HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
In the old days, this was called “Jewish lightning”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I still call it that...
FFS. What is wrong with you two?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 1:39 AM
surely you agree with me

I find it hard to believe it is at risk of collapse. It’s a solid concrete building.

It’s funny that the immediate reaction is yay! Now we can build a 20 storey tower. Like the only reason there aren’t more 20 storey towers is because there are no empty lots to put them in.

Word is the hotel scheme was done a year ago.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 2:42 AM

From what I was reading today when concrete heats and cools it looses its strength and any reinforcing steel may be also compromised. How much it looses strength and and at what heat depends on what the concrete mix was made with.

I am sure some of the structural guys on here can explain it better.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 3:25 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

In 1993 I worked for Prairie Public Tv's Canadian fundraising operation in that building. Didn't make enough $ to pay my own rent though. It was meant as a secondary/part-time type of job.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I find it hard to believe it is at risk of collapse. It’s a solid concrete building.

It’s funny that the immediate reaction is yay! Now we can build a 20 storey tower. Like the only reason there aren’t more 20 storey towers is because there are no empty lots to put them in.

Word is the hotel scheme was done a year ago.
Not so much a Yay on my part as not really lamenting this as a huge loss if in fact it ends up coming down. It's certainly a marketable site.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 4:55 AM
surely you agree with me

^ yeah. As far as heritage value goes. I agree. I just look at the acres of parking lots that surrounds it and I don’t have a lot of confidence that it is any more likely to be developed than they are.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I still call it that. Hopefully it was contained and did not do to much damage as id hate to lose another heritage building. I know some would say tear it down and build some ugly modern pos. But if this goes then it's only a matter of time for Nutty Club to go. Once one falls it has a domino effect.
"I still call it that"...I hate to think what you and that A-HOLE call Chinese people and other groups as well? "I still call it that." Glad u feel Proud to admit it.. SHAME ON U!
It is Abhorrent , Ugly, disgusting and offensive.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
In 1993 I worked for Prairie Public Tv's Canadian fundraising operation in that building. Didn't make enough $ to pay my own rent though. It was meant as a secondary/part-time type of job.
Me too!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 9:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Good for you. It is a dissgusting comment Vile!
Yeah I get it's not the most tactful comment but honestly, It's just that our PC society breeds SJWs who look for any reason to get upset and outraged over anything. Anything at all, that isn't part of Caucasian ethnic groups. I mean, how outraged would you be if it was a slam against any European white cultural group?

Last edited by Pinus; Sep 30, 2019 at 9:57 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 12:31 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ters-1.5302148

"The owner of a business next to a Winnipeg heritage building severely damaged by fire over the weekend said a blaze was inevitable because squatters routinely break into the vacant structure."

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^ yeah. As far as heritage value goes. I agree. I just look at the acres of parking lots that surrounds it and I don’t have a lot of confidence that it is any more likely to be developed than they are.
My comments are based on the fact that this building is not part of the Exchange cluster of offices and warehouses, so it's not like losing a building on Albert St. or some such where its loss would really be noticed. Portage Ave E. is basically a fallow area which has the benefit of being located next to the centre of the central business district... if developers were considering a totally new hotel build on south Main then I would think that this site has some potential too.

And as I said before, and if I'm wrong on this someone correct me, but it's not like the old days where you knock down an empty building and suddenly you can cash in on the surface parking income stream. New non-accessory parking lots are a no-go, so this would just end up as a vacant site anyway, a new building wouldn't necessarily have to compete with $200 a month x however many cars they can cram on the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post

"The owner of a business next to a Winnipeg heritage building severely damaged by fire over the weekend said a blaze was inevitable because squatters routinely break into the vacant structure."
Kind of weird because the Free Press story today quoted a Hyatt PR flack who said that the project was still on (even though as we know virtually nothing has been happening with the building for the past year). I guess the (lack of) action on the site speaks louder than Hyatt's words on this one.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 12:58 PM

Isn't there a new surface lot on Fort Street by Assiniboine?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
By UFG? That lot is not new, it has been there for decades.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 2:08 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
My comments are based on the fact that this building is not part of the Exchange cluster of offices and warehouses, so it's not like losing a building on Albert St. or some such where its loss would really be noticed. Portage Ave E. is basically a fallow area which has the benefit of being located next to the centre of the central business district... if developers were considering a totally new hotel build on south Main then I would think that this site has some potential too.
I agree...I am always a pessimist when it comes to these things.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
It's part of a lot that's been there forever, but when the site was redeveloped for UFG park, that triggered the parking area having to get a conditional use from the city... standalone surface parking lots aren't permitted downtown. They got temporary approval a couple of times... like, they can operate the 'new' parking lot but then have to re-apply five years later. This has happened twice now, and each time the Friends of Upper Fort Garry come to Council saying they're *this* close to building a World Class Facility bla bla bla and then get approval to operate the lot for another five years.

Another new "temporary" surface parking lot is on the formerly vacant piece of land on Main Street, just south of the Bank of BNA/Newmac/Palomino Club building.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
It's part of a lot that's been there forever, but when the site was redeveloped for UFG park, that triggered the parking area having to get a conditional use from the city... standalone surface parking lots aren't permitted downtown. They got temporary approval a couple of times... like, they can operate the 'new' parking lot but then have to re-apply five years later. This has happened twice now, and each time the Friends of Upper Fort Garry come to Council saying they're *this* close to building a World Class Facility bla bla bla and then get approval to operate the lot for another five years.
Thanks, I forgot about the details surrounding that. That said, I'm sure the conditional use approval must have taken into account the fact that there was a surface lot on that site for quite some time... it's easier to accept that sort of thing when it was a longstanding use as opposed to the footprint of a building that has just been damaged by fire.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 3:46 PM

OK, that all makes sense.

Maybe if this building has to come down they can build a giant mechanical parking garage with lifts instead of ramps.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post

Ya I think Hyatt or whoever the developer is has to be blamed for this one as they abandoned the place a year ago and did nothing to secure the building. Anyone could have scaled the outside construction elevator to get to the roof.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 4:17 PM

The fire fighters said it was contained to the 6th and 7th stories. And fell down the elevator shaft.

As of this morning on my bus ride, I didn't see any barricades or otherwise around the building. Seems like a good sign.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 4:20 PM

So is the City going to secure the damn building now?

Les Bester's comments on CBC resonated with me... consider the cost of 13 fire trucks & crew parked there for 12 hours, vs. hiring someone to board up and secure the entrances to prevent that from happening in the first place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan