
While I can't find an article to specifically back it up, I do believe that Fryguy is correct.

When they gutted the building in 2013 (removing 100 yr old beams), only the façade remained. A completely new foundation, structure, and roof were installed with, in my opinion, the intention that additional stories could be added later.

Basis for my opinion: The April 2013 HDRC request included both the "renovation" of the existing interior AND the tower. The tower was rejected, but since the renovation continued, I believe that the owners would not have re-engineered and revised the plans. The sketches of the Hard Rock hotel also shows the SAME L-shaped layout as the previous tower.
Here is a 2016 article that details future plans.

Quote:
Rivercenter has laid plans for even more changes, including “very possibly” an expansion on land it owns downtown, said Chris Oviatt, the mall’s general manager. The new Joske’s is designed to support a structure about 14 stories tall, he said. The owners don’t have plans to add more floors any time soon, he said.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 6:00 PM

That hotel that should have been built back in 2016 (i think) was beautiful. I hope to God we get a hotel structure like that, similar to the Fairmont in Austin. SA needs a tall, world-class hotel downtown. But, maybe this Hard Rock Hotel will be very nice, with the added old and new of the existing structure, it could be a sight to see; something the Hemifair should have had.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 6:01 PM
James

Yeah, the proposed hotel was a perfect structure and we missed an opportunity back then. OH well.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
That hotel that should have been built back in 2016 (i think) was beautiful. I hope to God we get a hotel structure like that, similar to the Fairmont in Austin. SA needs a tall, world-class hotel downtown. But, maybe this Hard Rock Hotel will be very nice, with the added old and new of the existing structure, it could be a sight to see; something the Hemifair should have had.
As long as we are talking about the REDESIGNED one, I agree as well. Weird thing is that the second, nicer set of renderings were by the same architecture firm that is responsible for the buildings now being proposed at Hemisfair. (For reference, here is the first idea which was appropriately rejected by the HDRC: https://www.expressnews.com/business...ls-4413719.php)

I agree that it would be a shame if the Hard Rock one is just a beige (fake) stucco box.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 7:20 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
As long as we are talking about the REDESIGNED one, I agree as well. Weird thing is that the second, nicer set of renderings were by the same architecture firm that is responsible for the buildings now being proposed at Hemisfair. (For reference, here is the first idea which was appropriately rejected by the HDRC: https://www.expressnews.com/business...ls-4413719.php)

I agree that it would be a shame if the Hard Rock one is just a beige (fake) stucco box.
I feel like if it had the color scheme of the brick Joske building it could be really cool.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 11:23 PM

As I am looking at the Hard Rock hotel rendering again, I am wondering what "25 key per floor" mean? Anyone?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 11:25 PM

What do you use keys to open?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
As I am looking at the Hard Rock hotel rendering again, I am wondering what "25 key per floor" mean? Anyone?
25 rooms per floor.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
that hotel that should have been built back in 2016 (i think) was beautiful.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
25 rooms per floor.
LOL
That makes sense!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 1:57 AM

I am curious why that was important to put, if that's what it means; 25 rooms per floor. Interesting.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:28 AM

Quote:
I am curious why that was important to put, if that's what it means; 25 rooms per floor. Interesting.
It’s just a construct that’s not widely used. Cost per key and keys per floor are two examples.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio