HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1121  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 9:10 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
To be fair, BC didn't actually end up doing anything to block the pipeline or it's product despite their bluster. Neither has Alberta, yet. If we do, that's when the game changes.
The feds did today (or was it yesterday?) by announcing another 3.5 week delay. It's so frickin' obvious that they and B.C. are trying to cripple our economy. Name me one democracy where the federal government is fixated on destroying a region for political gain? If the Liberals get reelected this is going to result in a lot worse than a constitutional crisis.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1122  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 9:28 PM
ciudad_del_norte's Avatar
ciudad_del_norte ciudad_del_norte is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amiskwaciwâskahikan
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
The feds did today (or was it yesterday?) by announcing another 3.5 week delay. It's so frickin' obvious that they and B.C. are trying to cripple our economy. Name me one democracy where the federal government is fixated on destroying a region for political gain? If the Liberals get reelected this is going to result in a lot worse than a constitutional crisis.
Or..maybe they are just following the government process? It doesn't seem at unreasonable to have an environmental review, and it doesn't seem unreasonable that such a review would take time. I understand that this has been a bit bumpy and slower than many would prefer - but It seems like a bit of a jump to assume that it is some nefarious conspiracy against Alberta.

I don't see where the supposed political gain is for destroying Alberta. Many other regions in Canada may not be willing to step in to defend/help Alberta, but I don't think there are many votes to be gained for expressly "destroying a region".

Many other regions may be irritated with Alberta because...well provincially we tend to behave a bit like spoiled brat. And yes, there may be people out there that would actively like to see Alberta be knocked down a bit because of that. But I have a hard time believing that a bunch of people in Quebec, Ontario, BC are about to vote for party because they feel like they have "destroyed Alberta". It actually seems a bit arrogant to me to assume that Alberta is going to factor into many political decisions that aren't in Alberta. Furthermore, the Liberals have actually been supportive of the pipeline - to the point of buying it. To me it seems like this has actually risked their support in BC with little to gain in Alberta where people are never going to vote for them.

They aren't out to get us, they are trying to balance the interests of a country and that means not everything is for/about us.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1123  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 9:59 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
Or..maybe they are just following the government process? It doesn't seem at unreasonable to have an environmental review, and it doesn't seem unreasonable that such a review would take time. I understand that this has been a bit bumpy and slower than many would prefer - but It seems like a bit of a jump to assume that it is some nefarious conspiracy against Alberta.

I don't see where the supposed political gain is for destroying Alberta. Many other regions in Canada may not be willing to step in to defend/help Alberta, but I don't think there are many votes to be gained for expressly "destroying a region".

Many other regions may be irritated with Alberta because...well provincially we tend to behave a bit like spoiled brat. And yes, there may be people out there that would actively like to see Alberta be knocked down a bit because of that. But I have a hard time believing that a bunch of people in Quebec, Ontario, BC are about to vote for party because they feel like they have "destroyed Alberta". It actually seems a bit arrogant to me to assume that Alberta is going to factor into many political decisions that aren't in Alberta. Furthermore, the Liberals have actually been supportive of the pipeline - to the point of buying it. To me it seems like this has actually risked their support in BC with little to gain in Alberta where people are never going to vote for them.

They aren't out to get us, they are trying to balance the interests of a country and that means not everything is for/about us.
You make it sound like no environmental review has been done on this project. It's been reviewed to death and don't forget that Justin keeps moving the goalposts on us. In the meantime they have no problem approving other projects that are way worse environmentally. Give your head a shake--they are doing everything to destroy the energy industry and by extension AB. Canada is not a normal nation where every region works together to improve the lot of all. We're a nation held back by jealousy. You see it daily in this forum. Time to face facts--enough people in this nation are lazy greedy fucks who are jealous as hell and will vote for a party that will knock down those doing better than them. It's sad but it's true.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1124  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 10:24 PM
ciudad_del_norte's Avatar
ciudad_del_norte ciudad_del_norte is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amiskwaciwâskahikan
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
You make it sound like no environmental review has been done on this project. It's been reviewed to death and don't forget that Justin keeps moving the goalposts on us. In the meantime they have no problem approving other projects that are way worse environmentally. Give your head a shake--they are doing everything to destroy the energy industry and by extension AB. Canada is not a normal nation where every region works together to improve the lot of all. We're a nation held back by jealousy. You see it daily in this forum. Time to face facts--enough people in this nation are lazy greedy fucks who are jealous as hell and will vote for a party that will knock down those doing better than them. It's sad but it's true.
Wow. Um..okay.

I'm still pretty sure that the majority of Canadians are much more interested in their own local issues (which may include trying to put a pipeline in their backyard) than they are in directing politics because of a twisted jealous vendetta.

I don't think there is any amount of head shaking that is going to get me to that level of paranoid victim-hood.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1125  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 10:35 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
Wow. Um..okay.

I'm still pretty sure that the majority of Canadians are much more interested in their own local issues (which may include trying to put a pipeline in their backyard) than they are in directing politics because of a twisted jealous vendetta.

I don't think there is any amount of head shaking that is going to get me to that level of paranoid victim-hood.
You must be rather young because we've gone through this before with the NEP. When AB stood up to Ottawa things changed and got a lot better for everyone. Waiting for the Liberals to do the right thing on their own is not going to happen, especially with this government. And what makes you think people aren't concerned about the national economy, deficit, etc.? The ones who are will definitely take this into account.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1126  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 1:36 AM
kel's Avatar
kel kel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Alberta
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
Wow. Um..okay.

I'm still pretty sure that the majority of Canadians are much more interested in their own local issues (which may include trying to put a pipeline in their backyard) than they are in directing politics because of a twisted jealous vendetta.

I don't think there is any amount of head shaking that is going to get me to that level of paranoid victim-hood.
Pipeline is already in there backyard.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1127  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 3:42 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,286
Those who watched Jason's speech upon will recall him having polished Quebec Premier Legault's knob, including speaking in French, however ...

Quebec not impressed with Alberta Premier-designate Jason Kenney’s pipeline plea
https://globalnews.ca/news/5176723/q...enney-legault/

Quote:
“What is not acceptable is when…he says, ‘you better do this, or else we’ll do something about [equalization] transfers,'” said Carlos Leitao, former finance minister and current official opposition critic for finance.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ines-1.5101793
"Regarding other pipelines, there is no social acceptability"

It seems Jason's thunder is already dissipating. We had heard from numerous commentators that most of what Jason is selling is snake oil, pitching those things as a counterbalance to shifting a massive tax burden onto the poor to further enrich the wealthy. This is all materializing now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1128  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 7:10 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Those who watched Jason's speech upon will recall him having polished Quebec Premier Legault's knob, including speaking in French, however ...

Quebec not impressed with Alberta Premier-designate Jason Kenney’s pipeline plea
https://globalnews.ca/news/5176723/q...enney-legault/



https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ines-1.5101793
"Regarding other pipelines, there is no social acceptability"

It seems Jason's thunder is already dissipating. We had heard from numerous commentators that most of what Jason is selling is snake oil, pitching those things as a counterbalance to shifting a massive tax burden onto the poor to further enrich the wealthy. This is all materializing now.
Are you making up quotes now? That greedy loser Liberal opposition dude did not say what you claim he did.

Jason's thunder is only dissipating in the minds of left-wing journalists who can't over the fact that despite making up vile claims about what he plans on doing that he still got overwhelmingly elected. Suburbia, the days of the left-wing media influencing how people vote are over. The silent majority is now woke in the "we're not going to get fucked over anymore" sense.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1129  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 10:05 PM
PPAR's Avatar
PPAR PPAR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
The feds did today (or was it yesterday?) by announcing another 3.5 week delay. It's so frickin' obvious that they and B.C. are trying to cripple our economy. Name me one democracy where the federal government is fixated on destroying a region for political gain? If the Liberals get reelected this is going to result in a lot worse than a constitutional crisis.
This reasoning is not only wrong, it is dangerous.

Only a fool believes that the Federal cabinet sat down and thought “hey guys, let’s screw Alberta for another week 3 weeks!”.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1130  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 10:20 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAR View Post
This reasoning is not only wrong, it is dangerous.

Only a fool believes that the Federal cabinet sat down and thought “hey guys, let’s screw Alberta for another week 3 weeks!”.
Only a fool that doesn't know his history would think I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1131  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 11:26 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,167
You guys realize that Kenny has stated he agrees with the delay right?
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1132  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 11:38 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
You guys realize that Kenny has stated he agrees with the delay right?
Yes. I believe he also said he's deeply disappointed in the decision. Given that he's not in power yet he really didn't have much choice but to play it cool. After he's sworn in I think it would be best if he constantly reinforces that the federal government has said they want this project to proceed and that the review is being done under their rules. If the project doesn't get approved on June 18 then he should start taking immediate action.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1133  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 1:20 AM
Doug's Avatar
Doug Doug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 9,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Only a fool that doesn't know his history would think I'm wrong.
A decision in June would put the 2019 construction season at risk, so the project would slip for a third year. Much past June and it will overlap the election cycle. The slip seems too convenient.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1134  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 9:37 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Are you making up quotes now? That greedy loser Liberal opposition dude did not say what you claim he did.
What are you talking about dude? That is what the Quebec Premier said.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1135  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 3:29 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 6,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
A decision in June would put the 2019 construction season at risk, so the project would slip for a third year. Much past June and it will overlap the election cycle. The slip seems too convenient.
Even with the cabinet approval the court challenges will delay this until at least next year. A lot of the pipe is already staged. so the work will start in the lower mainland first I believe. It is also where you will have the most delays due to protests.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1136  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 3:48 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Yup they've got a massive laydown area just north of Kamloops that's stack full of pipe and another one in Edson. I believe that the twining and service road construction being done at Darfield on Hwy 5 north of Barriere is for the pipeline expansion as well, as there's a big pumping station there.

There will almost certainly be court challenges following the NEB ruling.
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1137  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 4:25 PM
Doug's Avatar
Doug Doug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 9,499
Lengthy Post article:
https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...nces-divisions

A couple of interesting excerpts:

The new government will be working off a “Mountain West” strategy. Imagine standing on one of the peaks of the Rockies and looking down the western corridor of North America, beyond Alberta’s borders and through Idaho and Colorado, for businesses that may be inclined to move some of their operations up north.

For all the attention paid to the pipeline file, the UCP is also focused on highly mobile companies, like tech and banking firms, that could move their headquarters without blinking an eye. A major firm that established a home base in Calgary or Edmonton, they reason, is within striking distance of the more expensive U.S. west coast and mountain states with a cheap, quick flight. It’s just three hours, for example, from Calgary to San Francisco and Silicon Valley.


Part of that online world is the media website PressProgress, which is funded by the Broadbent Institute, a think tank sympathetic to the New Democratic Party.

It’s hard to overstate the role PressProgress played in the election campaign that just concluded, and the magnitude of the challenges it presented for the UCP. Many of the stories about UCP candidates that resulted in embarrassment, apologies or resignations originated on the PressProgress website and then trickled into mainstream outlets through social media.

Kenney said his civil libertarian instincts make him uneasy about the idea of media regulation, but added, “having said that, it’s not a legit media outlet.”
Because PressProgress functions as a “de facto political action committee,” he said, the salaries of the people working there should be included under the $2-million electoral spending cap during the writ period brought in by the NDP government.

“As far as I’m concerned, PressProgress is a de facto third-party advertiser. The NDP, if they can’t get mainstream media to pick up on their research, they just email it over to PressProgress to breathlessly write it up.”
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1138  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 5:14 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,501
but post media execs in ontario overriding local editors to endorse and propagate for the UCP isn't an issue?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1139  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 5:32 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,167
If the articles written are properly researched and accurate, then there should be no de facto media regulation, regardless of which party it benefits.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1140  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 6:59 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,501
who gets to decide what's properly researched and accurate
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:58 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.