HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 12:27 AM

Iconic Building Wanted

We must remember, that CPS top officials want an "iconic skyscraper" to grace the San Antonio skyline!
I'm not negative and thinking 5 stories, I'm thinking an "iconic skyscraper"!!!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 7:28 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I was at the Pints and Politics mayoral debate last night, and someone asked Mayor Taylor about the Frost tower status.

She stated things have been progressing very well lately and that Sculley texted her a few hours before with some good news.

She mentioned that they'd get something in front of council in a few weeks.

People applauded, but no more follow up questions after that

Excerpt from Rivard Report article:

"At one point in the evening, Mayor Ivy Taylor made news when she answered a question about Public-Private Partnerships (P3) as a vehicle for downtown development of vacant buildings and underutilized properties. The mayor said the City is moving forward with Weston Urban-Frost Bank’s proposed P3 project, and this week City Council will be briefed in closed executive session on developments as the parties near agreement on the financial details. The project, if realized, would represent the biggest wave of downtown development in 25 years and give the skyline its first new office tower in as many years."

Last edited by afi2003; Apr 15, 2015 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 4:23 PM

Finally a nice sunny clear morning. Haven't posted a convention center update in a while since the weather hasn't been to nice.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 4:42 PM

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 1:26 AM

Only 43 condos remain at the Grand Hyatt. Pretty impressive since a one bedroom starts in the 300k range.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 9:35 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

This is a 220-unit residential development planned for the Turner bowling site in River North next to the VFW.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 1:05 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
This is a 220-unit residential development planned for the Turner bowling site in River North next to the VFW.

Cheers for infill.

Jeers for homogeneity.

Beggars can't be choosers...but could we get a project that is distinct is it's visual identity?

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
Cheers for infill.

Jeers for homogeneity.

Beggars can't be choosers...but could we get a project that is distinct is it's visual identity?
I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw those renderings yesterday. "Haven't I seen this before?" I feel like a lot of these are just meh! But like you said, beggars can't be choosers.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 1:05 PM

Here is an updated rendering of Southtown Flats at Probandt and Cevallos

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot Yancey View Post
Here is an updated rendering of Southtown Flats at Probandt and Cevallos

this is cool!

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 4:45 PM

Dog park at Maverick Park

It seems fundraising/crowdfunding is under way for the new dog park at Maverick Park:

http://www.therivardreport.com/crowd...g-to-the-dogs/

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 4:54 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

http://www.mysanantonio.com/food/res...th-6248639.php

Never cared for the restaurant, but the article mentions that the property is being bought by a developer, which I suspect is Gray Street Partners (the group that bought half of Houston street last week) that has their sign on the vacant building next door .

A quick search on BCAD shows that GRAYSTREET BROADWAY LP owns that car lot at Casablanca/Broadway, plus that Limo rental service next to the ex-Tuk Tuk. Sounds like they're up to something.

Edit: They own even more land in Midtown than I thought. Go to BCAD Property Search and put in "Graystreet" in property owner. Among other things, they own pretty much all the land around Tuk Tuk, plus that old carwash at Newell/Broadway. Yep, definitely up to something.

Edit 2: http://www.sacurrent.com/Blogs/archi...close-this-may

"We had 2 choices: Be the lone hold-out or close at our current location. A year later, we have chosen to become a part of the inevitable, amazing development that will be the block of 1700 Broadway". So I guess we'll be hearing about something at 1700 Broadway sometime in the next year. It looks like they have a fair amount of land bundled together, so it could be a pretty major project.

Last edited by Keep-SA-Lame; May 7, 2015 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 9:21 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I just want to make a quick comment regarding downtown and urban core activity.

To use a metaphor. the volcano is spewing gas and smoke. This thing is about to erupt, big time.

Frost HQ is just the beginning.

There will be second tower for CPS.

Multiple high-rise hotels including the Fish building hotel tower, AC Hotel, and one at Hemisfair. More will come.

Speaking of Hemisfair, that's a game changer for downtown.

Then there's the San Pedro Creek development that will completely transform the western portion of downtown and as a result, all of downtown.

Remember the name Gray Street. Local investment firm with big time money investors who are about to make a name for themselves.

They just bought the 7 properties for sale on Houston St. They have very ambitious plans for Houston Street.

They also own a cluster of properties in the Lower Broadway area of Midtown next to the Pearl. They just bought out Tuk Tuk Taproom and I know for sure they have a sizable mixed-use development planned for 1700 Broadway and additional adjacent buildings.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 5:47 PM

It's Here!!!

Quote:

To use a metaphor. the volcano is spewing gas and smoke. This thing is about to erupt, big time.

Multiple high-rise hotels including the Fish building hotel tower, AC Hotel, and one at Hemisfair. More will come.

Then there's the San Pedro Creek development that will completely transform the western portion of downtown and as a result, all of downtown.

Remember the name Gray Street. Local investment firm with big time money investors who are about to make a name for themselves.

They just bought the 7 properties for sale on Houston St. They have very ambitious plans for Houston Street.

They also own a cluster of properties in the Lower Broadway area of Midtown next to the Pearl. They just bought out Tuk Tuk Taproom and I know for sure they have a sizable mixed-use development planned for 1700 Broadway and additional adjacent buildings.

I couldn't agree with you more!!! It's here and it's about to explode!

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 6:07 PM
Paradise

Quote:

Hmm. This is very interesting. So CPS wants to build two towers? I don't want to get too optimistic, but you know the time may actually be coming for downtown SA. I mean the purchase of properties downtown and interest from developers is something to note. Like I said, I don't want to get carried away but I feel like something big is coming...

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 7:45 PM

@Alice. CPS is wanting to build an additional tower to the proposed Frost tower.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 8:23 PM
Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
@Alice. CPS is wanting to build an additional tower to the proposed Frost tower.
Oh I see, thanks. Still can't wait to see both Frost and CPS towers get built. I'm very curious about what Gray Street has planned as well.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 2:51 AM

I'm not a dog owner, but this seems like a good idea:

Dog park at Maverick in the works
Posted on May 12, 2015 | BY BENJAMIN OLIVO
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...-in-the-works/
Quote:
Maverick Park, which for decades served as the home of a Southern Pacific steam locomotive, has been one of those underachieving public spaces for years...

...Now, as the area along upper Broadway continues to fill in with more and more apartments, a small team of nearby residents, business leaders and property owners want to convert about half of the three-acre Maverick into a dog park. And they need you’re help.
It would be nice to see some street activity. If the retail is not filling in, you can always count on dog owners. Hopefully there are enough who actually clean-up after their dogs.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 1:55 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Does downtown really need another dog park? The one at madison square is nice, but it's also pretty underutilized.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Does downtown really need another dog park? The one at madison square is nice, but it's also pretty underutilized.
The more the better. Promoting community building is always a net positive for a neighborhood. It deters loitering and criminal activity, it incentivizes further development and new residents to an area, and in a city with an obesity epidemic, it promotes healthy outdoor activity.

As a practical matter, it will help transform a dour park used for little more than homeless naps into an attractive exciting gathering spot for the burgeoning neighborhoods around it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio