HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 7:42 PM

With Gold now trading at around $1,000 an oz, we are probably lucky to get what we have.

Last edited by micropundit; Mar 13, 2008 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropundit View Post
With Gold now trading at around $1,000 an once, we are probably lucky to get what we have.
No kidding. And somebody actually called it "cheap".

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 9:00 PM

I take that back, I was probably a mile away, so I didnt look at the base. However, it still looked pretty impressive, thin, sleek, etc.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 2:00 AM

LOL. Do you really think it's made of GOLD? If it is, I'll eat my hat but I'm betting it isn't.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 8:21 PM

Hotel butlers will offer high-end pampering

By LEON STAFFORD
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/01/08

The Rosewood hotel in Buckhead is giving its guests the white-glove treatment.

Literally.

When the hotel opened May 1, it became the first lodging in Atlanta to offer butlers, and they sport tuxedos and white gloves.

The Rosewood — more formally known as the Mansion on Peachtree, a Rosewood Hotel & Residence — hopes to take luxury to a new level in a market that has been dominated by the Four Seasons, the Ritz-Carlton and the InterContinental.

By offering butlers, a complimentary service to all guests, the hotel hopes to position itself to receive a prestigious five-star allocation by Mobil Travel Guide or five diamonds from AAA. Getting a five-star or five-diamond designation can translate into higher room rates and entree into the exclusive ranks of the mega-luxurious.

Butlers employed by Dallas-based Rosewood went through extensive training in March, including lessons with an instructor flown in from Australia. Josephine Ive, who puts butlers through their paces worldwide, taught the Rosewood staff skills ranging from setting a table to selecting a cigar. She took them to high-end shops like Neiman Marcus and Tiffany & Co., so they'd know the go-to salespeople — whether a guest needs a pair of $300 Gucci sneakers or a $275,000, 18-karat gold Schlumberger brooch.

The butlers themselves are top shelf. They are expected to be courteous, attentive, efficient, polished and impeccably groomed, among other qualities. Ive told them there was nothing wrong with taking a few minutes during their shift to touch up their appearance, including having their garments cleaned or pressed.

According to payscale.com, butlers in the United States, including those who work in private homes, can earn up to $80,000 a year, depending on experience and where they work.

And if you think it's easy money, consider some things they have to remember:

Don't be "be-trayed:" If you have a tray with handles, carry it by its handles. If it doesn't, carry it with your hand placed flat underneath. And the elbow is always at your waistline to avoid hand strain.

Salt of the Earth: In a place setting, salt goes on the right, pepper on the left. People were once paid in salt, which is considered good because it comes from the word salary. Pepper, which can be used as a weapon, is placed on the left, which in many societies is considered bad.

No, you really are important: Shhhh, I'm not supposed to tell, but the phrase starvation alley refers to the last couple of guests served. Even when you sit at the big table, there is a hierarchy.

Every inch counts: Get out your measuring stick. When setting a table, the finest butlers will measure to make sure each plate is in exactly the same distance from the table's edge, usually an inch.

Thank you, y'all come back now: A nice note to a guest can almost make spending at least $450 -to-$3,000 a night and up worthwhile. A kind word for a birthday, anniversary or a good-bye should be brief and have a personal touch. No form letter writers need apply here.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 9:23 PM

Night photo with new exterior lighting

Photos taken Friday 5-09-08;

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 9:55 PM
Back on the road again

sweet, Joe....sweet. That topping doesn't look quite so bad with the new exterior lighting...I like it!

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsatlbldr View Post
Photos taken Friday 5-09-08;

Nice photos, Joe! The new lighting looks odd to me. I think its because the new stuff doesn't match the top. It just looks like they forgot to add the gels to the lights...

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 12:25 AM
Tribune in all her glory.

Wow, I love it! The top would look better with the whiter lights, though.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 1:04 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

The lighting looks great!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 1:18 AM

There is a good reason why painters won't allow their works to be seen until they are finished. The Mansion is yet another object lesson in the wisdom of withholding judgment until a project is complete. Perhaps these successful, highly-paid architects aren't as incompetent and stupid as we amateurs might have thought they were!

Congratulations to Stern Architects and to Holder Construction. This is a very beautiful building.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 3:46 PM

MarketsWork - This is one of the rare times when I will have to disagree with you. The building looks very incomplete when you drive by it. At night it looks DECENT; however, during the day, it's ugly IMO. The top looks like gold painted plywood and temporary.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 10:41 PM

My point wasn't really about wheter the building was good or bad, but about the practical wisdom of withholding judgment on a project until it is finished. I agree with you about the top in daylight, though is seems like it would be such a simple thing to improve. I really like the building overall -- and especially at night.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 2:48 AM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2390 View Post
Wow, I love it! The top would look better with the whiter lights, though.
The lights are white....they're just lighting up a gold surface....

And while I agree that the new lighting scheme looks phenomenal, I can't help but feel like the residents and guests won't be too happy with those bright spotlights shining directly into their windows....

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 5:39 PM

Gorgeous at night!

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 7:03 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Gorgeous at night!
Ditto! Way to finish off well.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 3:47 AM
Tribune in all her glory.

Of course credits go to Joe on this pic, but I was kind of messing around with the crown and I came up with this late 80s/early 90s Atlantaesque crown.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 1:53 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Thumbs up 6/5/08 Update

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 2:53 PM

completed

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive