HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Canyon Ranch Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 4:23 AM

I'll say it 100x before this thread is out, I love the way this meets the sidewalk. The setting will force everyone to take a step back and look up.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Chicago
I'll say it 100x before this thread is out, I love the way this meets the sidewalk. The setting will force everyone to take a step back and look up.
Base and sidewalk treatment reminds me of that of 17 State Street in New York.

The tower

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind
From the Saint James Cathedral website:

Plaza and Entrance
Is it just me, or does the glass on this building look an awful lot like the glass going up on Trump? It's not necessarily bad, two other buildings that look similar but still unique are JHC and Sears. But wouldn't it be better to have a bit more diversity in River North? Glassy high-rises beat concrete shitbox any day of the week, but from the looks of it Trump and 680 N. Rush will have remarkably similar facades, right down to the metal adornments between each window. Have they picked out those materials yet, or is the project still too early for that kind of detail?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 5:59 AM
Vertical Polyphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaul Bunyan
Is it just me, or does the glass on this building look an awful lot like the glass going up on Trump? Glassy high-rises beat concrete shitbox any day of the week, but from the looks of it Trump and 680 N. Rush will have remarkably similar facades, right down to the metal adornments between each window.
I was just thinking the same thing concerning 680 N. Rush and Trump, especially in that photo.^^^^

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 3:45 PM
The City

I find myself loving this proposal more and more over time..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 4:47 PM
welcome to the madness

Does anyone else see the irony of Episcopal Charities being relocated to a luxury highrise? So much for affordable housing...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 6:37 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I see it, but as an Episcopalian I can't really say I mind the denomination having such awesome digs to call their home.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 9:29 PM
welcome to the madness

No doubt, it's a nice project

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Bolivar
Does anyone else see the irony of Episcopal Charities being relocated to a luxury highrise? So much for affordable housing...

Let's see land prices have gone up incredibly since the Episcopals built the church and the Charities and the building....will be paying them...money. Seems like great business sense...not Ironic.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 4:10 AM

Part of the whole point of these church air-rights projects is to raise money to expand their charitable activities. For example, 4th Presby was going to build a new homeless support (or something along those lines) facility on West Chicago Avenue with the money earned from their condo tower.
And they won't technically be in the luxury highrise; they'll be underneath it, and they'll probably just have modest offices in those lower levels not too different from what they have now. So whatever irony there is, is solely superficial; when you take a closer look, there really is no irony.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2006, 7:47 PM

.........I really like the tower as well. The only criticism I have is that in the renderings the church seems awfully crowded by the tower.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2006, 6:50 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...realestate-hed

New buildings' massage services for health-minded residents

By Jane Adler

Special to the Tribune
Published September 17, 2006

How about a hot-stone massage with that new condo?

Seeking to attract mostly empty-nesters and the over 55 crowd, developers are adding spa treatments and services to new condo projects, such as Canyon Ranch Living-Chicago. The downtown high-rise is to start construction next year. Chicago-based LR Development Co. has teamed with Tucson's best-known spa operator, Canyon Ranch. The building will have 256 condos, 128 hotel-condos (for sale) and a combination spa and wellness center. The project also will include a restaurant. The 67-story building will be at 680 N. Rush St., adjacent to St. James Cathedral.

"What's different about this building is its integrative wellness approach," said Laura Sherman, senior vice president at LR Development. The building will offer not only spa treatments but also fitness counseling, access to Cleveland Clinic doctors and programs, stress management, a lecture series and nutrition advice. A Canyon Ranch high-rise is under construction in Miami Beach. It is slated to open this winter. Another project was planned for North Bethesda, Md., but the developer is re-evaluating because of rising construction costs and the market slowdown, news reports say. A representative for Canyon Ranch Living says, however, that the Maryland project has not been cancelled.

LR Development's Sherman says she expects Chicago sales to start this fall. Prices aren't available yet, though Sherman says it's a "high-end" building. Prices in the Miami Beach building start at about $700,000.

The Canyon Ranch project comes at a time when interest is growing in wellness communities, many of which are targeted at wealthy older people. Residents can get healthy food, a fitness trainer, and, in some cases, a spiritual adviser.

One such project is taking shape east of San Diego in Borrego Springs, Calif. It's called Montesoro and has townhouses along with single-family homes.

Developer Gregory Perlman of GH Capital said he has bought the local grocery store, which he plans to turn into an organic food market.

Everyone who has a home in Montesoro will be assigned to a service coordinator who will oversee the resident's well-being. Prices start at about $550,000.

At Canyon Ranch Living-Chicago, residents get a fitness club membership, with programs tailored to their needs.

But Canyon Ranch Living-Chicago "makes room for everyone," said Sherman. "It's a very non-judgmental atmosphere."

Old Posted Sep 17, 2006, 7:30 PM

That is a really nice tower.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2006, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkeoto
Is that pretty little three-flat tucked behind the ugly black thing going to stay?
No one really answers this question.

The 3 story brick building on the corner stays. If you look in the site plan above, you'll notice that it stays put.

I called the sales center yesterday, and they said that they probably wouldn't open until around the end of the year.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 12:44 AM

AMAZING design. I love it!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 1:58 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1

I called the sales center yesterday, and they said that they probably wouldn't open until around the end of the year.
That's not a good sign. Canyon Ranch is already likely to cancel a similar project in Washington DC due to the housing slowdown.

I hope the same doesn't happen in Chicago. River North certainly needs a well designed glass tower

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 2:37 AM

Well...that necessarily doesnt mean anything bad...I mean the project is likely to "start next" year probaly around the summer time and not in begining the of the year that you might of been thinking when reading that article above.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician
That's not a good sign. Canyon Ranch is already likely to cancel a similar project in Washington DC due to the housing slowdown.

I hope the same doesn't happen in Chicago. River North certainly needs a well designed glass tower
And you came to this conclusion because of another projects misfortunes 1,000 miles away? I believe they said it was going to be on hold not cancelled. The project here is going to be moving forward, but it takes time to get marketing materials, build a scale model and to complete floor plans.

Relax would ya?!

You get pesamistic too fast

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 3:27 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
And you came to this conclusion because of another projects misfortunes 1,000 miles away? I believe they said it was going to be on hold not cancelled. The project here is going to be moving forward, but it takes time to get marketing materials, build a scale model and to complete floor plans.

Relax would ya?!

You get pesamistic too fast
^ Well it's not just that. That other project was selling decently well, but the CR people put sales on hold seemingly preemptively based on perceived market changes. Also, lets not forget that a couple Hotel-Condo projects have already been cancelled downtown.

Another article, however, predicted that Canyon Ranch would be one of the projects that would be successful (along with Mandarin), since it has a good name, location, and theme. So there are mixed signals.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician
^ Well it's not just that. That other project was selling decently well, but the CR people put sales on hold seemingly preemptively based on perceived market changes. Also, lets not forget that a couple Hotel-Condo projects have already been cancelled downtown.

Another article, however, predicted that Canyon Ranch would be one of the projects that would be successful (along with Mandarin), since it has a good name, location, and theme. So there are mixed signals.
What hotel condos have been cancelled downtown?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive