HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 10:25 PM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
Happened to walk by this the other day and can confirm that it is the 1064 Mission project, and foundation work is underway.
so glad to hear about this one - I had forgotten about it. looking around for some additional background to what Pedestrian already provided, I found a different rendering here:

and what a relief - I was gonna have a fit if there weren't some orange and yellow highlights on it

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 11:56 PM

I love the colors tbh. Really brightens up the area

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 12:12 AM

Sorry if I'm reposting this but https://missionrock.com/ has a rendering of basically all of the proposed projects that we have in SF

A future that I hope to see soon...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Two other prominent examples of façadism downtown are the massive front of The Emporium at the Westfield San Francisco Centre and the former PG&E substation at the Contemporary Jewish Museum. To my knowledge, 345 California doesn’t have any, at least not that is prominent or very noticeable. 706 Mission and the old structure across from it at the St. Regis are both questionable since the entire structures were retained with the floors and incorporated into their new tower developments, though interior partitions removed.
Viewguy, thanks for weighing in. As to 345 California, I always thought the historic buildings on each corner were part of the project conception. As to the Contemporary Jewish Museum, I might object. The old substation is still the main feature of the building and the smallish Libeskind addition is there to jazz things up, so to speak, not the other way around as in most facadism.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 5:15 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

No, 345 Cal does not include any of the older buildings on the corners. It is SF's tallest mid-block tower.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
No, 345 Cal does not include any of the older buildings on the corners. It is SF's tallest mid-block tower.
I stand corrected.

How about 350 Bush, the Mining Exchange Building?

How about, for lack of a better term, reverse facadism, that is, preserving an interior and building a new building around it? First that comes to mind is Niemann Marcus. Maybe the Westfield Mall is both facadism and reverse facadism?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 6:05 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
Viewguy, thanks for weighing in. As to 345 California, I always thought the historic buildings on each corner were part of the project conception. As to the Contemporary Jewish Museum, I might object. The old substation is still the main feature of the building and the smallish Libeskind addition is there to jazz things up, so to speak, not the other way around as in most facadism.
The historic buildings on the four corners of 345 California Center were part of the original plan, but are not facades. The Robert Dollar Building at California and Battery was shaved on the west side and the JH Dollar Building at California and Sansome was shaved on the east side to create the main entryway into the new mid block tower. 220 Sansome and 200 Pine were retained on the back side.

The former PG&E power substation at the Contemporary Jewish Museum is definitely façadism since only its walls were retained while a completely new structure was built behind them. It’s irrelevant as to how big or small a facade is if it’s only the exterior walls of what was once an actual free standing building.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 6:14 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
How about 350 Bush, the Mining Exchange Building?

How about, for lack of a better term, reverse facadism, that is, preserving an interior and building a new building around it? First that comes to mind is Niemann Marcus. Maybe the Westfield Mall is both facadism and reverse facadism?
What is reverse façadism? I’ve never heard of it. The old Mining Exchange at 350 Bush is again an example of façadism. Only its exterior walls were retained while an entirely new foundation was built under them and new structure built behind them. The interior is a pseudo reproduction. The Emporium facade is only the standing wall on Market Street, nothing more. The Bloomingdales portion of the Westfield San Francisco Centre is an entirely new structure from the foundation up. As we know, The Emporium dome was also retained, having been jacked up on steel supports to eventually rest atop the new building at a higher elevation than it previously was. It’s also interesting to note that the escalators from the first to the second floor on the Market Street side are also the rebuilt originals that were retained. There are a few other historic elements that were incorporated into the new building, including portions of two staircases that are not generally accessible to the public. I have been all over that project and behind the scenes on many occassions.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 4:56 AM

Serif (Does it have its own thread?)

---

Near Union Square (Sorry, I don't know the name of the project)

===
5M

Last edited by gillynova; Aug 9, 2020 at 3:12 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
---

Near Union Square (Sorry, I don't know the name of the project)
old Macy's Men's Store?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
old Macy's Men's Store?
Ahhh, I believe you're right pseudolus! I'm not really familiar with smaller projects around the city

I looked it up and it's this project

Source: https://socketsite.com/archives/2018...-approval.html

--

The project on 72 Ellis Street is rising too! I didn't really know much about this project

https://socketsite.com/archives/2018...o-reality.html

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Ahhh, I believe you're right pseudolus!
there's a first time for everything

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 12:31 PM
heavy user of walkability

this was in May...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
and now:

Quote:
After decades of trying, SF supervisors finally approve 1,100 homes at Balboa Reservoir

The Balboa Reservoir — now a parking lot for students at City College of San Francisco — will be developed into 1,100 units of housing, 550 of them affordable.

San Francisco’s west side will get its biggest influx of housing in several decades, after the Board of Supervisors Tuesday approved more than 1,000 new units on the Balboa Reservoir site.

The board voted to rezone the 17-acre property off Ocean Avenue. The agreement allows the developers —Bridge Housing, AvalonBay and Mission Housing — to build 1,100 units of housing, 550 of them affordable, on the lot. The property now is used as a parking lot for City College of San Francisco students.

Of the 550 affordable units, 150 will be set aside for City College teachers and staff. The project will also include a community center, 4 acres of open space, a 100-slot child-care center — 50% of those would be set aside for low-income families — and $10 million in fees for transit and infrastructure improvements.

Tuesday’s approval caps off a decades-long effort that began in the 1960s to turn the empty lot into housing. San Francisco Mayors Dianne Feinstein and Art Agnos were stymied by neighborhood opposition and resistance from City College staff and students looking to preserve the land for future expansion.

Before the board approved the project, dozens of City College faculty leaders and students spoke out against the project, both at a Monday news conference and at Tuesday’s board meeting. Some called for 100% affordable housing on the site or, at the very least, more than the 150 units currently allotted for City College teachers and staff.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Serif (Does it have its own thread?)
I did a search and couldn't find one. The address is 950 Market and it would probably be titled that. It barely qualifies for a thread at 12 floors--projects are supposed to be 120 ft or taller.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 12:27 PM

I really like it when they infuse color into projects like they did with the first photo on this page. Helps to brighten up any city and even more so those that often have a lot of gray days.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 5:55 PM
Build Baby Build

The Ferry Building has a new plaza. They opened up the plaza being built as part of the expansion project this past Monday.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 5:59 PM

Thanks for the update, fimiak! I will try to check it out this weekend

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN/WI View Post
I really like it when they infuse color into projects like they did with the first photo on this page. Helps to brighten up any city and even more so those that often have a lot of gray days.
The use of yellow/orange highlights in modern SF midrises is kind of an in joke it is so common. That's why timbad said he would have a "fit" if the one in question didn't have it--a little humor there.

Turning my head and looking out the window I see a classic of the genre:

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 10:09 PM
你的媽媽

The use of pastel, or slightly bolder pastel tones is not new to SF housing. I think it pays homage to the classic SF palette nicely, although bright neon is a bit much.

https://www.dreamstime.com/aerial-vi...image135819984

https://www.123rf.com/photo_11334503...alifornia.html

https://unsplash.com/s/photos/lombard-street

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
The use of pastel, or slightly bolder pastel tones is not new to SF housing. I think it pays homage to the classic SF palette nicely, although bright neon is a bit much.
I think we do this because most of the low/mid-rise architecture is stucco, not brick like in eastern cities so we have to add the color with paint (rather than have it be natural from the color of bricks which ranges from yellow to red also).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations