HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 8:47 PM

Completely incomprehensible decision. As far as I can tell this is a total panic purchase if news of the Lloyd Center site are to be believed.

Quote:
Lloyd Center wasn’t going to work with the timeline or be impressive enough to ‘wow’ MLB officials. The property is only 27.1 acres and remains tied up by a variety of leases and contracts that make it tricky to obtain in a timely fashion. Also, a pro-MLB effort in Salt Lake City — “Big League Utah” — has evolved rapidly and is busy making a louder, more sophisticated pitch to Commissioner Rob Manfred.
I'd like to hear more about that because the total lack of suitable infrastructure at Red Tail means there's a very steep hill to climb for this to be ready to accept the influx of a shit ton of traffic. You think 217 is fucked up now???

The other bit they're calling an "entertainment district" will be interesting to see develop. I'm having trouble envisioning something there that would pull in the crowds.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 8:56 PM
Registered Ugly

This thing should be at the Washington Park soccer field. Fix the damn Vista Ridge tunnels, rework Jefferson to accommodate, put in a new MAX stop that dumps people underground at the park.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
Completely incomprehensible decision. As far as I can tell this is a total panic purchase if news of the Lloyd Center site are to be believed.

I'd like to hear more about that because the total lack of suitable infrastructure at Red Tail means there's a very steep hill to climb for this to be ready to accept the influx of a shit ton of traffic. You think 217 is fucked up now???

The other bit they're calling an "entertainment district" will be interesting to see develop. I'm having trouble envisioning something there that would pull in the crowds.
One more thing to note: Petco Park in SD would fit on the Lloyd property.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 1:06 AM

Weren’t infrastructure concerns one of the main reasons the Terminal 2 site was shelved? How on earth is RedTail any better in that regard? Completely laughable.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 4:11 AM

If the city is selling golf courses, stick it at Heron Lakes. Close toMAX and freeways.

I suspect Mayor Wheeler wanted to get some credit for bringing baseball to Portland and thinks selling a large piece of property that's outside city limits places the political burden of making it happen on others

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
If the city is selling golf courses, stick it at Heron Lakes. Close toMAX and freeways.

I suspect Mayor Wheeler wanted to get some credit for bringing baseball to Portland and thinks selling a large piece of property that's outside city limits places the political burden of making it happen on others
Excellent idea! Although there are many environmental constraints.

Last edited by sopdx; Feb 1, 2024 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 7:53 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post

This makes me think they are trying to buy a place holder site so they aren't out preformed by Salt Lake City. I am skeptical that a MLB stadium will be built at this site if Portland gets a team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Weren’t infrastructure concerns one of the main reasons the Terminal 2 site was shelved? How on earth is RedTail any better in that regard? Completely laughable.
Yeah, at this point, might as well go with Terminal 2 and the region can figure out the mass transit issues later.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 9:32 PM

Quote:
If the city is selling golf courses, stick it at Heron Lakes. Close to MAX and freeways.
I thought this, too. Look at an aerial of that area - there's a healthy chunk of land right next to the Max stop that's used for PIR parking. It's more than big enough for a stadium. All owned by the City of Portland.

Only thing that might be an issue would be the future bridge construction mucking up the area.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
This makes me think they are trying to buy a place holder site so they aren't out preformed by Salt Lake City. I am skeptical that a MLB stadium will be built at this site if Portland gets a team.

Yeah, at this point, might as well go with Terminal 2 and the region can figure out the mass transit issues later.
I've always felt that it would not have been that difficult to add a branch line from the Steel Bridge to Slabtown since there is already an existing rail corridor that they could easily tap into. This would have made Terminal 2 an awesome option IMO. It would likely get a solid amount of ridership year round with the industrial employees and all of the new housing going in to that area.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 2:42 PM

This would be such a waste, just like Braves. But maybe it's just a sign people are trying to divest from the city. Braves moved out from city to locate near the teams primary ticket holders. Moving toward beaverton would move team toward Nike, etc, and away from the issues the city has.

Looking at the area, this seems very odd for a major development though. Looks residential. As a poster said above, at least the Brave stadium feels like a natural spot for a (suburban style) major development. This looks random and very out of place.

Also, is this Beaverton or Portland? Mailing address is Beaverton, but they are trying to buy from Portland?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post

Also, is this Beaverton or Portland? Mailing address is Beaverton, but they are trying to buy from Portland?
It’s a City of Portland owned golf course in Washington County. Think the rationale originally was the need for a municipal golf course on the west side. Seems like Beaverton to me, but given how funky the city limits are I’m not sure.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 6:10 PM
A before E

Quote:
This would be such a waste, just like Braves. But maybe it's just a sign people are trying to divest from the city. Braves moved out from city to locate near the teams primary ticket holders. Moving toward beaverton would move team toward Nike, etc, and away from the issues the city has.

Looking at the area, this seems very odd for a major development though. Looks residential. As a poster said above, at least the Brave stadium feels like a natural spot for a (suburban style) major development. This looks random and very out of place.

I feel like this is just their way to own property for making a run for a team, not necessarily where the ballpark would go.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 6:36 PM
Registered Ugly

City Cast Portland podcast was bitching about this, but honestly they just sound really whiny. The more I think about this, I’d much rather deal with Beaverton government and residents for something like this than I would Portlanders. And maybe this way, Washington County will get more MAX lines since it’s subsidizing TriMet routes in Portland and has been for decades.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan View Post
It’s a City of Portland owned golf course in Washington County. Think the rationale originally was the need for a municipal golf course on the west side. Seems like Beaverton to me, but given how funky the city limits are I’m not sure.
This is within Beaverton city limits. Feels like Wheeler is trying to look like he is supporting baseball while dumping the problem in another city while collecting $50 million for a golf course that's not even within the city. I don't think this becomes the stadium site. Eventually this site will either be redeveloped as residential or Tualatin Valley Parks district buys it.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 2:32 PM

Quote:
This is within Beaverton city limits. Feels like Wheeler is trying to look like he is supporting baseball while dumping the problem in another city while collecting $50 million for a golf course that's not even within the city. I don't think this becomes the stadium site. Eventually this site will either be redeveloped as residential or Tualatin Valley Parks district buys it.
Wow that is interesting. Everything in the west hills toward Beaverton confuses me. My coworkers that live in "unincorporated Portland". WTF is that?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 5:10 PM
Registered Ugly

It just means they’re in unincorporated county with a Portland mailing address. Garden Home, Raleigh Hills, and almost everything north of 26 is not incorporated into a city. Aloha is the same, but it doesn’t have a Portland mailing address. One third of Washington County’s population (~200,000 people) live in urban but unincorporated areas, myself included. We get most of our services from special districts, such as CWS, THPRD, TVWD, ESPD, etc. The county handles planning and development functions. It’s probably similar in east Multnomah County.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 10:29 PM

Weird. Rose City? Where did that come from?

https://www.opb.org/article/2024/03/...ton-rose-city/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Weird. Rose City? Where did that come from?

https://www.opb.org/article/2024/03/...ton-rose-city/
I'm beginning to wonder if they sell Red Tail and MLB doesn't come to town, redevelopment orlf RedTail is what they are really after and the investors will make a huge profit. They seem a little too interested in acquiring Red Tail even though it's a poor location for MLB.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 7:55 PM
A before E

Quote:
I'm beginning to wonder if they sell Red Tail and MLB doesn't come to town, redevelopment orlf RedTail is what they are really after and the investors will make a huge profit. They seem a little too interested in acquiring Red Tail even though it's a poor location for MLB.
That does sound like a realistic outcome.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 8:00 PM

I sure hope PDP is paying close attention to what they are competing against. Salt Lake City just announced their plan, which has portions of it set to start development later this year and it looks amazing.

More on that project here...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment