HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 7:45 PM

I live nearby and walked by today. Zoning permits (dated 7/14/2014) are up the length of the site. From Utrecht to the lot next to the church. I took a picture that shows the particulars if you zoom in but am new to the forum and don't know how to post it. Any intel on when demolition will begin? And how we can ensure they maintain the current plans for the façade and we don't end up with another Symphony House?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I live nearby and walked by today. Zoning permits (dated 7/14/2014) are up the length of the site. From Utrecht to the lot next to the church. I took a picture that shows the particulars if you zoom in but am new to the forum and don't know how to post it. Any intel on when demolition will begin? And how we can ensure they maintain the current plans for the façade and we don't end up with another Symphony House?
imagine with the SLS joint venture the materials will be better - they like high end facade

Last edited by Kidphilly; Aug 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
image with the SLS joint venture the materials will be better - they like high end facade

Great. Yes, the one in Miami is nice too. Hopefully that will be enough to keep this on track. I actually like the rendering of this one better than the Miami residences.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 2:24 PM

Is is this for sure being built, or is it still Proposed/Approved?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1 View Post
Is is this for sure being built, or is it still Proposed/Approved?
It's a GO

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/47...al_hurdle.html

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 2:40 PM

Great News! I know the demo might take some time, but when this is built it will stand out nicely in its location for a long time.

Hoiipefully this will continue to spur development on this section of Broad.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 2:37 PM

From Curbed Philly. Work should begin soon

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...ernational.php

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
From Curbed Philly. Work should begin soon

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...ernational.php
Cool, thanks.
At just about 600 ft..., at this location - this one is going to look very big. Thinking of the south skyline view, coming up 95, or from Phillies game ... should really stand out.

The further south development moves down Broad the better. Broad/Washington next hopefully (I'm talking to you, Bart!).

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 4:46 PM

And from the east and west vantage points as well, since there isn't anything really tall impeding the view. I think it will even show up on the drive down (southbound) 95. I really like everything about it from what I've seen. Hard to believe it's the same guy who gave us the SH.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 7:04 PM
BANNED

you will really notice this coming north on 76 from university city. YOu really get good looks at the Drake and symphony house from that angle. We really need more hi rises east of broad so this is good. This building and the Lit brothers tower will be pretty noticeable. The 5th and walnut condo building probably wont be too noticeable. Hopefully one day there will be something as prominent (or larger) than the St. James built east of broad.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
you will really notice this coming north on 76 from university city. YOu really get good looks at the Drake and symphony house from that angle. We really need more hi rises east of broad so this is good. This building and the Lit brothers tower will be pretty noticeable. The 5th and walnut condo building probably wont be too noticeable. Hopefully one day there will be something as prominent (or larger) than the St. James built east of broad.
agree on East Broad

And yes will be much taller by the drake in this image
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dharma...-gtVPzp-4FKcxU

will also be noticeable from 95 heading south
https://www.flickr.com/photos/225165...A-S2Z5u-71jMwB

while not a great shot this will stick up to the left of the PSFS in this shot coming south on 95 - with this and the new mellon tower the skyline will look extended - FMC will also fill the western side on this approach

Also from Camden it will fill space between the St James and Soc Hill towers
https://www.flickr.com/photos/richar...-8Byg1M-f2iuma

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 2:35 PM

According to 1487 there are several workers and some machinery on site.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
According to 1487 there are several workers and some machinery on site.
I can corroborate this. Walked by today after getting off the subway. Workers on site, as well as tons of concrete blocks. I am not sure what the slabs are for (seems premature) but there is definitely activity going on at this site.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiLaw View Post
I can corroborate this. Walked by today after getting off the subway. Workers on site, as well as tons of concrete blocks. I am not sure what the slabs are for (seems premature) but there is definitely activity going on at this site.
Prior news reports said first step is interior asbestos removal. I assume stuff may have something to do with that.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Prior news reports said first step is interior asbestos removal. I assume stuff may have something to do with that.
you definitely wouldnt need a concrete truck for asbestos removal so Im not sure what is going on. Perhaps some work is taking place to brace one of the nearby structures or party walls.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
you definitely wouldnt need a concrete truck for asbestos removal so Im not sure what is going on. Perhaps some work is taking place to brace one of the nearby structures or party walls.
Hmmm. The only bracing or protection I could see would be for the church. The other buildings will be demo'd.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 7:29 PM

Is asbestos removal something that requires enough equipment or trucks that we absolutely would have noticed its removal? Or is it possible they have been working on that this summer and could potentially be finished with it?

I know the new south street CHoP tower is going through that and only cited a team of 8-12 or so to be doing the work... Probably not, just don't know how much beyond the worker's individual safety equipment would make the ongoing work obvious.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 1:52 AM

Noticed the lights on in first floor of the PIR building last few days I've walked by. Didn't see anybody coming or going though.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 12:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanChris View Post
Is asbestos removal something that requires enough equipment or trucks that we absolutely would have noticed its removal? Or is it possible they have been working on that this summer and could potentially be finished with it?

I know the new south street CHoP tower is going through that and only cited a team of 8-12 or so to be doing the work... Probably not, just don't know how much beyond the worker's individual safety equipment would make the ongoing work obvious.
You would see very few signs on the outside of asbestos removal. They do have to seal off entrances with plastic and have a special entrance to the building during the removal process but you wouldnt see a ton of trucks or outside action. We need someone to get some pics of this site to figure out what is going on. Its got to be related to demo of the PIR building in some way.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 4:10 PM

Article about this and a zoning notice on site!

http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/zon...rden-site.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive