HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
I wonder why Frost bank that was born in S.A. and became what it is today, mostly because of this community, the biggest bank in the state, but builds a landmark tower in Austin before S.A.? That's why I label Austin a brat. I think there is some power blocking S.A. from building upward.
Frost Bank did not build a landmark tower they simple leased the naming rights of the tower.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Let's look at reality...Austin is young and talented. It's population growth consists of "young people." In addition, those "young people" are making money and want to live in an urban environment with international recognition. Yes, we can build and create an urban environment with international recognition; but, Austin has us beat at this moment. Yes, they do (and I am being nice here...it's far worse than most of us want to think).

With their river and university system which spits out more than 30,000 college grads a year, SA cannot compete on the young level. We are not as "cool" as they are right now. Can we gain in the future...YES! But, how long will that take?

It's up to the universities in our community to recruit more students. And the city's responsibility to enable a developer to create an environment conducive of wooing young talent to SA. If we cannot, we loose! That is the real truth and fact.

I do not know how we can and am praying that we can in the near future...otherwise we will loose out.

The truth may hurt...but it is something that can drive us to success in the future!

As much as it may "pain" me to say, and as a life-long San Antonian, I tip my hat to Austin for what they have become. I hope we can be partners in the future. San Antonio has much to learn and develop from Austin. Which is NOT a bad thing!

I love Austin and I wish we could work together with them as a "region." Nonetheless, I do not see that happening in the near future.

If British Airways chose "bratty" Austin as a destination, where the heck is our airport authority? From what I have heard, this may not be an anomaly. Rumor has it that ABIA may be in negotiations with an Asian carrier for a N/S from AUS to Asia. Where are we???
Didn't S.A. have the fastest college grad growth in the country from 2008-2012, 80k new college grads? Not bad for a city that is rarely ever recognized for its brainpower.

S.A. is a very popular U.S. destination, 30 million annual visitors. I'm sure the SACVB is working on attracting more international visitors, maybe one day will have more int'l flights. We already have two major hubs within the state to connect through to venture out from this continent. A major hub airport should have been built between SA and Austin. The San Antonio/Austin Intergalactic Airport. Lol. I was in Austin, yesterday, and I must say, I was impressed with the skyline and downtown area. It is different from S.A., and that's a good thing, both cities have their own brand and sense of place.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Mar 20, 2015 at 2:10 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 3:26 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
I wonder why Frost bank that was born in S.A. and became what it is today, mostly because of this community, the biggest bank in the state, but builds a landmark tower in Austin before S.A.? That's why I label Austin a brat. There is some power blocking S.A. from building upward.
Yeah, San Antonio's sprawl and all of those nice low rise office parks off of 410.

This jealousy that folks here in San Antonio have of Austin is almost on the level of Memphians' jealousy toward Nashville. It's sad and funny at the same time.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Yeah, San Antonio's sprawl and all of those nice low rise office parks off of 410.

This jealousy that folks here in San Antonio have of Austin is almost on the level of Memphians' jealousy toward Nashville. It's sad and funny at the same time.
Maybe a similar rivalry but SA is no Memphis with all due respect, and does not share the same level of disparity as Memphis may have from Nashville. San Antonio is more on par with Austin in many regards, some things superior and some inferior.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Mar 20, 2015 at 4:04 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 5:22 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTexas View Post
There is certainly a boom happening in SA, but it's all relative. If you look at the numbers above that's a difference of 28,835. That's only a 70k person difference over a decade. If you look at the MSA numbers from A&M you see -

Austin
2003 – 1,376,030
2013 – 1,883,051
+ 507,021
+ 36.8%

Dallas
2003 – 5,529,247
2013 – 6,754,588
+ 1,225,341
+ 22.2%

Houston
2003 – 5,060,493
2013 – 6,340,014
+ 1,279,521
+ 25.3%

San Antonio
2003 – 1,815,846
2013 – 2,277,550
+ 461,704
+ 25.4%

We're certainly in line with the state on a percentage basis. From raw numbers, we were the slowest of the big four metros.
Just look at the percentages. San Antonio has a higher growth percentage than both Dallas and Houston and certainly one of the highest in the country. Top 5 I would imagine.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 5:25 AM

Quote:
I wonder why Frost bank that was born in S.A. and became what it is today, mostly because of this community, the biggest bank in the state, but builds a landmark tower in Austin before S.A.? That's why I label Austin a brat. There is some power blocking S.A. from building upward.
Oh geez.

Paul, we've been through this before on this forum. Frost didn't build anything. They simply leased enough space to have their name placed on the building.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 5:27 AM

Alright guys. This is the San Antonio Ubran Core Development Thread. Let's get back on topic please.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I agree somewhat. There's no telling with population projections. You can generalize it, but there are a lot of factors at play. My post was a sort of loose "what if" scenario. I honestly don't care which is the bigger one. While I'm a statistics geek, I've grown bored with worrying with comparisons. The only interesting aspect of that is trying to figure out where a place will be in a set number of years. Until I read the figures that kornbread posted, I wouldn't have been able to tell you off the top of my head what the populations were of the two.

And I totally agree with ILUVSAT. I've been saying for years that for our two regions to succeed that we need to cooperate and collaborate since our two cities do affect one another somewhat. Inter-regional rail, anyone?? I know I'd be hopping a train to San Antonio at least once a month if we had regular service between the two (Amtrak doesn't quite count).
Definitely! I agree with you Kevin, I'm becoming the same way I don’t care which one is larger. Just want both Austin and San Antonio to keep their character.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 6:19 AM
Meh

Quote:
Frost had nothing to do with the development of the Frost Bank Tower. It was a speculative office tower that Cousins Properties developed. Frost Bank took enough space in the building to earn them naming rights to the building. The building was originally called Congress at Fourth. It was originally announced in 1997, and at that time Frost Bank was never mentioned. I still have the newspaper clippings.

Besides, Paul, you guys stole Whataburger from Corpus Christi.

Frost is also taking space in other towers around the state. Dallas and Houston each have one in the 300 foot range. And oddly enough, one other high profile Frost Bank building is the one in Corpus Christi. They've occupied that building for years. At least 15 years or more. In fact, that building is taller than their headquarters in San Antonio. If I lived in San Antonio I would actually take those as good signs since it means the bank is healthy. If they're taking large chunks of space in decent buildings in other cities then I would really expect them to do something great in their hometown. Don't worry, guys, it'll happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX
Maybe a similar rivalry but SA is no Memphis with all due respect, and does not share the same level of disparity as Memphis may have from Nashville. San Antonio is more on par with Austin in many regards, some things superior and some inferior.
Hey, I read someone's comment on SkyscraperPage once who said Austin reminded him of Jackson, Mississippi. lol

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 4:11 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Alright guys. This is the San Antonio Ubran Core Development Thread. Let's get back on topic please.
Yes. Please. The Austin folks hate it when SA folks get on their forums and bloviate. The same should go for the SA forum for Austin. Stay on SA topics.

SA is an awesome city by itself. Very unique to any other city in Texas and growing at that. This size competition is ridiculous.... and lets be honest, whether stated or implied.... its always a competition on this forum. The size of the population is not what makes a city great. Its what the population does within that city is what makes a city great.

Everyone needs stop with the penis size competition.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 7:38 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Everyone needs stop with the penis size competition.
Well said, dude!

Numbers don't matter to me. What matters in this thread is our core being built up and vibrant enough to sustain different neighborhood clusters. I can't wait for this to happen.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 8:32 PM

As an Austinite, I have much love for San Antonio. There's no hate, and love all the infill going on: Pearl Brewery, Hemisfair Park, Big Tex, ect...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 12:01 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Hey, I read someone's comment on SkyscraperPage once who said Austin reminded him of Jackson, Mississippi. lol
Where did I say that San Antonio in itself was comparable to Memphis?

Reading comprehension, guys.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Where did I say that San Antonio in itself was comparable to Memphis?

Reading comprehension, guys.

You didn't say but implied that San Antonio is the Memphis of Texas and Austin the Nashville, and that it shares a similar inequality with Austin that Memphis does with Nashville. Maybe when comparing modern skyscraper development but it would be limited to that.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 12:52 AM

San Antonio's doing pretty good. It's really not fair to compare San Antonio to Austin, which is literally America's biggest boomtown at the moment and is also on the cutting edge of America's pop-culture/socio-economic zeitgeist. If SA can just buckle down on increasing population density, most everything else should fall into place.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 2:53 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
You didn't say but implied that San Antonio is the Memphis of Texas and Austin the Nashville, and that it shares a similar inequality with Austin that Memphis does with Nashville. Maybe when comparing modern skyscraper development but it would be limited to that.
That's exactly what I meant. You're right, just like you were with Frost building a tower in Austin...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 7:00 AM

Ok guys, last warning. Get back to topic or I will be deleting posts.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Ok guys, last warning. Get back to topic or I will be deleting posts.
There is nothing wrong with any of the recent posts. This has actually been one of the best and most civil San Antonio and Austin discussions in a long time.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 4:15 PM

San Antonio and Austin

So, I've been reading these posts on this thread, and they really sound comical.
In my opinion, the media especially, the newspapers is what brings the jealousy among both cities. People choose to live in San Antonio and people choose to live in Austin. On the other hand, people want to move from Austin and people want to move from San Antonio. It is a fact of life. People who aren't certain what they want in their life, look somewhere else. Anyway my point is, San Antonio and Austin are two VERY different cities. I can list all the differences, but I won't. Someone on this post said, let's keep these cities with their characters. And I agree. When you come from Austin to SA, it's a different positive feel of a city. Likewise, when you go to Austin from SA, same thing.
So, no jealousy here, I am just lucky enough to choose to live in SA and enjoy both VERY different cities! And I just wish the media would stop comparing both cities, because they will NEVER be the same!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 2:29 PM
James

We got a news report of construction around the downtown area, so that's exciting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio