HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 9:28 PM
tgannaway89 tgannaway89 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Midland/San Antonio
Posts: 379
Higher education in SA strengthening

http://www.mysanantonio.com/guide_to_sa/54152312.html

A&M will draw $40 million in bonds for a new university on the South Side. A new bill will allow UTSA to compete for more funding in order to reach tier 1 status. Even in hard economic times our local higher education schools can't be stopped.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/guide_to_sa/54152312.html
__________________
WATCH TV
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 9:26 PM
DruidCity's Avatar
DruidCity DruidCity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Tuscaloosa,AL
Posts: 3,381
That is great. One of the things I've been most impressed with since my brother took a job at Texas State is what a cooperative spirit there is among the different colleges and universities. It seems like there's plenty of growth to go around, without cannibalization of programs.
I can add that Texas State expects their all-time record enrollment this fall.
__________________
Also representing San Marcos,TX and Baldwin Co, AL
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 9:28 PM
kornbread kornbread is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Even in hard economic times our local higher education schools can't be stopped.
It's great to hear that the local colleges are doing well; becoming more of an option for Texans seeking a college degree.

However, what San Anonio really needs to be working on is getting graduation rates up in the local high schools. That is the major problem that needs to be addressed. It would be nice to see a leader in the community carry the torch and try to turn things around in the next 5 to 10 years.

Unfortunately, you have someone like USAA asking for tax breaks from the school districts anytime they develop locally. Geeez, invest in your own community for crying out loud
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 12:51 AM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,220
I agree, it's high schools and middle schools where it matters most. These kids are most impressionable.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 11:56 AM
TXlifeguard TXlifeguard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Unfortunately, you have someone like USAA asking for tax breaks from the school districts anytime they develop locally. Geeez, invest in your own community for crying out loud
Can't speak for any of the other school districts in town, but when I worked for Northside a few years back I learned that it was district(board?) policy to no longer grant tax abatements. I believe the last one was circa 1990, I think for Fiesta Texas- developed by a USAA partnership (maybe what kornbread was referring to). I don't know if Northside got burned by the last abatement or they don't want the drama new abatements would cause when they ask voters to approve additional bond packages for construction and renovations as they do every few years.
__________________
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 5:41 AM
Panini Panini is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
http://www.mysanantonio.com/guide_to_sa/54152312.html

A&M will draw $40 million in bonds for a new university on the South Side. A new bill will allow UTSA to compete for more funding in order to reach tier 1 status. Even in hard economic times our local higher education schools can't be stopped.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/guide_to_sa/54152312.html
It is overall a very fine thing that San Antonio is seeing a growth in its public universities. We need it. We have long been seen as a "blue-collar", and not very intellectual, town. But this city serves a substantial part of South Texas. It is time for us to serve the educational needs of its people. We have a fine medical campus (UTHSCSA) but we need to improve our public universities (read UTSA, and proposed TAMU at SA).

Incidentally, San Antonio will be the only city in Texas with a campus from each major component of our public universities. These are: a Health Science Center, a UT campus and a TAMU campus. We should be fully behind our public schools in their attempt to make San Antonio a premier center for education in Texas. One day, in addition to tourism, people should also come here to be educated in our public universities.

I hear mutters from UTSA faculty about the "competition" from the proposed TAMU campus on the South side. Competition that is, for both students and state funds. But as a UTSA faculty member I welcome the new TAMU campus. There is nothing to be afraid of! We will have to work harder and better to serve the people of this region. We will have to demonstrate our competence and our ability to remain competitive in order to seek state funds. This will be good for all of us. UTSA has a head-start over the proposed TAMU campus, but UTSA has to reach further and try harder. It is time for UTSA to focus on excellence in teaching and research. It is time to make San Antonio synonymous with "Education" and not just the Alamo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 4:03 PM
necropolis necropolis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panini View Post
It is overall a very fine thing that San Antonio is seeing a growth in its public universities. We need it. We have long been seen as a "blue-collar", and not very intellectual, town. But this city serves a substantial part of South Texas. It is time for us to serve the educational needs of its people. We have a fine medical campus (UTHSCSA) but we need to improve our public universities (read UTSA, and proposed TAMU at SA).

Incidentally, San Antonio will be the only city in Texas with a campus from each major component of our public universities. These are: a Health Science Center, a UT campus and a TAMU campus. We should be fully behind our public schools in their attempt to make San Antonio a premier center for education in Texas. One day, in addition to tourism, people should also come here to be educated in our public universities.

I hear mutters from UTSA faculty about the "competition" from the proposed TAMU campus on the South side. Competition that is, for both students and state funds. But as a UTSA faculty member I welcome the new TAMU campus. There is nothing to be afraid of! We will have to work harder and better to serve the people of this region. We will have to demonstrate our competence and our ability to remain competitive in order to seek state funds. This will be good for all of us. UTSA has a head-start over the proposed TAMU campus, but UTSA has to reach further and try harder. It is time for UTSA to focus on excellence in teaching and research. It is time to make San Antonio synonymous with "Education" and not just the Alamo.
A poignant, well written, and deserved statement
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 9:29 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,220
A very well written statement indeed Panini.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 1:29 AM
miaht82's Avatar
miaht82 miaht82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Triangle
Posts: 1,316
Record Enrollments at local Schools

School Enrollment Fall 2009
UTSA 29,133 + 2.5%
  • Graduate - 3200 + 179 from 2008
  • Doctoral - 555 + 85 from 2008
UIW 7,176 + 7% from '08
ACCD 60,366 + 11.9% from '08
The breakdown:
  • San Antonio College, 22,028 - up 7.9 percent over the fall 2008
  • Northwest Vista College, 14,555 - up 21.7 percent over the fall 2008
  • St. Philip’s College, 10,282 - up 6.9 percent over the fall 2008
  • Palo Alto College, 8,304 - up 6.1 percent over the fall 2008
  • Northeast Lakeview College, 5,197 - up 26.3 percent over the fall 2008

Other Schools:
St. Mary´s Meets Recruitment & Retention Goals for Fall 2009
U.S. News & World Report raises OLLU’s academic standing
__________________
The Raleigh Connoisseur
It is the city trying to escape the consequences of being a city
while still remaining a city. It is urban society trying to eat its
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 6:26 PM
DruidCity's Avatar
DruidCity DruidCity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Tuscaloosa,AL
Posts: 3,381
Quote:
Record Enrollments at local Schools...
Thanks for posting. My brother's next-door neighbor is a department head at St. Philip's College, and I didn't know anything about the size of the school.

Although not an exact fit for this thread, here are the numbers for my brother's employer, Texas State-San Marcos:
Fall 2009 total enrollment : 30,816, which is up from 29,105 in fall 2008.
Included in that are 4,198 graduate students, an increase of 12.1 percent over 2008.

My brother's department fully doubled in size over the last year.
__________________
Also representing San Marcos,TX and Baldwin Co, AL
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:27 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.